PDA

View Full Version : suspension upgrade

MattL
17-05-2009, 14:43
Hi,

im thinking about lowering my williams 2 by about 20mm and improve the handling.

i was looking at this kit, any good?
http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=1373

i heard you can put a 172 kit on, will that make it abit lower and improve handling?

is it worth buying powerflex poly bushes?
http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=2207

Thanks

MatBrown
17-05-2009, 14:49
Lowering a williams by 20mm will not improve the handling!
Renewing your worn components with genuine replacements will.

Mat.

The King
17-05-2009, 15:31
Agree 100% with Mat

katbloke
17-05-2009, 16:53
seconded, costs a bit but worth it in the long run

1995clio16v
17-05-2009, 23:30
Lowering a williams by 20mm will not improve the handling!Mat.

Looks good though!

:o

1995clio16v
17-05-2009, 23:36
In all seriousness though with lowering cars...am I not right in saying it will improve the handling but its all the extra wear and tear that is added, that is the big negative in doing it? **** man, my tyres wear SO BAD when I lowered the 16v. Its common sense isnt it, that anything with lower centre of gravity will be steadier? And im not just referring to cars here.

Is std ride height not the sort of 'compromise' on both, from the manufacturer?

Why are the WRC cars lowered to the extreme when it comes to tarmac stages if lowering a car doesnt improve the handling...?

1995clio16v
17-05-2009, 23:37
Btw I dont have a clue on physics/pro's cons of lowering, be interesting to know FACTS!!

8)

MAXIBOY
18-05-2009, 00:34
it does it lowers the centre of gravity...but unless the suspension is retuned to allow for the lowering it can upset a standard car with standard shocks and just lowered springs..

but yes in theory the lower the better..thats why the maxi's were run uber low..

The King
18-05-2009, 08:24
it does it lowers the centre of gravity...but unless the suspension is retuned to allow for the lowering it can upset a standard car with standard shocks and just lowered springs..

but yes in theory the lower the better..thats why the maxi's were run uber low..

You are confusing running low, with running big wheels in small arches to give the impression of running low. An easy mistake to make for a novice. I suggest you look at the ground clearence on a maxi and compare it with a standard williams.

The ground clearence of the Group A car is near as damn it the same as a standard williams. See pic below.

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/gazfives/images/Renault_Clio_Williams__Rally_Car.jpg

Rally cars generally dont run low because they run on uneven ground and need adequate ground clearence.

Wobba
18-05-2009, 11:42
A standard car with new parts handles superbly, and saves all the pain and hassle of getting a suspension setup bang on with stuff like height adjustable/damper adjustable stuff. Believe me, it's a pain as if you have a problem with handling you have to factor in that it could be the settings or failed aftermarket parts. Makes it a lot harder to diagnose why, for example, your car pulls to the left etc.

Yes you ride higher, but the payoff is the feedback you get. You lose feedback with a stiffer car and on our shit roads end up travelling slower as you end up getting fed up of teeth clattering pot-holes and listening to what sounds like your car ripping itself apart as it crashes over poor surfaces.

You also face the unreliability of aftermarket struts, if you go down that route.

If it's just springs you are after, 20mm is not too much I guess, probably be ok with that but adjusting the rear a little would be wise.

Car looks nicer though ;)

The King
18-05-2009, 13:37

To some maybe. To others it looks like a chavvy barry boy car.

Wobba
18-05-2009, 13:52
Depends how subtle it is really. Big wheels and too low, I'd agree.

J o n
18-05-2009, 13:56

To some maybe. To others it looks like a chavvy barry boy car.

you'd barely notice 20mm to look at... hardly chav.

but personally I'd stick to standard and just refresh everything.

MAXIBOY
18-05-2009, 15:11
You are confusing running low, with running big wheels in small arches to give the impression of running low. An easy mistake to make for a novice. I suggest you look at the ground clearence on a maxi and compare it with a standard williams.[/quote]

how about you come back with an answer when you have any idea..

i know more about these cars than you will ever..

maxi's ran uber low on tarmac... 8) much lower than group A cars..

i have looked into this more than you..i have built a replica..and now about the clearance..

go bait elsewhere your such a fool.. :lol:

1995clio16v
18-05-2009, 18:18
Looks like numb nuts is back using another username.

I say 'king of the cunts'

MattL
18-05-2009, 18:32
after a long think about it, what i might do is renew most of the suspension with standard williams parts and then buy some after market springs 25mm and 172 cup dampers,lower the back to match the front. will that be a good setup? or buy FK coilovers

The King
18-05-2009, 19:05
You are confusing running low, with running big wheels in small arches to give the impression of running low. An easy mistake to make for a novice. I suggest you look at the ground clearence on a maxi and compare it with a standard williams.

i have looked into this more than you..i have built a replica..and now about the clearance..

go bait elsewhere your such a fool.. :lol:[/quote]

A replica?

:lol:

You are totally delusional. You have built a turbo clio with a maxi body kit.

It has different gearbox, suspension, wheels, spoiler, engine, seats, harnesses, bias valve, pedals, bonnet, brakes, front lights, exhaust, manifold, engine mounts, drive shafts cage and is a different colour.

But apart from that its a replica. Well done.

J o n
18-05-2009, 19:06
after a long think about it, what i might do is renew most of the suspension with standard williams parts and then buy some after market springs 25mm and 172 cup dampers,lower the back to match the front. will that be a good setup? or buy FK coilovers

dont touch FK's, cheap shite and poor quality and damping. spend big or stay standard mate honestly

MAXIBOY
18-05-2009, 19:17

go bait elsewhere your such a fool.. :lol:

A replica?

:lol:

You are totally delusional. You have built a turbo clio with a maxi body kit.

It has different gearbox, suspension, wheels, spoiler, engine, seats, harnesses, bias valve, pedals, bonnet, brakes, front lights, exhaust, manifold, engine mounts, drive shafts cage and is a different colour.

But apart from that its a replica. Well done.[/quote]

still closer than you have ever got..and i still no much more than you..

anyway another thread i can't be bothered with... 8)

Wobba
18-05-2009, 19:23
I've spent shitloads of effort and money on suspension mate. Messing about with non standard stuff has done my nut in. -20mm springs should be ok as I said before.

Unless you are willing to get involved in months of replacing stuff and checking settings to remove those final niggles stay OE.

As said before, either go expensive or not at all. If I had endless cash I'd have the best you can get and get it professionally set up for road use, but that costs.