PDA

View Full Version : polycarbonate windows ?

schakal
07-05-2009, 16:43
anyone using them on a daily driver/occassional track whore
(r26r owner even :)) ??
few general questions about them just out of interest really

1-can they be made to function like the original glass items do ?
i.e : could they be mounted up to the window winder mech (manual or electric ) to wind up and down ? even though i have not inspected them in
flesh i cant see why this cant be done unless i am missing the point big style here ??

2-are there any downsides to using them especially on a daily driver ?
i.e : do they scratch easily making it a bitch to see through side windows?
do they fail the mot test etc ?

3-whats the rough amount of weight saved using them on a clio ?
i am talking weight saved by removal of glass only not winder mechanisms or other shizzle :wink:
excluding the windscreen of course .

4-what about winter time with poly stuff ? especially the rear screen ?
is there a solution for defrosting /demisting similar to heated rear screen??

MAXIBOY
07-05-2009, 17:01
1..yes they can but missing the point as the electrics are the heaviest part.. maybe with manuals..

2..not really..except they don't open on the front.

3..about 5kgs iirc.

4..not that i'm aware of.

hamloin
07-05-2009, 17:36
i got them on the rear 3 of my 5. if u use them with winders they scratch to buggery and u cant see.

but the rear 3 are fine i would say they are half the weight of glass.
on my tail gate i removed all the crap wipers ect and fitted poly and took the grinder to any un essential metal bits it went from 14kgs to 7

now my power to weight is 200bhp per ton [better than most scoobys] love it

Richardcard1974
07-05-2009, 20:04
After washing the car a few times the polycarbonate will be scratched. I would never fit them to a road car.

schakal
07-05-2009, 20:14
3..about 5kgs iirc.

only 5 kgs for the lot ?? :shock: :shock:
fook that , i could easily loose that by shaving my testicles :D

MAXIBOY
07-05-2009, 21:15
yeah about a kilo a window...maybe two for the rear but if you remove rear wipers electric window motors wiring switches etc might be closer to 10kg for the lot..

Richardcard1974
07-05-2009, 21:17
You can save more with 2mm polycarbs, but they arent fia legal, as the minimum thickness is 4mm. So you remove 2mm glass and end up fitting 4mmm polycarbs, so you save very little weight.

Better off converting to a cabriolet ifyou want to save weight.

Coops
08-05-2009, 09:46
dont scratch up as much as you'd think despite washing if your gentle and use a proper wash mitt and 2 bucket to eliminate grit etc. despite what the 'doctor' says, also they pc back up again a treat.

no discoulouration as yet either despite the car being stored outside in sun etc

wouldn't use winders etc, they will scratch up badly in minutes

pass mot no problem

they do leak a bit of water on the fronts but it all goes into the door and out the drain holes, not into the car itself

its a lot of weight saved with all the gubbins removed aswell

no way to demist rear screen quickly but tbh car doesnt get used much in winter and when it does i just leave it to heat up for a few mins and it clear on internal heaters

schakal
08-05-2009, 17:57
it sounds too much of a hassle to loose little weight imo .
i will just shave da ballzz instead :D

Richardcard1974
08-05-2009, 18:03
Why not convert to an auto box and become and amputee?

stew
09-05-2009, 13:47
You can save more with 2mm polycarbs, but they arent fia legal, as the minimum thickness is 4mm. So you remove 2mm glass and end up fitting 4mmm polycarbs, so you save very little weight.

i think it is safe to say there is no way that clio glass is 2mm. its at least 3mm but im pretty sure its 4mm, the same thickness as the polycarbonate windows i replaced it with.

polycarbs weigh half the weight of glass, plus if fixed means a huge saving of all the electric window regulators and window tracking etc.

yeah polycarb does scratch easy, but if your careful its not too bad. glass polish works well to remove the light scratches anyway.

simonr85
09-05-2009, 19:55
Why not convert to an auto box and become and amputee?

f*** me just nearly choked on my tea, thats a good way of saving weight, how much do u reckon u wud save cutting off ur leg???

webby
09-05-2009, 19:57
not much if it was his middle 1 :wink:

Richardcard1974
09-05-2009, 20:25

polycarbs weigh half the weight of glass, plus if fixed means a huge saving of all the electric window regulators and window tracking etc.

No.

schakal
09-05-2009, 21:06

we have not all got tiny penises like yourself :wink:

:D

webby
09-05-2009, 21:07

im the bigger man for admiting it :lol:

schakal
09-05-2009, 21:11

im the bigger man for admiting it :lol:

i did not mean to RUB IT in ,sorry :(

stew
11-05-2009, 21:33

No.

erm yes, or as near as dammit.

and im interested to see your 2mm thick glass..... :?

webby
11-05-2009, 21:36

generally cabriolet weigh more i think u may find mukka :wink: lots of different parts added weighing in more than the metal roof :wink:

Richardcard1974
11-05-2009, 22:20
Renault 5 cab is 50 kgs lighter than the hard top.

webby
11-05-2009, 22:21
"generally"

schakal
11-05-2009, 22:30
Renault 5 cab is 50 kgs lighter than the hard top.

rob , i dont think renault 5 s came as cabs from the factory
iirc some company in europe converted a few themselves :wink:

Richardcard1974
11-05-2009, 22:44
Where did i say they came from a factory? Link please.

schakal
11-05-2009, 23:05
Where did i say they came from a factory? Link please.

i just told you they dont .
there see
http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35330&highlight=

Justin..
12-05-2009, 00:44
hahaha :lol:

webby
12-05-2009, 15:58
so the point in this topic was to save weight..... u argue a cabs is lighter and the only example is a car that didnt have them as standard and when fitted was made by a company probably trying to save weight??? so back to what i said... cabs generally are lighter me old m8 :wink:

Evogone
12-05-2009, 16:07
so the point in this topic was to save weight..... u argue a cabs is lighter and the only example is a car that didnt have them as standard and when fitted was made by a company probably trying to save weight??? so back to what i said... cabs generally are lighter me old m8 :wink:

Modern day convertables are usually heavier due to all the reinforcement / saftey requirements and fancy roof mechanisms.

webby
12-05-2009, 16:12
yeah that was why i stated they are heavier. was just a reply to a silly comment made about cabs bein lighter.