PDA

View Full Version : Practical Performance Car mag: Torsion bar

Wobba
06-02-2009, 23:31
PPC have just done a clio tuning article, and mentioned fine tuning the torsion bar for height adjustment.

It says you don't have to use the normal route of lowering the each part of torsion bar by the same increment, but you can lower the outer bar by one spline first, then raise the inner bar by one spline by one and it allows you to fine tune it in increments of 4mm.

My question is, how do you practically do it? Surely you would either have to adjust the jack after doing the outer bar/spline to manage this? Not sure how you could manage it...

The bar would not be able to go in the outer splines without going into the inner splines at the same point making it impossible to do, surely?

stevie_b
06-02-2009, 23:58
Raising/lowering the other beam that still has the bar in would turn the inner spline w.r.t. the outer spline on the side where you have the bar out, and then you stick the bar back in again?

Wobba
07-02-2009, 00:52
Raising/lowering the other beam that still has the bar in would turn the inner spline w.r.t. the outer spline on the side where you have the bar out, and then you stick the bar back in again?

Hmm, ahh yea possibly. I am going to refer to the Grp N manual as I believe it has torsion bar tuning in it for the Cup Cars or something...

Coops
07-02-2009, 09:35
meh, pointless, just do it normal way, much easier :lol:

richy
07-02-2009, 10:20
meh, pointless, just do it normal way, much easier :lol:

exactly, can be done by 3 or 4 mm anyway, esp no need for this its either 45mm or 80mm shite that some ppl say!

northy
07-02-2009, 11:07
lucky if any undo nowadays lol...damm rust sets most harder than concrete

Wobba
07-02-2009, 11:51
lucky if any undo nowadays lol...damm rust sets most harder than concrete

I've been lucky then, both my cars torsion bars came out easily!

stevie_b
07-02-2009, 12:01
Mine too. Have greased them up good and proper when refitted though to make sure they stay unstuck for another 10 years!

Wobba
07-02-2009, 14:05
Mine too. Have greased them up good and proper when refitted though to make sure they stay unstuck for another 10 years!

The amount of times we take ours apart I think we have too!

LEIGH-ANNE
07-02-2009, 17:22
LOL Who wants a car that dont brake all the time and have problems here and there....wheres the fun it that :wink: