PDA

View Full Version : Best Cams For A Trackcar?

ThRaXaIR
14-07-2009, 22:07
the next stage in my williams project is sportier Cams!

whats probably the best set on the market? whats the difference between fast road and race? because surely you would want to have the most powerful set you could get so why the different names?

also i was told you have to rev harder with non standard cams whats that all about?

cheers for any input!

rob-legend
14-07-2009, 22:25
stan is da man for you needs :D

stan
14-07-2009, 22:31
There are two fundamental limitations when it comes to camshafts:

Capable rpm of the engine.
OE Managment

These limitations are the typical variations between a road engine and a race engine.

For the first, you are limited by the mechanical rpm limit of the engine as a whole. Typically this is about 7500-7800rpm. This limitation is due to the standard conrods and bolts, pistons, and valve-train components--mainly the hydraulic followers. This therefore makes it not viable having a camshaft which allows for power to be made at say 9000rpm. This is where "no" you dont just go for the cam that gives best power, since if the engine physically cant safely rev upto there, then how is it going to make power?

Secondly the engine managment, since the standard engine uses a MAP sensor for load, limits the ammount of duration/overlap you can run without having low rpm fuelling and idling issues.

In my experience a camshaft which is a true 270degrees is about top whack for both of the ab0ove factors. This is a "road " engine (read fundamentally same internal spec as a road car, not literally just an engine used on the road)

Typically a cam with around 260-270 degrees duration is considered "fast road"---dont ask me why, thats just the way it is.

ThRaXaIR
15-07-2009, 19:16
you've written that before havent u? :P

ok so i would want fastroad cams then. does anyone make a better set than the rest? what else do u need besides cams and pulleys? anything else need changing when there fitting?

cheers

richy
15-07-2009, 19:21
new cambelt kit/aux belt while your in there

also if you wanted a new set of tappets as they can be had for around £50-£60

obviously the ecu remapped to suit after.

stan
16-07-2009, 07:22
you've written that before havent u? :P

ok so i would want fastroad cams then. does anyone make a better set than the rest? what else do u need besides cams and pulleys? anything else need changing when there fitting?

cheers

Catcams are a belgian company who make very good camshafts. Im a supplier for them, and can supply the cams for £456+vat and pulleys for £200+vat.
No other parts are required.
If you are intrested email me at info@ap-developments.com

ThRaXaIR
16-07-2009, 18:26
sounds good i'll e-mail you soon bout it. cheers man!