PDA

View Full Version : Ktec 421 manifolds

ThRaXaIR
24-04-2009, 23:52
http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=380&pic=2

would paying an extra hundred notes for the stainless one actually give anymore power? cos personally i dont care what it looks like so if the mild steel unshiny version does the same that sounds good to me!

i'd be wrapping it as well anyway so you wouldnt even see the shine!

cheers

2 live
25-04-2009, 01:25
looks like a slightly lighter valver mani to me tbh. ud be better off with that...and save yourself a couple hundred quid.

sideways danny
25-04-2009, 02:51
a slight side note, but DONT wrap mild steel manifolds. That's the fastest way to make them rot that I know of. A friend went through 5 manifolds in 2 years on an rs turbo by using heat wrap on mild steel

MAXIBOY
25-04-2009, 13:36
how about ceramic coatings..

would they last longer then..

ThRaXaIR
25-04-2009, 19:28
a valver manifold? but surely the point in buying this is due to the 4-2-1 setup. valvers arent 421's are they?

ceramic coating sounds nice, thanks for the heads up on wrapping.

volymmannen
25-04-2009, 19:36
a valver manifold? but surely the point in buying this is due to the 4-2-1 setup. valvers arent 421's are they?

ceramic coating sounds nice, thanks for the heads up on wrapping.
valver are 4-2-1

summeh
25-04-2009, 22:19
the stainless steel one in the picture is a supersprint 4-2-1... not sure what the mild steel one is, probably a cheap copy with welded sections.

By the way the description of the stainless is a bit of a lie:

"They are constructed from very high grade stainless steel"

Bullshit, they are constructed from F304, which is a cheap grade!

But does the job... they do tend to crack tho, poor construction funnily enough, had mine welded twice now.

ThRaXaIR
25-04-2009, 23:16
cool well all in all i'll stick with my wrapped willy manifold then.

cheers

MAXIBOY
25-04-2009, 23:37
a slight side note, but DONT wrap mild steel manifolds. That's the fastest way to make them rot that I know of. A friend went through 5 manifolds in 2 years on an rs turbo by using heat wrap on mild steel

you have a wrapped willy manifold... :shock:

sideways danny
26-04-2009, 13:32

you have a wrapped willy manifold... :shock:

que?? I can assure you I dont... I dont own a clio.

MAXIBOY
26-04-2009, 13:34
no mate three posts up...

wrapped willy manifold.. :D

sideways danny
26-04-2009, 13:43
ahhhh I see. LOL you think we should point out willy manifold is mild steel then? ;)

jay s
26-04-2009, 13:46
the stainless steel one in the picture is a supersprint 4-2-1... not sure what the mild steel one is, probably a cheap copy with welded sections.

By the way the description of the stainless is a bit of a lie:

"They are constructed from very high grade stainless steel"

bulls**t, they are constructed from F304, which is a cheap grade!

But does the job... they do tend to crack tho, poor construction funnily enough, had mine welded twice now.

gotta disagree, i reckon they crack from poor fitting or not fitting/adjusting the conical joint correctly. ive had mine fitted for nearly 3 years now covered over 40k and still going strong with no cracks what so ever :D

summeh
26-04-2009, 19:55
lucky you, how are your engine mounts? lots of factors to be honest, mines welded up a goodun now but before it was only tig welded very lightly so the joints were quite weak. Wouldn't have taken much. Also that joint is shit, its totally in the wrong place. Poor design and construction in my opinion.

ThRaXaIR
26-04-2009, 21:03
i do but its not fitted yet. so if thats so bad then what have you all done with your manifolds? left em standard or something more interesting? :D

jay s
26-04-2009, 23:01
lucky you, how are your engine mounts? lots of factors to be honest, mines welded up a goodun now but before it was only tig welded very lightly so the joints were quite weak. Wouldn't have taken much. Also that joint is s**t, its totally in the wrong place. Poor design and construction in my opinion.

eng mounts are in all in good condition changed the whole lot 2 years ago. running a powerflex dogbone which probably helps to stop it moving so much. my car is'nt exactly low either so it stay away from most speedhumps which is just as well living in speephump heaven ( london ) :roll:

thaijedi
27-04-2009, 12:11
i own the k-tec mild steel manifold and its worth every penny. for get the ss one i was in k-tec talking with sean and the owner and they assured me there is no performance differance between the to.

Not sure about what the chap was saying wraping the mild steel will make it rot.. I was at CC engine speichlests and they assured me it was the wright thing to do and they build race cars and come rec on the R5 owners club.

Richardcard1974
27-04-2009, 18:27
i own the k-tec mild steel manifold and its worth every penny. for get the ss one i was in k-tec talking with sean and the owner and they assured me there is no performance differance between the to.

Not sure about what the chap was saying wraping the mild steel will make it rot.. I was at CC engine speichlests and they assured me it was the wright thing to do and they build race cars and come rec on the R5 owners club.

Can we see a pic please?

stan
27-04-2009, 18:55
Wrapping them causes condensation build up when not in use, hence corrosion of mild steel.

M@X
29-04-2009, 17:26
I fitted a mild steel one last week and its fine. apart from as soon as i fired it up all the paint burnt off! So it was not painted with high temp paint as it should have been. opens up the top end alot compared to the
standard mani, quite impressed really.
Cheers Max

spikey-ben
11-05-2009, 10:40
I fitted a wrapped k-tec mildsteel manifold a few weeks ago and found it made a bit of difference in the power. The main reason why i went for mild steel over s/s was ease of repair if it ever cracked.

katbloke
11-05-2009, 22:20
anyone ver tried to find a stainless version of original manifold and downpipe?

thaijedi
12-05-2009, 08:50
no point.. wont make any diferance in power as its the shape, size and how the pipes meat that change power out puts.

The 4-1 causes to much back preasure to colse to the block thats why many of us eather have a supersprint of mild steel K-Tec 4-2-1 mani's

Evogone
12-05-2009, 09:20
Are the Ktec manifolds identical to the supersprint (excluding material) ?

spikey-ben
12-05-2009, 14:17
Are the Ktec manifolds identical to the supersprint (excluding material) ?
Ive been told they are as good, apart from s/s k-tec one has been tig welded ( iirc non purged) and the m/steel one has been MIG'ed. Couldnt say about the supersprint on though im afraid.
For anyone who dosent no about purge welding - all it is basically when you weld tube. Its alot better if you fill the internal void of the tube with inert gas when you weld the outside of the tube. This i have be informed give it alot smoother internal face and slightly stronger.

talkingfish
11-07-2009, 18:01
so the non-stainless one is stronger then?? the only reason to get the stainless one is looks - it won't rust but it will crack - correct??

matty w
11-07-2009, 19:32
i've got the mild steel version then i had it alluminium coated seems ok so far