PDA

View Full Version : 33mm inlets noticeable?

number1
04-10-2008, 23:20
For the cost of taking a head off and having new seats fitted, recut to a multi angle job and megane inlets fitted, would i notice anything? my heads already been ported by hillpower i believe, im running standard cams, dont have any intention of fitting lairy cams tbh, am aiming for a decent power with standard cams, 170 so far and thats before the supersprint, would like 180 on standard cams and a decent remap

What you reckon folks?

Dave

Mr.AdamB
05-10-2008, 13:58
i dotn think u will get 180 or even 170+ with no cams on a decent set of rollers.

mine made 169.8 bhp on RStuning rollers & 149lbs\ft thats remapped with catcam2225s, megane4-2-1 which is just as good as a SSmanifold manifold,skuttle IK, removed PAS.

funny thing is it RRd at 177 bhp before the cams and remap on a different set of rollers!! lol

so if i went to that same place for some pub figures proably will make 190 or soemthign stupid. :)

but get it to RStuning for a remap is u want accurate results. IMO.

jay s
05-10-2008, 14:44
My advice dont go to RS tuning, will underread if the car is n/a. only seems to like cars with blowers stripped on to the side :wink:

number1
05-10-2008, 15:00
RS tuning is in leeds so not exactly close for me, im sure that i read that summeh's car is producing 180bhp on standard cams with 33mm inlets and some mild headwork, so i fancy giving it a go

Dave

Mr.AdamB
05-10-2008, 15:22
yeah 180hp on wat dyno lol. doesnt he hav noz as well? RS tuning is a mission from me also bu they did a fecking good job remapping my hybrid. gains of 10 - 20 lbs/ft :)love the extra tourque pulls like a train.

im heading to surrey RR soon to see wat it wil lRR on a different dyno for pub figures :)

end of the day boils down to RR figures which are all different... just see how it performs on the 1/4 mile and track :) only way to really tell how fast summin is.

summeh
05-10-2008, 16:41
yeah 180hp on wat dyno lol. doesnt he hav noz as well? RS tuning is a mission from me also bu they did a fecking good job remapping my hybrid. gains of 10 - 20 lbs/ft :)love the extra tourque pulls like a train.

im heading to surrey RR soon to see wat it wil lRR on a different dyno for pub figures :)

end of the day boils down to RR figures which are all different... just see how it performs on the 1/4 mile and track :) only way to really tell how fast summin is.

Hill power dyno.

Yes I do have "noz".

My "pub" figures... 180bhp, 155lb/ft, 33mm megane inlets, 3 angle valve seats, some port bowl work, superscrack manifold, janspeed zorst and remap.

Standard cams... As for rolling roads, this is the result I got from when I took my car to the clio16valver hill power rolling road day earlier this year, iirc everyone was getting shit results, quite a few upset people! So if anything those rollers under-read :wink: considering I only spent about 300quid on these mods it aint bad i reckon :) Better mod than cams imho, specially since my car produces more power than quite a few people who slap cams in.

The "noz" shot is +75bhp so about 255bhp.

Mr.AdamB
05-10-2008, 18:39
same argument everytime when RR results are involved tho rly... so im not gna say no more because its pointless.

id like to see wat it can do on the 1/4 mile :wink:

arj256
05-10-2008, 19:04
Go for 33mm Valves as there cheaper to replace if you ever needed to in the future.
I recon you would see an improvement, but mainly from doing the job as a whole.

same argument everytime when RR results are involved tho rly... so im not gna say no more because its pointless.

id like to see wat it can do on the 1/4 mile :wink:

And the comment about 1/4 miles is as irrelevant as the Dyno one.
Alot of cars get pretty 1/4's but don't put that sorta pace down on the road..

number1
05-10-2008, 19:25
Just want a broad torque figure tbh, its got heaps of torque now, going to do it as part of a full rebuild anyhow, btw i only have lil valver inlets atm so hoping to see a difference, Wasnt one of martins old hybrids uncammed and still did a 14.1??

summeh
05-10-2008, 23:01
1/4 figures really just as pointless as rolling road figures, maybe even more so, as you have even more to take in to consideration:

- driver
- wind (head/tail direction, speed)
- weight (stripped etc)
- temperature
- tyres

Probably lots of other variables.

At least with RR figures you can cross: driver, wind, temperature, and weight of that list. lol

Mr.AdamB
05-10-2008, 23:55
yeah i know wat ure saying... if everyones was RR on the same day then u can compare well or even same rollers.. but still u can go on another set of rollers and the figure be completely different.

end of the day dont matter wat power it has etc just wat it goes like :D

martins std hybrid ran a 13.9 i managed a 13.7 in mine with a std engine (internal wise) but both cars are stripped to the bone.

but i get wat u saying anyway.

jay s
06-10-2008, 15:35
yeah i know wat ure saying... if everyones was RR on the same day then u can compare well or even same rollers.. but still u can go on another set of rollers and the figure be completely different.

martins std hybrid ran a 13.9 i managed a 13.7 in mine with a std engine (internal wise) but both cars are stripped to the bone.

cough cough, semi slicks :wink:

Mr.AdamB
06-10-2008, 17:29
there road legal thats all that matters. :twisted:

2 live
06-10-2008, 17:39

with just cat back s/s zorst, de-cat. k&n panel filter mine ran 14.6s all day.

martins std engine was quick, but then hed cut 1/2 the shell out, ran no interior except a few cable ties to hold the clocks in etc etc.

my times were all std bodwork, just rear seats and spare wheel removed.

ran 14.9-15.1s with all the seats in, spare wheel etc..........this includes both the kids recaros in the back too.

with cams 14.4 n mapped, ran 14.0 ..again with jst rear seats/spare removed

and run on michy pe2s

J o n
06-10-2008, 17:48

no, an RR day with other Clio's there will tell you more if we're purely discussing 'engine' performance. A 1/4 mile proves **** all other than who's removed more of their car's interior and can get a better launch or has stickier tyres. The only slightly relevent thing about a 1/4 mile is the trap speed... even then weight still plays a part.

And as Arj says, some of these stripped cars up and moving aren't all that impressive when setting off from 70+ on a motorway.

Mr.AdamB
06-10-2008, 18:11
LOL

Mr.AdamB
06-10-2008, 18:13
i love this thread :)

cliolord
06-10-2008, 18:28
I havent even read any replies to this thread. I am going to deck some oppinions of mine straight down on the tarmac. Is any modification worth it? You have to remove a F7P and refit a F7R for 13bhp is your going hybrid....In reality this makes for a much better, healthy and of course helps the car launch out of bends with grace. So I think it's a worthy modification....In reply to the 33mm inlets, this should increase bhp at the higher point of the powerband at the disadvantage of loosing abit of low down material. The N/A build is always going to be an expensive route with even a set of decent cams making only minor increase on a stock builds performance in reality and although say a cammed F7R against a stock F7R 0-100mph may only be 2 cars in it, those 2 cars will be very hard to pull back with modifications to that other stock F7R. People seem to think if you cam an engine it's going to be insaine, but most of the time they leave disappointed in all honesty as their expecting the same gains from say a remap on a turbo vehicle. This is N/A once again and rev the ****ing shit out of it.com I am not a fan of the turbo setup's as IMO it ruins the very reason I own one....The handling is just...........Amazing words here..........

number1
06-10-2008, 18:41
Turbo's FTL think ill do 33's when the engines out again next year, i fitted a supersprint recently and over a valver manifold its given me probably a slightly quicker "bridge test speed" but for £375 it would of annoyed me, luckily i pad £200 for it so wasnt disappointed, just want to see what power i can get out of it without fitting lairy cams

Dave

richy
06-10-2008, 18:54
i agree with what cliolord says, with n/a tuning its always hand to make good gains esp for small amount of money!...

number1, i would only change to 33mm valves if you have to take the head off for a fault etc as the gain wont be much for the cost and effort of removing it all, and theres always the chance something else will **** up in the process!!!

and agree with the supersprint manifold costs im glad i only paid 200 for mine as again you dont gain much, mine felt 'free'er' to rev with the ss over a 16v cast lump but ive also saved about 50kg from getting rid of that lol!! ugly cast shit!!

number1
06-10-2008, 18:57
Richy the manifolds worth it for the weight loss, The looks and the rally car burble ;) lol performance increase was about what i expected and yeah, will wait until i have all the bits to do a full engine rebuild next year then fit 33's

wills218
06-10-2008, 19:25
I found my best modification was some super lairy cams i made at home on my lathe, gave me about 30-40bhp however at the cheaper end of the market you can gain around 20-30 bhp through the use of shell v power or bp ultimate, i would recommend both!!! :lol:

number1
06-10-2008, 19:27
30-40bhp is that it? i made a set of cams on my lathe gave me 300bhp
Your cam design must be way out!

:roll:

wills218
06-10-2008, 19:29
i only had a right hand knife edge tool and it was blunt!!!
:roll:

richy
06-10-2008, 21:09
i made my cams out of playdoe, and no run 794bhp, 956lb/ft and it returns 76mpg on full chat! :lol:

the manifold is ok for noise, but the cammed idle is 10x better lol

number1
06-10-2008, 22:38
Damn richy thats similar power to mine, Heres a power graph to compare...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/davebell1984/untitled2.jpg

On a Serious note, Did you lose any low down with cams?

Dave[/img]

summeh
07-10-2008, 11:06
Damn richy thats similar power to mine, Heres a power graph to compare...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/davebell1984/untitled2.jpg

On a Serious note, Did you lose any low down with cams?

Dave[/img]

That torque curve needs smoothing out a bit :o

richy
07-10-2008, 19:04
love the graph lol

tbh i cant say what it had from std as i rebuilt the engine and fitted the cams at same time(was a 1.8 before), but it makes almost full torque from 2500rpm to nearly 7000rpm and pulls well from pretty much anywhere in the rev range! unfortantly i cant find the graph but tbh want to take it to another rr just to see how it runs on there, not to worried what power/torque it makes!

number1
07-10-2008, 22:46
Heres my pre supersprint rr run.. Torque pretty damn good i reckon :P

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/davebell1984/img001.jpg

Not bad for just and exhaust, headwork and gunnerchip with green panel filter, Engine was probably heatsoaked right up as i was queing for some time to get on the rollers!

summeh
14-10-2008, 14:30
I've just been comparing my rr graph to the above posted graph. For those of you who think 33mm inlets move everything up the RPM band are wrong... Compared to the previous posted RR graph mine is all peaking 500rpm lower. I.e. its making 180bhp at 6k rpm and 155lb/ft @ 5500rpm, but torque is pretty much flat (a lot flatter than that graph), and almost all there at 3500rpm.

Allan
16-10-2008, 15:34
Is it just the inlet valves that get enlarged ? or worth doing exhaust too ?

What exactly gets done :D

You have the head chemicaly cleaned, then ported and polished, new inlets cut in and seats recut, then 3 angles cut?

Just wondering what usualy gets done here :D

Do the meganes have bigger inlets aswell as exhaust?

stan
16-10-2008, 17:33
no same exhaust valves.

Std seats are milled out, larger ones fitted, then cut to suit the new valves.

Yes 3angles.

number1
16-10-2008, 17:56
I need to get another run done now i have a supersprint tbh, think ive gained a few bhp here and there, certainly not lost any power anywhere i dont think

Would be good to see a comparison before and after

Dave

Allan
16-10-2008, 18:04
tempted to put my spare stainless on the williams and see if i get any gains, might decat it too

richy
16-10-2008, 18:08
I've just been comparing my rr graph to the above posted graph. For those of you who think 33mm inlets move everything up the RPM band are wrong... Compared to the previous posted RR graph mine is all peaking 500rpm lower. I.e. its making 180bhp at 6k rpm and 155lb/ft @ 5500rpm, but torque is pretty much flat (a lot flatter than that graph), and almost all there at 3500rpm.

the person who told me that was the same person who did both your headwork and mine(which is identical headwork)

the other thing is how did you get the headwork/remap and manifold/exhaust for £300??

Allan
16-10-2008, 18:29
some very cheap deals :)

and his headwork was 300 not the exhaust and manifold

summeh
16-10-2008, 22:18

the person who told me that was the same person who did both your headwork and mine(which is identical headwork)

the other thing is how did you get the headwork/remap and manifold/exhaust for £300??

Well it was 180 for the head rebuild, 64quid for the megane inlets 8x £8 plus a bit for delivery etc. The port job was a favour.

What do you think about your headwork?

The remap is just the map from my cup car which is a chipwizards map to an engine of similar spec putting out 175bhp.

richy
16-10-2008, 22:27
well you could tell it had work done around the bowls, tbh couldnt fault the head condition etc

cant honestly say how much difference it made to peformance as i fitted it on a fully rebuilt engine with cams/map work, main reason i had the work done was because it had bent valves etc from a belt failure.