PDA

View Full Version : computer tech head help needed!!!!!

FATBOY
28-09-2008, 20:01
im running windows XP. and i have just upgraded to the AOL (yes i now its bad) 8MB unlimited package. but since ive upgraded my download speeds have dropped drastically. ive phoned AOL and they have said it could be a faulty line filter??? they are sending me some new ones. they have done a line test and everything is ok. i am also awaiting the arrival of my new wireless router(could that help??). i have also downloaded the newest version of shareaza, and i have set it all up and have done the line test, which fails?

it comes back saying

Results
TCP: The TCP connection has timed out. This can be due to a stealth firewall or router that has not been configured properly for Shareaza.
UDP: No answer has been received from your client. This can have various reasons, like that your firewall or router isn't properly configured for Shareaza, or Shareaza is not running on this port, or not connecting to the networks.
At least one problem has been detected and you probably have to configure your firewall or router for Shareaza. If you need help with configuring your firewall or router, visit this page on the wiki: FAQ: Routers/Firewalls.

how do i make/check that a port is open????

this is so frustrating. any help much appreciated

busterhymes
28-09-2008, 21:21
try portforwarding site m8 may help,AOL d*****t isp when you checked to make sure you could receive an 8mb service was it confirmed, they apply speed throttling at busy times im told due to demand try it at quieter times of day for improved speed

number1
06-10-2008, 23:05
ive just upgraded my aol to the wireless router, 8mps, speeds got slighty better over the usb modem i had, not 8mps according to a speed test site i went on the fastest i can get is 6.5mps in my area

Dave

Purple
07-10-2008, 02:51
It might be poor copper line quality. What was the previous modem's line speed? At 8Mbps speed, it's best to use an ADSL2+ modem as the older ADSL1 modems max out around 7Mps under the best line conditions.

Also, to rule out high CPU loading from Shareaza: While downloading something, pull up the Task Manager (right-click over the taskbar) and check CPU Usage. If it's 100% most of the time, you will need a processor upgrade or/and clean up the junk in your PC. Generally, any processor above 2Ghz should be able to cope with high BT activities.

busterhymes
07-10-2008, 17:27
when they state 8mb service its usually upto so unless you happened to be sited next door to a new exchange its unlikely you will get full speed no matter what router/modem you have demand plays a big part in service speed as does distance from exchange most of the isp are getting to the point where demand is getting to the point where the servers are havin probs during peak periods, also even if you have an unlimited downloads package they will still slow you down if they consider you are exceeding what they consider is reasonable