PDA

View Full Version : gearbox

babblescliowilliams
22-04-2009, 20:51
i have a mark 1 clio williams and want to upgrade it and what to know what gearbox to replace it with .for acceration not top end speed thanks

MAXIBOY
22-04-2009, 20:56
whats your budget.

Richardcard1974
22-04-2009, 22:57
Hewland box - 15k
Sadev dog box sequential - 6k
Sadev dog box H pattern - 5k
Straight cut internals - 3.5k
Avanti internals - 3k
Mk1 1.4 JB1 box - 50 quid

MAXIBOY
22-04-2009, 23:14
Hewland box - 15k
Avanti internals - 3k

Mk1 1.4 JB1 box - 50 quid (every six months) :lol:

Evogone
22-04-2009, 23:15
lowered final drive and lsd from gripper in a JC5 williams box - 1300 quid plus fitting.

This will transform your car, i laugh sometimes i drive mine its awsome nearly half the cost of a new gearset..!!!

stan
22-04-2009, 23:26
BUT NOT THE SAME AS A NEW GEARSET!

Drive a Clio with a proper box and you will be smiling even more.

Richardcard1974
22-04-2009, 23:29
lowered final drive and lsd from gripper in a JC5 williams box - 1300 quid plus fitting.

This will transform your car, i laugh sometimes i drive mine its awsome nearly half the cost of a new gearset..!!!

There has never been a better time to buy a new gearset. Gearsets only go up. There is a limited supply and huge demand. Interest rates are low. Buy as many as possible, rent them out and then in 6 months when prices go back up sell them for a quick profit.

This time next year rodders weel orl bee miyonaires.

MAXIBOY
22-04-2009, 23:32
BUT NOT THE SAME AS A NEW GEARSET!

Drive a Clio with a proper box and you will be smiling even more.

all the ones i have found seem to be close ratio..ok for the OP not ideal for a wide power band torque heavy road car.. :?

stan
22-04-2009, 23:33
Yes all the gearsets typically are close ratio.

my point is, lowering the final drive with a STD gearset, wont make it close ratio.

MAXIBOY
22-04-2009, 23:38
agreed...

:lol:

Richardcard1974
22-04-2009, 23:45

:lol: Transform the car into a bag of nails.

Evogone
23-04-2009, 00:25

LoL - who cares what you think spongebob

Evogone
23-04-2009, 00:37
Yes all the gearsets typically are close ratio.

my point is, lowering the final drive with a STD gearset, wont make it close ratio.

Stan for 1300 you get the performance of close ratio box and LSD. 2k for a close ratio sync gear only no diff set so less performance for the money.

The gears are closer together as a ratio due to the FD and not the gears themselves but has exactly the same effect. 1st still usable and 120mph at 7.5k in 5th as i found out at the last event.!!

I have driven a car with a synco close ratio gearset and it does just as good a job. Love it in mine made a huge jump in performance. Dogbox would be better but then it 3k for a second hand one, rather spend that money on a different car with sequential.

No regrets what so ever, why spend money when you dont need to with a gearset you need to get a LSD aswell and the avanti one is another 1500 quid.

4k for an avanti box with LSD

vs

1500 for a rebuilt JC5 with diff and new FD

No brainer...

stan
23-04-2009, 00:57
You mustnt be grasping the concepts of gear ratios too well!!!

1st and second gear ARE THE SAME RATIO, no matter what the final drive is. 3rd and 4th, as is 5th IS THE SAME RATIO no matter what the final drive is.
SO, no matter what the final drive is, the step in rpm/mph between these gears is the same. THEY arent closer together, NEITHER do you get the same effect.
There is no argument there. This is not my opinion, this is FACT.

By lowering the final drive ratio on a std cluster, you are simply making the lower gears more useless. You may not feel this as much now, but when you start playing with a higher spec engine, it will be very much more inclined to break traction under accln, as the lower gears are that much lower.
HENCE with a close ratio gear set, or a sadev box they INCREASE the gear ratio of 1st, bringing it not ar off equivalent to std 2nd gear. Making the lower gears alot more usable.

The "no brainer" would have been for you to keep the Sadev dog-box you supposedly bought for £2500, then "sold to buy an LCD TV".
As opposed to spending £1500 or whatever on a std box plus LSD. Worlds apart in terms of performance....shift is UNBELIEVABLY faster than std.
:wink:
Who did you sell it to by the way?

franksvalver
23-04-2009, 02:34
I think ill pull away in second in future then

Evogone
23-04-2009, 08:29
You mustnt be grasping the concepts of gear ratios too well!!!

1st and second gear ARE THE SAME RATIO, no matter what the final drive is. 3rd and 4th, as is 5th IS THE SAME RATIO no matter what the final drive is.
SO, no matter what the final drive is, the step in rpm/mph between these gears is the same. THEY arent closer together, NEITHER do you get the same effect.
There is no argument there. This is not my opinion, this is FACT.

By lowering the final drive ratio on a std cluster, you are simply making the lower gears more useless. You may not feel this as much now, but when you start playing with a higher spec engine, it will be very much more inclined to break traction under accln, as the lower gears are that much lower.
HENCE with a close ratio gear set, or a sadev box they INCREASE the gear ratio of 1st, bringing it not ar off equivalent to std 2nd gear. Making the lower gears alot more usable.

The "no brainer" would have been for you to keep the Sadev dog-box you supposedly bought for £2500, then "sold to buy an LCD TV".
As opposed to spending £1500 or whatever on a std box plus LSD. Worlds apart in terms of performance....shift is UNBELIEVABLY faster than std.
:wink:
Who did you sell it to by the way?

Yes i do we have had this conversation offline before:-

The gears are the same agreed but this has exactly the same effect as closer gears with the reduced final drive:-

Use a gearbox calculator....

There is approx:-

STD box – 25mph Speed drop between gears

New FD - 20mph speed drop between gears

Avanti box – 17/18mph speed drop between gears

Avanti

Speed 1st Gear

Speed 2nd Gear

Speed 3rd Gear

Speed 4th Gear

Speed 5th Gear

CWP 5.25 std box

Speed 1st Gear
mph

Speed 2nd Gear
mph

Speed 3rd Gear
mph

Speed 4th Gear
mph

Speed 5th Gear
mph

First is usable (on really tight chicanes) and I never use 5th currently so it work for me. Get near enough the same benefits for 1k rather than 2k plus i get a low first gear which is perfect for tight chicanes and off the startline so a bit easier on the clutch.

Regards to wheelspin you dont get much with Michelin slicks and a LSD so thats certainly not an issue.

Regards TV then it was a Pioneer Plasma as Rallying is not my only hobby as im in AV and Hi-Fi stuff to.

This is the way i went and have no regrets in recommending it to anyone. I guess you havent sold you Close ratio box yet....

Evogone
23-04-2009, 08:33
Info altogether.

CWP
All @ 7000rpm Close ratio 5.25 4.8 4.05
Speed 1st Gear 47.40 29.30 31.83 37.98 mph
Speed 2nd Gear 66.08 48.60 52.79 63.00 mph
Speed 3rd Gear 83.30 68.52 74.43 88.82 mph
Speed 4th Gear 101.32 87.99 95.57 114.06 mph
Speed 5th Gear 119.75 114.03 123.86 147.82 mph

29.30 31.83 37.98
47.40 48.60 52.79 63.00
66.08 68.52 74.43 88.82
83.30 87.99 95.57 114.06
101.32 114.03 123.86 147.82

People can make there own choice but noones is ever going to fit a sequential box to a Williams when they can get a newer shape cup car with one for 8k. :wink:

Richardcard1974
23-04-2009, 09:09

LoL - who cares what you think spongebob

Thats Dr Spongebob to you.

Richardcard1974
23-04-2009, 09:13
Fitting a lower final drive is pointless. Its the cheap mans option to get what the rich man buys in a decent box. First will be far too short.

If you did have a sadev box and sold it for 2500 to buy a standard box with lowered final drive for 1500 you are a complete idiot.

However, if you would like to come over and look at my sadev i will let you stand on the pavement outside my drive and i will wheel it out for you to look at. If you beg, i will wheel out my straight cut box and you can look at that too. If you grovel i will demonstrate how interest rates effect inflation and money supply.

stan
23-04-2009, 10:24
Head and brick wall spring to mind............

If your happy with it then thats great, thats all that counts.

As for a sequential box, serious people competing in a mk1 would fit one to a mk1.
Same with a dog box.
You really should have tried your £2500 one before splashing out £1500 on a std gearset. The gain from shift speed alone would have been worth the extra £1000.

Evogone
23-04-2009, 10:43
Fitting a lower final drive is pointless. Its the cheap mans option to get what the rich man buys in a decent box. First will be far too short.

If you did have a sadev box and sold it for 2500 to buy a standard box with lowered final drive for 1500 you are a complete idiot.

However, if you would like to come over and look at my sadev i will let you stand on the pavement outside my drive and i will wheel it out for you to look at. If you beg, i will wheel out my straight cut box and you can look at that too. If you grovel i will demonstrate how interest rates effect inflation and money supply.

Lol at you spongebob :D

J o n
23-04-2009, 10:51

you should sell them to pay your hosting charges ;)

Evogone
23-04-2009, 10:54
Head and brick wall spring to mind............

If your happy with it then thats great, thats all that counts.

As for a sequential box, serious people competing in a mk1 would fit one to a mk1.
Same with a dog box.
You really should have tried your £2500 one before splashing out £1500 on a std gearset. The gain from shift speed alone would have been worth the extra £1000.

To be honest as i have said before i sold it and made some money and didnt intend to fit it. If i want to buy a sequential then i will sell mine and get a MK2 Cup car.

Regards to competitive we have made a big jump with the box and usually in the top 3 fwd cars.

I would get more benifit with fitting some new suspension or something else.

Its too easy to get too serious and loose the enjoyment of competing. Im enjoying competing and useing the car rather than being a dusty ornament.

£ vs performance i have gone for the option.

Evogone
23-04-2009, 10:56

Or squeeze the sponge of his parents...... :oops:

Evogone
23-04-2009, 11:13

Are these the parts that were up for sale via Winston...?

Richardcard1974
23-04-2009, 11:20

Or squeeze the sponge of his parents...... :oops:

Try and stay on topic. This discussion is about your chocolate cogs gearbox.

Richardcard1974
23-04-2009, 11:20

Why would i pay hosting charges on a site that is no longer hosted?

Evogone
23-04-2009, 11:26

Just as reliable as an avanti synco CR box. Never had gearbox problems so not an issue....
:D

Spongebob..... ya ya ya ya ya

Why would i pay hosting charges on a site that is no longer hosted?

schakal
23-04-2009, 11:27
loving this thread :pop:

:D

J o n
23-04-2009, 11:54

Why would i pay hosting charges on a site that no one wants to post on because I'm there?

Good question SpongeRob

Evogone
23-04-2009, 12:03

LOL at SpongeRob....

Why would i pay hosting charges on a site that no one wants to post on because I'm there?

Good question SpongeRob

J o n
23-04-2009, 12:04
I'm loving the naming Evo, I think this name will stick:

SpongeRob Tight Pants :lol:

Are Bobby loves a bit of male camel toe

Richardcard1974
23-04-2009, 12:11

Good question SpongeRob

As admin i would have thought it was a bad idea to bring personal insults into the discussion. Maybe if the admin / moderators were all as fair and objective as Jamie, this site would have few problems and people would get along more.

Are you deliberately trying to downgrade the status of the discussion? Why do you do this in your position of responsibility?

Richardcard1974
23-04-2009, 12:12
I'm loving the naming Evo, I think this name will stick:

SpongeRob Tight Pants :lol:

Are Bobby loves a bit of male camel toe

i think this thread illustrates that my presence on this board is not the sole reason for the problems between certain members, but that others are JUST as responsible for the problem.

Richardcard1974
23-04-2009, 12:14
Have you posted ANYTHING gearbox related on this entire thread Jesus?

J o n
23-04-2009, 12:22

Good question SpongeRob

As admin i would have thought it was a bad idea to bring personal insults into the discussion. Maybe if the admin / moderators were all as fair and objective as Jamie, this site would have few problems and people would get along more.

Are you deliberately trying to downgrade the status of the discussion? Why do you do this in your position of responsibility?

Interesting point SpongeNob, however you get treated like a 2nd class citizen because you are one. Let's not forget you are and should currently be banned. Read the rules, you aren't supposed to be here or creating multiple accounts and certainly not to simply troll, which is the reason you came back on (that and not being able to afford to run your own site). So yeah, this is how admin can and will treat trouble causing idiots with nothing better to do with their time.

In a nutshell you will be abused until the cows come how by anyone who feels you need putting in your place, less we forget how much trouble you have caused and the pathetic little lengths you go to in order to achieve this. You are not supposed to be here, you are not welcome here. CRY ME A RIVER big boy.

stan
23-04-2009, 12:26
Honestly, i've dribbled in my kincikers with laughter at the last few posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol:

J o n
23-04-2009, 12:29
... so, anyway, gearboxes, cool items huh? lol

my car has one too, it's not broken yet, I'm amazed :lol:

schakal
23-04-2009, 12:50
Honestly, i've dribbled in my kincikers with laughter at the last few posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol:

would you sell them knickers ?? if so how much ? :P

Evogone
23-04-2009, 12:54
SpongeRob is filling my pm box now needs to go for a chill and beer in the Crusty Crab..!!

Ya ya ya ya ya ya ya..

Richardcard1974
23-04-2009, 13:49
Hewland box - 15k
Avanti internals - 3k

Do it yourself cheap mans final drive crapolla box - £1500

Just to get back on topic