PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to know when purchasing a Japanese imoprt?

jamie
19-10-2008, 12:50
Right then, my money is in place and I have ten grand to at last get my Nissan Skyline R33 2.6ltr twin turbo :-) The insurane is all sorted so im just about ready to go!!!

I have found the one im interested in and im off next saturday to view the car.

Its located in a dealership, from the pics looks in A1 mint condition with loads of good extras, she has low millage and is up for just over the ten grand that I have, which of course im hoping if all goes well to get the money down to my level he he

Anyway What I need from you guys please is what do I need to know when it comes to buying a Japanese import?

- V5C document
- MOT certificate
- Service history record are up-to-date and correct
- Auction Grade sheet if present
- Hpi Clear

Anything else?

The car according to the dealer runs perfect etc and will have a full service, full valet and a years MOT which is good.

Any more help and info to prepare me would be great thanks......ah btw this is my dream ca from as long as I can remember and I have never driven one before, she is running at about 400BHP so im completely excited!!!!

Also im not getting rid of my Williams I love that car way too much, she will be garaged and money will be spent on her as and when to make her showroom new condition including a full shell overhall, re-ferbed wheels and a complete new interior.

Cheers in advance for all your help and info guys :-)

Jamie

The car

dan-hipgrave
19-10-2008, 14:01
I think you've got it all pretty much covered. Japanese auction grade sheet is very important on a fresh import.

AUCTION GRADE (Exterior )
S - As new condition, under 5,000km

5 - Vehicle is like new. All original body parts. No repair needed on vehicle. Usually only given to vehicles less than 3 years old.

4.5 - Vehicle is in excellent condition. No slight scratches or dents.

4 - Vehicle in good condition, few scratches/dents due to normal wear as you would get with any normal vehicle.

3.5 - Vehicle has a few scratches or dents visibly. The grade is usually given to a vehicle in average condition.

3 - Various scratches or dents, some paint blemishes.

2 - wholly badly corroded, non standard car, or modified car

1 - inferior car, basically a pile of you know what. OR ... very heavily modified car.

RA or A1 - Vehicle has been in a minor accident. It has been repaired to an acceptable standard.

R or A - A vehicle which has been in an accident where some parts have been repaired or replaced.

AUCTION GRADE (Interior )

A - As new condition. No faults.

B - Very clean condition poss. very slightly dirty.

C - Clean but with cigarette burn.

D - Dirty or stinky or big wear/rip on seats

Hope that helps.

jamie
19-10-2008, 14:23
Thats great thanks very much for the info, from what I know the car is a grade 4 import so thats all good thanks :-)

Think ill also be getting the AA/RAC out or whatever to go over the complete car to give me the thumbs up before I hand over the cash. Is this worth it? I think it will cost about £300 for a full inspection of the GTR.

dan-hipgrave
19-10-2008, 15:00
Oh one other thing - I would try and get the dealer to include a MPH and delimiter conversion in the sale price. All Jap imports are in KPH and restricted to 112mph. If he cant delimit and convert the speedo for you then its a good bargaining tool to knock a couple of quid off :D

Wobba
20-10-2008, 11:42
Other things to consider are things like the stereo. The radio bands on jap stereo's are different.

Also, japanese cars use a higher RON fuel as standard.

The KPH can be converted to a UK spec dial, but remember to keep the old one as proof of mileage.

Check the tyres. Some strange makes over there. What do they claim the mileage is?

Head over to http://www.gtr.co.uk/index.html as they have plenty of buying advice there.

Is it a V-Spec version or standard GTR? I imported an R33 GTR Skyline many years ago, and also used one briefly from the UK, a 440 bhp R32. Watch the back end! they can pop out quite easily ;)

The report they do in japan is called a 'Shaiken' and is like a hardcore MOT pre-export. make sure you have proof of duty being paid from the freight forwarder or whoever did it, the de-registration documents from japan,and thorougly check the bodywork.

Japanese performance cars always came over with something called a turbo timer. This allows the engine to run for about a minute after the engine is switched off to rid hot oil from he turbo's area to improve lifespan, you may find other odd goodies too!

AA/RAC car checks are fairly pointless on a fresh import as there is no UK history, however, there is a way to track history of the car through the Japanese system.

jamie
20-10-2008, 16:08
Thank you for all the help and Info guys, ill be taking all that down when going to view the car so Ill have lots of questions for the garage. But im still unsure if I sould pay the Rac/AA to look over the car as its gonna cost over £300 for a full inspection.

I also asked the garage and they said to me they welcome any inspection but the car is in complete perfect working order so im not sure if I should go on gut instinct or pay the cash out?!?!?

The car will have a full service and a years mot and yeah think it does have a turbo timer.

Coops
20-10-2008, 16:17
Japanese performance cars always came over with something called a turbo timer.

no they dont :wink:

dan-hipgrave
20-10-2008, 19:23
Japanese performance cars always came over with something called a turbo timer. This allows the engine to run for about a minute after the engine is switched off to rid hot oil from he turbo's area to improve lifespan, you may find other odd goodies too!

Yeh they often have a few hidden goodies - my Pulsar GTiR has been in the UK since 2001 and had 3 owners and it was only earlier on this year when I took out the ECU I discovered it was an aftermarket one!! For some reason the japs always hide the extras they put on the car and dont bother to remove them when they sell - so many people on the pulsar forums find turbo timers and boost controllers tucked up under the dash :lol:

Wobba
20-10-2008, 21:07

Yeh they often have a few hidden goodies - my Pulsar GTiR has been in the UK since 2001 and had 3 owners and it was only earlier on this year when I took out the ECU I discovered it was an aftermarket one!! For some reason the japs always hide the extras they put on the car and dont bother to remove them when they sell - so many people on the pulsar forums find turbo timers and boost controllers tucked up under the dash :lol:

Yea, a pulsar I imprted (was a bit of a dog though) had loads of high performance gubbins on.

Wobba
20-10-2008, 21:08
Japanese performance cars always came over with something called a turbo timer.

no they dont :wink:

Mine did, all of them.

jamie
26-10-2008, 13:51
Hey guys, 1st off thanks very much for all of your imput and advice.

I went yesterdy to look at the car and after being there for about 4 hours looking at the cars and chatting to the guys I am now the very happy owner of a Nissan Skyline R33 Twin Turbo 400BHP GTR :-) I pick her up next saturday.

She comes with a new service, cam belt change, 50,000 miles, 3 month warrenty, grade 4.5 import, A1 condition inside and out, as well as a full valet so im very pleased, also magaged to get a little bit of money off as well :-)

I took her out and OMG I have not driven that many cars and to be honest a 300zx is the fastest thing iv ever driven but this machine is a complete monster im totally in love and cant wait to get my hands on her again!!!

dan-hipgrave
26-10-2008, 15:17
Sounds awesome mate. Im selling my Pulsar GTiR and would love an R33 GTR but it wouldnt fit in my garage!

Grade 4.5 - it must be a minter 8)

Wobba
10-11-2008, 19:18
Hey guys, 1st off thanks very much for all of your imput and advice.

I went yesterdy to look at the car and after being there for about 4 hours looking at the cars and chatting to the guys I am now the very happy owner of a Nissan Skyline R33 Twin Turbo 400BHP GTR :-) I pick her up next saturday.

She comes with a new service, cam belt change, 50,000 miles, 3 month warrenty, grade 4.5 import, A1 condition inside and out, as well as a full valet so im very pleased, also magaged to get a little bit of money off as well :-)

I took her out and OMG I have not driven that many cars and to be honest a 300zx is the fastest thing iv ever driven but this machine is a complete monster im totally in love and cant wait to get my hands on her again!!!

Ahhh haha nice one! They are indeed in a different league ;) Dont go gettin into any trouble now...

dan-hipgrave
11-11-2008, 14:07
This thread tempted me waay too much - I was selling my Pulsar for either an RX7 or Supra, but ive now gone and looked at an R33 GTR and got a loan out for it :twisted: Bloody thing probably wont fit in the garage and i'll have to use it everyday day, oh well :roll: :lol:

gixxer_g
11-11-2008, 22:59
just to add converting a r33 gtr speedon to run in mph aint a cheap job, i had one a while ago, just ran it limited and with a road angel for mph
also heard that converting them to mph, if not done proper screws up the atezza or hicas system, cause the car isnt doing the speed the ecu thinks it is, or something like that