PDA

View Full Version : Im putting ITB's on my 172 cup. Anyone done it on here?

Riley
06-10-2008, 13:03
Im looking into putting throttle bodies on my 172 in the next few months. I've seen that jenvey seem to be the main suppliers at a fair price. But then im going to need ecu,loom but that field i have no idea in. Anyone any advice, or even better done this and can tell me what ecu and set up they have used. Where did you get the mapping done? and did your car run with them on standard ecu to get you to place for mapping as i plan on fitting them myself.

MAXIBOY
06-10-2008, 13:32
pm stan on here and ask him...

J o n
06-10-2008, 13:36
I have a Ph1 172 and have had ITB's for over 2 years as my daily runner... so know a shit load about them from an owners perspective and a decent amount as regards the technical side.

There's a few places that do them, but beware of where you take it.

I had mine done at GDI both times (went back to standard for a bit) and the car drives and idles faultlessly. My old setup included cams, bigger injectors etc, but my current setup was put back on with stock cams, stock injectors, head and bottom end on a high mile engine (over 90k).

Spec is Jenvey 45mm parallel ITB's (your better off with 48/42 taper though)
Jenvey manifold (non matched for development and testing)
Omex 600 ECU, loom and sensors

And that's pretty much it... the cars done almost 60k with throttle bodies now and has always had a totally standard engine, no internal work at all.

Andy @ GDI/OMEX fitted and mapped it all and I cant recommend him enough. There's other people that do ITB's, but these guys do them day in and day out. IMO they have MUCH more experience than anyone else and dont skimp on cheap parts, the kit is top quality.

As for fitting on a stock ECU yes it's possible to get it to idle etc after a remap, but dont expect and power or decent fuel economy, the stock ECU cant cope. There's a technical explaination that Andy or Richard could give you, I never remember or pay too much attention though! lol

give them a call on 01480 860001

Even 2 live will attest to how well my Mk2 went and he ****ing hates 172's and will normally never give them credit! GDI are partnered with Omex, the people that make the ECU's, their support, backup, warrenty and technical knowledge blizt the competition imo.

www.greydevilindustries.com

Riley
06-10-2008, 15:34
yer i spoke to the guys at omex earlier to price up a kit. planning on fitting it myself. Dont fancy paying someone £300+ for something i can do with the help of a mate. Thanks for the info. Is the power gain worth the money? have you had yours on the rollers, if so whats it kicking? Its nice to know there reliable to. Ill be on fairly standard set up to other the exhaust, de-cat and 182 manifold

J o n
06-10-2008, 17:10
i'd have done it myself if I wasn't crap lol. The kit comes as a plug and play one and pre mapped anyway to keep costs down. Power isn't even worth comparing to a stock, breathed on or even cammed car to be honest. They are in a different league lol

Mine made 26bhp at peak over a std car iirc and it was over 30bhp through the range. It makes more torque and peaks and flat lines from 3800rpm instead of 5250rpm... mines quick as fook tbh and never missed a beat and has been thrashed mercilessly on road and track alll it's life :D

Better mpg too! :shock: 8)

Riley
07-10-2008, 10:31
good stuff, thanks for your info buddy. Just need to get something sorted for ankers now too :lol: