PDA

View Full Version : my turbo option

lewis_willy2
24-10-2008, 18:42
i have had enough of this whole turbo business, my turbo has been on and off over ten times due to re-routing pipes, oil feed and return issues and the main one thats nearly got me selling the whole thing off is SMOKE!!

its smoking pretty bad on idle and when being revved, its not dark blue like before but a light blue/white.

last time i checked i had 150psi across all cylinders so im pretty sure engine is good.

the only thing left is my turbo, i rebuilt it and its solid as a rock but i think i damaged the seal by running to thin an oil return, which caused heavy dark smoke!!

anyway im sending my turbo to turbo centre uk for them to have a look at it as i cant be bothered with another strip down.

im gonna go with a stagercap oil seal but i have a very good pretty much brand new t25 exhaust housing. shall i have that fitted instead of the t28 its got on it??? im def going for between 250-300 power wise in the future if all goes to plan.

if doesnt go to plan and its not the turbo then the cars going for paint and probably up for sale.

lewis

Allan
29-10-2008, 00:07
whats the problem with it ?

Coops
29-10-2008, 10:09
whats the problem with it ?

its smoking pretty bad on idle and when being revved, its not dark blue like before but a light blue/white.

read the post young allan :wink:

kj16v
01-11-2008, 22:20
You tried driving the car with the turbo removed (if it will drive)? It'll sound 'orrible but will rule out the turbo.

Also, does your oil return go smoothly down to the engine block? How wide is the hose?

lewis_willy2
02-11-2008, 00:54
well ive got the turbo off. my return is about 9mm id into the block, with a 14mm id hose

i started the engine up the other day but was real loud and turned it straight off due to neighbours.

if it smokes then it will indicate the engine may have an oil burning issue, but is this a good diagnosis without having any back pressure from an exhaust. im pretty certain its the turbo as my compression is all ok.

it doesnt smoke too bad when you first start it up but when the oils warmer it smokes on idle and when revving. its been suggested by turbo centre that there maybe oily deposits in the exhaust from when i was forcing oil past the seal before and when the exhaust heats up its re-burning and causing smoke.

turbos going next week to be looked at. just unsure whether to fit a t25 exhaust housing?

kj16v
03-11-2008, 22:32
That's right, it could be oil residue.

Or it could be worn valves, which won't show up with a compression test.

Sod ya neighbours! This is a Clio Turbo we're talking about, far more important than their peace and quiet!

lewis_willy2
03-11-2008, 22:43
the valves where all re-seated with new stem seals.

the turbo is getting picked up 2mro. having a full check over and hopefully only a seal and re-balance. the shaft is solid. we will know by next week. in the mean time 2mro im gonna run the car up without the exhaust to see if it smokes.

MAXIBOY
04-11-2008, 00:42
ran mine without a few times been fine..and more back pressure is created by the turbo itself than tthe exhaust system..