PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable damper settings

Wobba
10-05-2009, 23:29
Ok, I have adjustable front and rear AVO's at mo, running roughly 40mm lower front and rear.

I have it set to max damping at the moment on the front and setting 5 out of 10 at the rear. I am thinking of trying the damping the other way round to see what it's like, but wonder at other people's settings...and why.

Jamie.
10-05-2009, 23:38
Have a word with evo gone. He run's some coilies and copying a cup set up. Maybe able to give an indication of what to run etc.

Saying this I may just go with fronts on 7, rears on 5 and have a play and see what you prefer.

Evogone
11-05-2009, 00:01
Usually stiffer at the rear is better..

Dont know the range of your dampers but try this but it is down to preference.

Wobba
11-05-2009, 00:33
Well, at mo I have the rear pretty much stripped out, so its quite light. Perhaps stiffer at rear then.I only set the fronts to max, as I wasn't sure if both dampers were damping at the same rate due to a possible problem with one, so I set it to a universal setting, max.

I'm going to test this out and see what happens, as currently I feel its not giving as much fun factor as it should be and can get unstable at times.

Jamie.
11-05-2009, 10:47
I had some set on max at the rear and it was a bit skittish if you pushed. I did spin it actually becuase the rear would just let go without warning.

J o n
11-05-2009, 10:55
I run my rears on my car softer than the front. It really all depends on how good your dampers are and what sort of spring rate you use doesn't it?

Wobba
11-05-2009, 10:59
I am wondering at the options for the springs on AVO's. Sometimes it feels like they are not very progressive. Not sure what poundage they are as standard on the GTZ's...

jay s
11-05-2009, 16:47
think avo use a 250lb spring on the coilovers.

i run my front on max and rear as half, as said stiff rear makes it way to unstable due to no weight. also good to have the front a slighty lower height than rear.

Richardcard1974
11-05-2009, 18:18
There is no right setting. Each driver will like a different set up. Personally i like a little understeer as i cant drive a car with oversteer.

Set up the car how you like it for the surface you are driving on by testing it.

Start with the settings in the 'middle' and see what happens to the cars behaviour as you change it. Learn to feel the car and what it does.

Remember to only change one thing at a time. Id also write down what a particular change does so you can assess the data at the end of the test session. It may take you 6 months to get the car how you like it doing this.

On a wet track or road you generally make the dampers softer all round by the same amount from your dry settings.

richy
11-05-2009, 18:44
std springs are 250lb as said, you can buy tender springs(these are not helpers) in varying rates and run them with a main spring, there is a calculation somewere which allows you to get the right tender/main spring combo. This allows the tender spring to work at lower rates say for example 150lb and then the main spring takes over after X amount, helps for road driving with different surfaces etc

infact if you have a look at eibachs website they also had a calculater thing and list of different rate/height main/tender and helper springs depending what application you wanna run it for.

i changed mine to a set of 350lb without no helper or tender springs, but i dont drive the car on road much at all so wasnt worried about that, generally i run the dampers at the rear about 3/4 (not sure how many clicks tbh) and fronts are about half way last time i checked. and tbh its not to bad on back roads, just have to avoid any pot holes lol

only way to find the ideal set-up is to play about and see what you like though, depends on your driving style etc

Evogone
11-05-2009, 19:50
[quote="Richardcard1974"]Personally i like a little understeer as i cant drive a car with oversteer.

quote]

Why would you want understeer, you want a balanced car. If anything neutral and you still want adjustability on the throttle. An understeering car is the slowest option but yes it is the easiest to drive and wrecks front tyres. All the best handling cars are neutral to oversteer bias never understeer.

The rallycar is very easy on tyres as it very neutral but you car adjust the car on the throttle. You dont need very expensive suspension just it set up correctly. If you fit a LSD then the set up need to change particularly tracking, bit of toe out does the trick. Parallel it just doesnt turn in.

Richardcard1974
11-05-2009, 19:51
I want understeer because i like understeer. Is that OK with you?

Good.

Evogone
11-05-2009, 19:53
I want understeer because i like understeer. Is that OK with you?

Good.

Fine by me just means you carnt drive the thing (well how do you know you have never driven properly). Why bother getting decent bits on a competition car when you set it up to go slow.

Doesnt make sense.....

Richardcard1974
11-05-2009, 19:56
[quote=Richardcard1974]Personally i like a little understeer as i cant drive a car with oversteer.

quote]

Why would you want understeer, you want a balanced car. If anything neutral and you still want adjustability on the throttle. An understeering car is the slowest option but yes it is the easiest to drive and wrecks front tyres. All the best handling cars are neutral to oversteer bias never understeer.

The rallycar is very easy on tyres as it very neutral but you car adjust the car on the throttle. You dont need very expensive suspension just it set up correctly. If you fit a LSD then the set up need to change particularly tracking, bit of toe out does the trick. Parallel it just doesnt turn in.

So understeer is slow is it?

Have you ever heard of Fernando Alonso? The F1 driver. The F1 driver known for his like of an understeering car. I suggest you watch some of his videos on line. His car understeers a lot. Thats how he likes it.

World champion 2005-2006.

Id get on the phone if i were you and tell him hes been doing it all wrong and he should change his set up to neutral.

Link for Proof. www.autosport.com for more info

http://www.evo.co.uk/features/features/226401/20_things_you_didnt_know_about_f1.html

For instance, Alonso likes understeer and so has more ballast at the front.

Wobba
11-05-2009, 20:47
Thanks for the input guys.

16v_paddy
11-05-2009, 20:52
I haven't got adjustables but I like really stiff at the back & standard softness at the front, helps to sort the understeer into oversteer by letting off ever so slightly, good fun :twisted:

J o n
11-05-2009, 20:53

lol

I took my car to Prodrive to setup my FK silverlines when I had them as it was horrible to drive. I basically said I wanted it as neutral and progressive as possible and they spent the day setting it up. Was expensive but it was exactly how I wanted it... might be worth just getting it done somewhere like that or Powerstation?

Richardcard1974
11-05-2009, 21:41

lol

I took my car to Prodrive to setup my FK silverlines when I had them as it was horrible to drive. I basically said I wanted it as neutral and progressive as possible and they spent the day setting it up. Was expensive but it was exactly how I wanted it... might be worth just getting it done somewhere like that or Powerstation?

I assume you got rid of these to buy the quality ones?

J o n
11-05-2009, 21:45

lol

I assume you got rid of these to buy the quality ones?

Jamie.
11-05-2009, 22:21
I am happy for you to **** about in the threads you currently have going - but do not destroy Wobba's thread too.

Try to keep the insestuant arguments to only a couple of threads?

Richardcard1974
11-05-2009, 22:39
Did i not give some of my time to give a detailed answer above?

Its give and take Jamie. I have given, and the OP is happy with the responses and has said thank you. I assume he has enough to go on.

I have provided just as much useful information in this thread as anyone else.

Richardcard1974
11-05-2009, 22:39
There is no right setting. Each driver will like a different set up. Personally i like a little understeer as i cant drive a car with oversteer.

Set up the car how you like it for the surface you are driving on by testing it.

Start with the settings in the 'middle' and see what happens to the cars behaviour as you change it. Learn to feel the car and what it does.

Remember to only change one thing at a time. Id also write down what a particular change does so you can assess the data at the end of the test session. It may take you 6 months to get the car how you like it doing this.

On a wet track or road you generally make the dampers softer all round by the same amount from your dry settings.

jay s
11-05-2009, 22:51
nowt wrong with fk thankyou :wink: well apart froom when the shocks bend but you get free replacements :lol:

J o n
11-05-2009, 23:27
nowt wrong with fk thankyou :wink: well apart froom when the shocks bend but you get free replacements :lol:

they were okay, I just got the chance to upgrade at a great price and the difference was vast... it just changed my perspective on coilovers.

Evogone
11-05-2009, 23:35
[quote=Richardcard1974]Personally i like a little understeer as i cant drive a car with oversteer.

quote]

So understeer is slow is it?

Have you ever heard of Fernando Alonso? The F1 driver. The F1 driver known for his like of an understeering car. I suggest you watch some of his videos on line. His car understeers a lot. Thats how he likes it.

World champion 2005-2006.

Id get on the phone if i were you and tell him hes been doing it all wrong and he should change his set up to neutral.

Link for Proof. www.autosport.com for more info

http://www.evo.co.uk/features/features/226401/20_things_you_didnt_know_about_f1.html

For instance, Alonso likes understeer and so has more ballast at the front.

Did you not watch the GP this weekend Martin B had a 15 min slot about suspension and even he said it was the slowest setup and screws front tyres. F1 drivers only have it when the car doesnt work....

next time i see Alonso i will ask him :wink: