PDA

View Full Version : Coilover spring poundage...

Wobba
16-10-2008, 16:40
Is there an easy was to tell what lbs the springs on coilies are? I know you can mess about and fit different ones, and I may take this option if my coilovers that I am fitting this weekend are too stiff/soft.

lewis_willy2
16-10-2008, 16:58
what coilovers have you gone for?

lewis_willy2
16-10-2008, 16:59
what coilovers have you gone for?

J o n
16-10-2008, 17:17
not sure how you'd tell unless there are some markings that the manufacturer use to identify them? Kits can be bought with different rates as well, I had loads of spring choices for mine, went for 450lb front and 750lb rears in the end.

Daz.
16-10-2008, 17:27
ring the manufacturer?

Wobba
16-10-2008, 20:38
These are JR coilovers which I am going to fit as a test. If I decide they are a bit much then I will get new OE setup, but I just want to satisfy my curiosity for now.

lewis_willy2
16-10-2008, 20:51
ive got fk's in my parts room which im hoping arent too hard. to be fitted as soon as mot is done

but after a quick blat in the turbo the other day it seemed my shocks have gona rock solid. its been stood for 10 months!

Lunner
18-10-2008, 08:27
not sure how you'd tell unless there are some markings that the manufacturer use to identify them? Kits can be bought with different rates as well, I had loads of spring choices for mine, went for 450lb front and 750lb rears in the end.

They are VERY stiff springs!!

Is there and suspension travel with them?

Evogone
18-10-2008, 10:16

They are VERY stiff springs!!

Is there and suspension travel with them?

Cup racers are 350lbs so think thats OTT...My leda will have 350lbs spring after i get back from tweeks this morning.!!!

Wobba
18-10-2008, 23:50
450 lb's is a LOT aye!

eternalife
19-10-2008, 01:02
Jesus's setup is very different from the traditional MacPherson Strut.
I am sure he will be here soon to explain it some more...

When I first heard of the 750lb rear springs I nearly fell of my chair :lol:

richy
19-10-2008, 10:03
he runs a AST coilover kit, main difference being the rears are also a coilover set up instead of seperate shocker/spring that the 1 7 2/1 8 2 normally have.

eternalife
25-10-2008, 00:22
I thought there was more to his suspension than just the above...

richy
25-10-2008, 14:00
he might have the solid top mounts but i dont know for sure on that, but the ast kits are around the 1k mark anyway so fair bit of kit either way

J o n
27-10-2008, 13:46
he might have the solid top mounts but i dont know for sure on that, but the ast kits are around the 1k mark anyway so fair bit of kit either way

Mine are fully front and rear independent coilovers. Dampers are all twin tube remote reservoir with high speed internal blow off valves, so even though the lbs rate seems mental it's amazingly compliant (somehow lol). They were specially built on the car and the chap actually wanted to run stiffer springs than I have on it, 100lbs more front and rear to be exact! I can set it to be softer than standard, but with zero body roll as the dampers are that good... it's something to do with the valving but I switched off at that point as it just went above my head lol.

Oh, there not AST's either, AST's are £1000... these were more than twice that.

white16valver
27-10-2008, 14:04
:shock:

Evogone
27-10-2008, 14:11

Mine are fully front and rear independent coilovers. Dampers are all twin tube remote reservoir with high speed internal blow off valves, so even though the lbs rate seems mental it's amazingly compliant (somehow lol). They were specially built on the car and the chap actually wanted to run stiffer springs than I have on it, 100lbs more front and rear to be exact! I can set it to be softer than standard, but with zero body roll as the dampers are that good... it's something to do with the valving but I switched off at that point as it just went above my head lol.

What make are they then ???

Pics.....please :D

eternalife
27-10-2008, 22:10

Sure did wonder when you were going to post :D
I remember you telling me about them at FCS RE: twin tube's / remote reservoirs...wasn't 100% thus awaited...and yes as per evogone's post - more info needed :twisted:

Still need a passenger ride in the motor at some point :wink:

J o n
28-10-2008, 14:00
Prolly not worth the money as they are outragously priced, but my car lapped Snetterton faster than a guy there in a full Mk2 Cup race car with sequential and full slicks... anyone that's been on track knows I'm not the quickest or most confident driver too, I just go out to have fun but it was surprising to say the least (had full interior and day to day crap in the car too lol)

Can't remember who built them now, names on the tip of my tongue too!!! GDI took the car to have them built on it for me though, I'm not remotely technical, so I let other people do the thinking for me when it comes to suspension hehe

I'll get the details off GDI. The guys not cheap or particularly quick, the main reason he doesn't do kits for them, but he builds the suspension specific to your car from his recommendation of settings. I've driven Leda'd, AST'd, KW'd, FK'd, Avo'd and Gaz'd cars and these are simply better. On track the AST's were the closest to them, but I thought they were shit on the road no matter how much you change the damping.

Obviously I'm a little biased towards my kit, but I've driven cars with other kits on plenty of times and just loved these. 2 live's driven it too, hopefully he can ignore his Mk2 hate and give an objective review ;) lol

Evogone
28-10-2008, 14:31
Prolly not worth the money as they are outragously priced, but my car lapped Snetterton faster than a guy there in a full Mk2 Cup race car with sequential and full slicks... anyone that's been on track knows I'm not the quickest or most confident driver too, I just go out to have fun but it was surprising to say the least (had full interior and day to day crap in the car too lol)

Can't remember who built them now, names on the tip of my tongue too!!! GDI took the car to have them built on it for me though, I'm not remotely technical, so I let other people do the thinking for me when it comes to suspension hehe

I'll get the details off GDI. The guys not cheap or particularly quick, the main reason he doesn't do kits for them, but he builds the suspension specific to your car from his recommendation of settings. I've driven Leda'd, AST'd, KW'd, FK'd, Avo'd and Gaz'd cars and these are simply better. On track the AST's were the closest to them, but I thought they were s**t on the road no matter how much you change the damping.

Obviously I'm a little biased towards my kit, but I've driven cars with other kits on plenty of times and just loved these. 2 live's driven it too, hopefully he can ignore his Mk2 hate and give an objective review ;) lol

Interested in the details, im suprised that they are twin tube as all expensive competition shocks are Mono tube (upside down like Bilsteins).

J o n
28-10-2008, 17:55
I'll get the chaps contact info when I next speak to Andy or pop over (I'm probably due a service soon anyway).

As for mono or twin again I've no idea to be honest... The GDI staff including Andy, Bex (his missus), Richard and Dan all drove it and rated them over the AST's they sell and have on the demo car. Handling wise mine was more planted and less nervous near the limit, plus when it does go it's like a Williams in that you can just steer out to correct the back end... something you have to do at Snetterton in the wet lol

Was it you that said they worked near Didsbury or somewhere near the A34 near Cheshire/South Manchester too? Might just be easier to let you have a go and see what you think? I have an engine mount issue currently, so it's making a few unpleasant noises, but should be getting that fixed shortly :)

Evogone
28-10-2008, 18:21
I'll get the chaps contact info when I next speak to Andy or pop over (I'm probably due a service soon anyway).

As for mono or twin again I've no idea to be honest... The GDI staff including Andy, Bex (his missus), Richard and Dan all drove it and rated them over the AST's they sell and have on the demo car. Handling wise mine was more planted and less nervous near the limit, plus when it does go it's like a Williams in that you can just steer out to correct the back end... something you have to do at Snetterton in the wet lol

Was it you that said they worked near Didsbury or somewhere near the A34 near Cheshire/South Manchester too? Might just be easier to let you have a go and see what you think? I have an engine mount issue currently, so it's making a few unpleasant noises, but should be getting that fixed shortly :)

Yup have an office in Didsbury. Let me know when it ready i may come and have a nosey and a chin wag...

richy
01-11-2008, 19:51

ah i was mis-informed about the make then but i was right in saying the main difference is there also coilover at the rear instead of normal spring/shocker set up.