PDA

View Full Version : 406 calipers on Williams

nonamer
23-02-2009, 16:01
Hi,

Will 406 V6 4 pot calipers fit in original Williams alloys 15"?

Cheers!

MAXIBOY
23-02-2009, 17:48
yes but only with a 15/20mm spacers so fine on a valver might rub on a willy...

nonamer
23-02-2009, 17:53
15-20mm spacers? sh*t... that's not going to fit under the wings because of the widetrack..... no good.

are there any good brake upgrades out there that can fit standard Williams setup? not too expensive. :? :roll:

MAXIBOY
23-02-2009, 17:58
wilwoods are buy far the cheapest or just the k-tec setup which uses renault 21 txi discs and relocates the caliper further out 285mm i think..

number1
23-02-2009, 19:18
The 16v/Williams Brake setup is meant to be pretty good for standard and tuned cars, im just using goodridge lines, Redstuff pads and it stops fairly well, Was thinking about the 406/Fiat Coupe Brakes, but probably a bit overkill tbh!

broken willy
23-02-2009, 20:31
im sourcing some espace calipers (53.9mm pistons as opposed to 48mm on valver and willy) and a megane coupe master cylinder(22.2mm as opposed to 20.6 on the willy). the espace uses the same discs and master cylinder as a willy so hopefully the calipers should fit. the master cylinder from the megane will reduce brake pedal travel and apply more force to the system than the willy item. this is a very cheap set up to do and is prob gonna cost me less than 100quid. onces its fitted i'll let u know how it performs

2 live
23-02-2009, 22:38
never really had cause to complain on the std brakes in either of mine really.......except the last outing at oulton...lol.

std calipers/discs, braided lines, ferrodo ds series pads.

stevie_b
23-02-2009, 23:20
the master cylinder from the megane will reduce brake pedal travel and apply more force to the system than the willy item.

It can't do both I'm afraid. If the megane one is a larger diameter then you are correct that it will reduce the pedal travel but it will reduce the force. You may well be forced down that route though since the larger brake piston diameter means you need the greater volume of fluid.

broken willy
24-02-2009, 00:36
if you use the standard size calipers and a megane master cylinder then you will reduce the braking force due to a smaller difference in piston size. if you use the espace caliper and the williams master cylinder you will have the most braking force but more fluid to displace and more pedal travel. if you use the espace caliper and the megane master cylinder you will have more braking force than the standard williams setup but less brake pedal travel than with a williams master cylinder. you will also have more surface area contact to the disc..

i picked up some espace calipers, yokes and pads tonight for £20. lets hope they fit! :P

stevie_b
24-02-2009, 09:09
if you use the espace caliper and the megane master cylinder you will have more braking force than the standard williams setup but less brake pedal travel than with a williams master cylinder.

Yes, I sort of see what you are trying to say now, I think. It's just that previously you said the megane cylinder was giving less brake travel AND more force. I agree with you that swapping the master cylinder for a megane one makes complete sense if you are fitting those calipers. It's just that if you do the calcs with the setup you are proposing you will have more pedal travel (by around 9%) than the standard Williams setup - I'm not knocking what you are proposing though as it sounds like an upgrade worth trying at a down-to-earth price and I'm sure will work well.

J o n
24-02-2009, 14:46
I'd not bother with willwoods personally... Andy's 182 was using those with some race/track pads and it was doing endo's under heavy braking! Uprate the pads and discs and lines and that should be more than enough for these cars. If your calipers are fooked (which was common on my old 2) then I'd just throw 172 ones on there.

broken willy
24-02-2009, 21:38
if you use the espace caliper and the megane master cylinder you will have more braking force than the standard williams setup but less brake pedal travel than with a williams master cylinder.

Yes, I sort of see what you are trying to say now, I think. It's just that previously you said the megane cylinder was giving less brake travel AND more force. I agree with you that swapping the master cylinder for a megane one makes complete sense if you are fitting those calipers. It's just that if you do the calcs with the setup you are proposing you will have more pedal travel (by around 9%) than the standard Williams setup - I'm not knocking what you are proposing though as it sounds like an upgrade worth trying at a down-to-earth price and I'm sure will work well.

my first post was a little confused :oops:

how i should have explained it was, the megane cylinder with espace calipers will apply more force than the standard williams setup. but the megane cylinder(with espace calipers) will reduce the pedal travel over the williams cylinder(with espace calipers) by around 17%. u are right u will get 9% more travel over a standard setup but then thats 9% more braking force before taking into account pad contact area!

this is all theory i still dont know if they fit yet!

kenny
24-02-2009, 22:12
Blimey, as long as they stop i'm happy :shock:

stevie_b
24-02-2009, 22:15
Yes, I think picking that cylinder for the reasons you have seems a very sound one.

before taking into account pad contact area!

Don't take that into account! It's a separate component of the braking system from the hydraulics. Clamping force will be the same regardless of what pad size you have :lol:

Patrick_g46
25-02-2009, 01:38
I'd not bother with willwoods personally... Andy's 182 was using those with some race/track pads and it was doing endo's under heavy braking! Uprate the pads and discs and lines and that should be more than enough for these cars. If your calipers are fooked (which was common on my old 2) then I'd just throw 172 ones on there.

wouldnt you have to change the hubs or something in order to do this?

white16valver
25-02-2009, 21:19
My head hurts :shock: lol

rob-legend
25-02-2009, 23:52

snap :shock:

i'm fitting v-brakes :wink:

Justin..
26-02-2009, 01:50
Rim brakes F T W :lol:

1995clio16v
01-03-2009, 00:43

snap :shock:

i'm fitting v-brakes :wink:

LMFAO!

Havent stopped laughing for last couple of minutes!

:o