PDA

View Full Version : Coilover selection: Opinions please!

Wobba
02-10-2008, 14:17
Has anyone used any of the following:

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?product=3815895

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?product=3752837

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?product=3735477

Next month I will either renew OE struts and springs after I sort my trackrods and tracking OR get the credit card out for some fun and games with some of the above selection.

What do you think of prices shown there? How does the car feel after these are fitted and how adjustable are they?

Thanks fellas!

LEIGH-ANNE
02-10-2008, 15:45
Thanks fellas!

[-(

Wobba
02-10-2008, 16:32
Thanks fellas!

[-(

I did think of you as I wrote that, but you don't have coilies...well, not car ones anyway.

MAXIBOY
02-10-2008, 16:36
http://www.europerformance.co.uk/images/products/large/h&rcoiloverkits.jpg

my money on these....though there all good and tuv approved..

H and R make some on the best springs in the world..there dampers i'm yet to try..but there very very big on testing their stuff

Wobba
02-10-2008, 16:56
http://www.europerformance.co.uk/images/products/large/h&rcoiloverkits.jpg

my money on these....though there all good and tuv approved..

H and R make some on the best springs in the world..there dampers i'm yet to try..but there very very big on testing their stuff

I have heard they are good. I dont wanna buy shite ones and would pay a premium. £650 quid all in, not so bad.

richy
02-10-2008, 18:14
not tryed any of them, but from doing abit of digging i found that the h&r coilovers use bilstein inserts(although i cant see them being quite as good as bilsteins own stuff)

the FK kits use koni yellow inserts, and i beleive KW are in house designed etc so they should all be pretty good, i personally have avo coilovers and had them coming upto 2 year and not had any problems except 1 started leaking recently so off for a refurb!

but as its been said many times if your only using the car for road use and not arsed about mad lowering then stick with the std willy set up, its more then good enough for that.

Wobba
02-10-2008, 18:34
not tryed any of them, but from doing abit of digging i found that the h&r coilovers use bilstein inserts(although i cant see them being quite as good as bilsteins own stuff)

the FK kits use koni yellow inserts, and i beleive KW are in house designed etc so they should all be pretty good, i personally have avo coilovers and had them coming upto 2 year and not had any problems except 1 started leaking recently so off for a refurb!

but as its been said many times if your only using the car for road use and not arsed about mad lowering then stick with the std willy set up, its more then good enough for that.

Cheers Richy. I know this has been something discussed over and over but I am not overly convinced at how 'planted' a standard car feels. I think it is down to personal preference. Also of course the OE can be pretty darn good over the crappy English B roads whilst a harsher setup will discourage most drivers on our UK potholes.

It's something I will have to think hard about.

Having removed the rear seats and spare wheel/cage etc the rear of the car looks quite high, so I am thinking of cosmetic reasons to change the OE setup as well, not just for handling.

richy
02-10-2008, 18:56
def all down to personal preference, i like my hybrid on coilovers, only really use it on track so i can live with the bumpy roads now n then lol

i personally wouldnt mind trying the KW v2 in the future, suppose to be very good units!

jay s
02-10-2008, 19:13
ive got the FK's ( these ones tho not the ss versions : http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?product=3734824 ) ive had them fitted for around 3 years now and must say they have been faultless. they come with adjustable height, dampning and camber which is all handy. they are very good on the road but even better once on track :D i did look at gettting the h&r's but the lack of rear shock put me off as i wanted a set of matching shocks front and rear. kw's are very good from what ive heard and also come with rear shocks. i did consider the kw's but got the fk's for a very good price so went with them :D

Daz.
02-10-2008, 21:14
I guess most of us see a 'standard' setup through tainted glass - we'd have to renew all standard stuff and see how that feels before saying it its not enough for us, then go the coily route...

Darn exspensive way but I guess its the only real way of getting a personal informed opinion :D

MAXIBOY
02-10-2008, 21:24
H+R and bilstein...winning combination..

richy
02-10-2008, 21:25
I guess most of us see a 'standard' setup through tainted glass - we'd have to renew all standard stuff and see how that feels before saying it its not enough for us, then go the coily route...

Darn exspensive way but I guess its the only real way of getting a personal informed opinion :D

been there lol i replaced everything on my old williams 3 and although it was nice to drive on backroads i had to get uprated springs(200lb-kept it std height pretty much though)

Justin..
02-10-2008, 23:28
i wouldnt. simple.

Daz.
03-10-2008, 06:31

been there lol i replaced everything on my old williams 3 and although it was nice to drive on backroads i had to get uprated springs(200lb-kept it std height pretty much though)

Sounds like a plan :D

I could be these 172 cup springs on and see whats what also :wink:

white16valver
03-10-2008, 12:30
It's all good on mine with a complete refresh! :D

Well, bar the track rod issues... lol

eternalife
04-10-2008, 15:59
H+R and bilstein...winning combination..

Totally agree.
Bilstein have race experience with the Mk1 clio's as well.
Data is a beautiful thing.

Adi82 on this forum uses the H&R Coilovers (I believe he is the only person) and after asking him a billion question's about the 'Coilies V OEM debate' I decided to go with the standard suspension and never looked back.

OEM suspension is more than capable on track and by from what I have experienced and what others have said by far the best Road set-up.

I would definitely advise reading up on old threads/posts by Martin and Zollo for more info and sound opinion on the infamous: ''Aftermarket adjustable coilover V OEM suspension debate''

I do believe Winston is also quite adament on OEM suspension now too - even if he is fitting it to a 5 LMAO! :lol: