PDA

View Full Version : career change. . . .

Danno
09-01-2009, 00:04
i've bin thinkin bout a change of job for a while now, but can't decide what to do for the best, i'm 28 now and work as a sparks mate for an electrical firm, i'm looking for summat that is more 9-5 than my job, somthin that'll keep me local as my job can take me anywer in the country, i'm not after a flash salary, i just wanna find summat that i will be happy with, well as happy as you can be at work :P . just after some input of you guys (& girls :D )

thanks

16v_paddy
09-01-2009, 00:27
I'm the opposite mate :roll: I'd quite like a job that takes me round the country, but I don't know if I would cope leaving the cushiness of my current job :lol:

Good luck with it though mate :wink:

MAXIBOY
09-01-2009, 00:34
are you training as a sparks..

Danno
09-01-2009, 01:03

well i can do 1 course at college, then I'm qualified as an electrician, but its not wat i wanna do tbh

2 live
09-01-2009, 01:08
maccy dees is callin ;)

pays a mint apparently......if u believe the cs salaries ;)

MAXIBOY
09-01-2009, 01:11

well i can do 1 course at college, then I'm qualified as an electrician, but its not wat i wanna do tbh

why not pays well could get work local i'm sure mate..

i like the electrics part myself..plus useful to get a trade behind you to fall back on even if you do something else after you qualify..

Daz.
09-01-2009, 07:51
i've bin thinkin bout a change of job for a while now, but can't decide what to do for the best, i'm 28 now and work as a sparks mate for an electrical firm, i'm looking for summat that is more 9-5 than my job, somthin that'll keep me local as my job can take me anywer in the country, i'm not after a flash salary, i just wanna find summat that i will be happy with, well as happy as you can be at work :P . just after some input of you guys (& girls :D )

thanks

Fella I'm EXACTLY the same, up until last year I was all over the country and hated it. was never at home, thing were stressed with my missus it was all rubbish, have got a dead end job now just to get out of there, I'm 27 myself and I now feel i'm too old to do anything genuinely good with my life career wise but I work nights and I simply need to get back on days whatever the cost... industry is shit I think in Blackburn unless you like working in boots or packing boxes your fudged :cry:

Which company do you work for at the moment out of curiosity?

busterhymes
09-01-2009, 07:59
daz m8 27 aint to old if you want to retrain or goto college you could easily do that loads of stuff in adult education just really gotta look into the costs and options and get your finger out and if i can retrain at 49 then what the **** dont dump yourself on the scrapheap just yet :wink: :wink:

Daz.
09-01-2009, 08:48
Its more to do with the fact I simply don't know what to do with myself...

I remember vividly the day I was asked what I wanted to be when I grow up, I was 14 and talking to the school careers advisor. 13 years on and I still have no calling - I can't find anything that appeals to me and the way I work I have to want to commit to something to actually do it, I can't do something half arsed as I'll never see it through

Danno
09-01-2009, 11:58
[quote="Daz."]Its more to do with the fact I simply don't know what to do with myself...

SNAP !!!! :P

Daz mate, i work for walsh ibs in nelson.....

busterhymes
09-01-2009, 14:09

I remember vividly the day I was asked what I wanted to be when I grow up, I was 14 and talking to the school careers advisor. 13 years on and I still have no calling - I can't find anything that appeals to me and the way I work I have to want to commit to something to actually do it, I can't do something half arsed as I'll never see it through

totally understand same prob that i had and spent over 20yrs in electronics industry and until a recent decision to change and take a drivin instructors course which now allows me to work when i want so hoping no more shifts for me :)

Jamie.
09-01-2009, 14:37
I would finish off your current training before moving elsewhere as you may regret it and its always a good way to secure a salary level as an electrician.

There are many areas you can go into which have prof qual's and 9-5 job's but being behind a desk after all this time may not be what you want. You also have to accept your salary will deminish if you start retraining as well.

If you could get into it a great line of work is Chartered Surveyinig. You have to do your RICs first which will take a few years to train and be looking at 35k min salary. Be on a poor salary to being with as training fee's are expensive.

Obv you could always do accountancy. You would do AAT then move onto ACCA of which you could expect to earn 13k as AAT starting then up to 28k starting salary as a ACCA accountant or if you work big four 35k starting salary as a chartered accountant.

Smudger
09-01-2009, 16:16
Obv you could always do accountancy. You would do AAT then move onto ACCA of which you could expect to earn 13k as AAT starting then up to 28k starting salary as a ACCA accountant or if you work big four 35k starting salary as a chartered accountant.

what are the costs and time needed to become fully ACCA certified??

richy
09-01-2009, 18:25
i spent the last 10 year doing a 9-5 job working for renault and other companys as a mechanic, im now a engineer and work pretty much all the time it seems, was good to start with but being all over the place and on call alot is gettin on my nerves, the money is great compared to the motor trade but im starting to miss just being able to leave at 5 etc and go home!

FATBOY
09-01-2009, 18:48
be careful though! i know your in the building trade at the moment, but it may be the right time to get out????? the current climate is looking really bleak so it may be time for a change away from the building trade! luckily as a plumber we are really busy at the moment.

bendee
09-01-2009, 18:59
im 23 a part time postman and i aint got a clue what to do love cars and playing with them but im no master mechanic so cant really get into that, its a bitch i know people who earn loads of money doing what they love why cant i lol

col
09-01-2009, 19:46
What can i say guys, im 60 in february when i was a kid i wanted to join the Army so i did at 15 loved it ,but apart from that i didnt know what to do with my life.......and here i am.

Dont dispare try an stay focused an go with your gut feelin. Trust me lifes to short to worry :)

MAXIBOY
09-01-2009, 20:00
^^^^^^^^^^^

100% agree 8)

Jamie.
09-01-2009, 21:29

what are the costs and time needed to become fully ACCA certified??

Hi mate sorry only just read this.

If you want I have time to speak to you on msn/email as I am on the back end of my ACCA - only have 3 exams and 1 year training to complete.

To get to ACCA level you would have to do your AAT first really but if you were really quick you could get stuck into ACCA but it would be tough most go from Uni straight into it.

Either way its 3 yr degree or 3 yrs in AAT then a further 3 years in ACCA so in total its going to be 6 yrs. Pretty long time but its worth it in the end.

But I have time to chat about it if you want.

richy
09-01-2009, 21:33
agree, (for the short time ive been working lol) i enjoyed working on cars but i think the situation i was in was just getting me down, i had been looking to get out for a good while but had no idea what else to do, even considered ASDA/morrisons etc and tbh i can easy go back in in the future(was a RTE/master tech)

got made redundant early last year and that was the push i needed, spent the last 8month as a engineer and work on generators now, the job in general is great, loads more money wage wise, free van and fuel, and tbh quite a easy job compared to being a mechanic(so much easier to fix diesel engines in big boxs lol) no moaning renault owners to lol

1 big thing i dont like about my current job is doing on call, as u end up working at silly hours on your own in the middle of nowhere! sucks big time, right now im on call(finish 8am tomorro, then start sunday 8am), just got back from a breakdown in brighouse after spending all day(6am on~) in manchester!! grrr lol

Jamie.
09-01-2009, 21:59
Sorry I forgot to add there are generally no fee's or costs associated with training as most accountancy companies will form a training contract and hence the shit starting salary. But you end up going to college on day realease or block release which is about 6 weeks of a year and costs a couple of k so it is understandable they pay less unless you get into big 4 which pay 20k starting salary.

Andyvalver
10-01-2009, 14:41

Your kinda like me. I dunno what i want to do anymore. Ive done 2 years electrical at college but dont think its what i want to do. Thinking about a networking course now lol