PDA

View Full Version : Next phase of tuning

Wobba
14-10-2008, 14:06
My Williams currently has a magnex exhaust, a decat, a quickshift, an ITG filter, a Gunnerchip, powerflex bushes and mostly new consumables.

I am looking at getting more power from the engine now.

I know there is the inlet valves conversion, porting/polishing, cams and remap etc, but am wondering at the best option and typical costs involved, and the time it takes to get these things done.

What have others of you done and what is the general consensus on the way to go.

I'd love to try throttle bodies but it is a tad expensive for me right now.

summeh
14-10-2008, 14:25
You could go cams and remap for another 1bhp perhaps? Would cost about 300quid for remap and what 300quid for cams? 0.0016bh/£ sounds like a good deal to me.

Or I've got a book here with some tuning methods, yours for 300quid. :wink:

geesus
14-10-2008, 14:31
i agree with summeh, got to chuck lots of pennies at it for minimal gains

have you upgraded suspension/brakes/tyres etc already? i would spend money on those before trying to squeeze a few ponies out of it (thats if you havent already?)

Allan
14-10-2008, 14:47
hes got coil overs but standard brakes iirc.

Your already running that gunner chip, you could do it on the cheap and buy a cutter and cut the weight down :D

Strip it more etc, would all be a free speed increase

LEIGH-ANNE
14-10-2008, 14:53
Go on a diet :wink:

LEIGH-ANNE
14-10-2008, 14:58
Sorry that may have cum out a bit harsh....

But only yesterday wobba went to the shops to get junk food for hes dinner...

He quotes to me ''single british men have the poorest diets in europe''

So if u ate healthy.....ur bound to loose weight!

:D :wink:

Wobba
14-10-2008, 15:27
1 bhp Summeh? Just sell me your engine then mate and give it a good going over before we fit it :)

As for this book...well I' think I will wait to see what happens to other engines after these mods :D

I've sorted everyhing now except for brakes, which is easy.

Wobba
14-10-2008, 15:31
Sorry that may have cum out a bit harsh....

But only yesterday wobba went to the shops to get junk food for hes dinner...

He quotes to me ''single british men have the poorest diets in europe''

So if u ate healthy.....ur bound to loose weight!

:D :wink:

I am married to a car Called Mrs Williams, though her cooking sucks!

So 225 catcams and pulleys not worth it?

Wobba
14-10-2008, 16:00
you could do it on the cheap and buy a cutter and cut the weight down :D

Haha, I COULD strip it more but its bloody noisey already without the seats and rear carpet etc not that I care :D

You know I am thinking how to beat you for next years Pod events Allan :D

NEEEED MROE POEWR!!!!

Allan
14-10-2008, 18:25
hehe it was close, i know how toget me some more power, but will require using the exhaust off the dimma :D

summeh
14-10-2008, 18:38
I would say there are far easier ways to gain power than putting cams and pulleys in.

I will sell u my engine for £5,995.

MAXIBOY
14-10-2008, 18:41
i think cams and pulleys are a worthy upgrade.. :)

Allan
14-10-2008, 18:45
for that price might aswell slap a turbo on it and have it forged.

richy
14-10-2008, 18:59
theres no cheap way of tuning a N/A car no matter anyone says, your talking 1k+ for cams/remap etc then 3k+ for t/b's and same again for a turbo conversion.

the only 'cheap' sensible option is to buy a faster car outright!

but.........wheres the fun in that!!

Wobba
15-10-2008, 00:16
Yea, I guess. I will have to think long and hard about this I guess.

I spotted a 520 BHP R32 Skyline that I could import from Japan for about £8k landed in good nic, and another for just about £4800 in standard spec.

I think I will badger you guys and go on and on about it to Summeh until he gives in and gives me his engine just to shut me up :)

LEIGH-ANNE
15-10-2008, 09:39
I think I will badger you guys and go on and on about it to Summeh until he gives in and gives me his engine just to shut me up :)

**** then ill buy it for then...... :wink:

Wobba
15-10-2008, 11:03

f**k then ill buy it for then...... :wink:

Noes! :(

I can come over and strip your car down for you leighanne, but I wanr you, I'll need to get under the inner arch skirting to get to the big lump there.

Wobba
15-10-2008, 11:04
Free power :D

LEIGH-ANNE
15-10-2008, 13:25

I can come over and strip your car down for you leighanne, but I wanr you, I'll need to get under the inner arch skirting to get to the big lump there.

This aint inuendoclio.co.uk :wink: :wink:

You did mean warn didnt u!?

Wobba
16-10-2008, 16:49

I can come over and strip your car down for you leighanne, but I warn you, I'll need to get under the inner arch skirting to get to the big lump there.

This aint inuendoclio.co.uk :wink: :wink:

You did mean warn didnt u!?

I have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA what you are referring to Leighanne!

Everyone who has met me knows I am a well spoken, well brought up young gent, with the manners of a saint. I'd NEVER make crass inuendo's!

:roll:

Allan
16-10-2008, 18:32
i would ;)

kneesparks
05-11-2008, 22:49
Yea, I guess. I will have to think long and hard about this I guess.

I spotted a 520 BHP R32 Skyline that I could import from Japan for about £8k landed in good nic, and another for just about £4800 in standard spec.

I have a 400BHP Skyline R33 Spec 2 with full nismo body kit/ diff/ roll bars, lots of bits on it. I love the car but if i get offered good money for it i would let it go! :wink:

Justin..
05-11-2008, 23:04
LOL

simonr85
06-11-2008, 10:14
wobba have you had it RR'd?? if so what power are you running???

2 live
06-11-2008, 19:22
i agree with summeh, got to chuck lots of pennies at it for minimal gains

have you upgraded suspension/brakes/tyres etc already? i would spend money on those before trying to squeeze a few ponies out of it (thats if you havent already?)

i disagree.

a few things could make your car a lot faster.

no offence, but have you tried tuition?

2 live
06-11-2008, 19:26
theres no cheap way of tuning a N/A car no matter anyone says, your talking 1k+ for cams/remap etc then 3k+ for t/b's and same again for a turbo conversion.

lol....you should know better than that mate. iv had £600 s worth of mods, in an £800 car passing scoobs, porkas, caterfields, vx's, elises, teggy type r's etc.

hell. most ppl that mod their cars on here have spent more on headwork than my car stands me at inc all mods, doesnt mean they quicker or more fun tho lol.

richy
06-11-2008, 20:08

lol....you should know better than that mate. iv had £600 s worth of mods, in an £800 car passing scoobs, porkas, caterfields, vx's, elises, teggy type r's etc.

hell. most ppl that mod their cars on here have spent more on headwork than my car stands me at inc all mods, doesnt mean they quicker or more fun tho lol.

yeah i just mean in the scheme or things from std to std cars you can easy buy a car which is faster outright, and pound for pound on tuning its generally easyier to just buy a evo and tune that for example, but as said wheres the fun in that!

when someone pays say 2k for a clio then 3-4k on bodies you could of bought a evo/scooby or whatever for less and mildly tuned it!

2 live
06-11-2008, 20:32
yeah see what your saying. but you also have to take into account the bargains that can be had

eg. i have less than a grand in my track car, and that includes the bodies that arent fitted. and all the mods on it.

0159 i have had 7 years nearly now, paid £4500 for it, spent next to fuk all on it as it is now, in std trim. s/s exhaust, consumables etc.

show me a scoob/mitsi that u can have for that long and still cost that little.

then theres the running costs etc. u cud run ur clio on nos constantly probably and still have a cheaper fuel bill than a tuned scoob/mitsi and still be quicker lol

swings n roundabouts really.

if u know wot ur doing with a spanner, obviously it makes it a hell of a lot cheaper too.

richy
06-11-2008, 21:08
yeah bargins can be had, and for the likes of us we can work on our cars no problems so dont end up spending silly amounts with 'tuners' lol

sideways danny
07-11-2008, 02:02
yeah see what your saying. but you also have to take into account the bargains that can be had

eg. i have less than a grand in my track car, and that includes the bodies that arent fitted. and all the mods on it.

if u know wot ur doing with a spanner, obviously it makes it a hell of a lot cheaper too.

That's been my outlook on tuning for many years when building my own cars. When you're working on customers cars you HAVE TO go at it from a bit of a different angle. A mechanics car is very often just about holding together lol, you learn when to take chances and just fix bits when they fall off. On a customers car you have to do it "properly"

What bodies you got for your Williams?

J o n
07-11-2008, 13:09
dont mean to swear here Dan... but he's got Webbers :lol:

really need to put those on or sell em 9 lives... and buy mine ;) lol

sideways danny
08-11-2008, 02:47
he'd have to buy management if he fitted those ;) dont worry we wont tell ;)