PDA

View Full Version : volvo turbo conversion questions

Phoenix
11-09-2008, 01:56
i found everythign i need for conversion on ebay. but just looked at a pic of the volvo engine. now i knwo it fits in on the rsi's engine mounts bar one mount but the engine looks identical to the rsi engine. this makes me think. why cant you just put the turbo/intercooler onto the rsi engine to save swapping the whole engine?

wil4s1
11-09-2008, 03:28
internals are different. Pistons have different compression ratios you will also prob find that cams are different also.

volymmannen
11-09-2008, 08:18
turbo piston on the leftside, F3N 1721cc 8v on the right
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g159/volymmannen/motor/PICT1750.jpg

the volvo engine is From renault so it fits perfect, there are many R5 GTE in sweden with the 4** turbo lump, as we dont have the GTT in sweden,so its the easiest way to get more power.

volymmannen
11-09-2008, 08:36
the injection system has to be changed, the volvo uses a air flow meter, not a MAP sensor from a NA engine cant be used for turbo as it cant cope with boost.
but if you change to turbopistons and get a turbocam from catcams a better turbo an make a better manifold and tune the injection.there would be alot more power than 120hp, a boost increase on the standard turbo to 0,75bar is around 155hp
a homemade manifold and standard.
http://rejsa.nu/im/_garage/212-new_2007-06-25-grenror.jpg

Phoenix
11-09-2008, 12:29
so not quite as simple as taking off a turbo from the volvo engine...hmmm
less hastle if it was just a straight engine swap...

u33db
11-09-2008, 12:46
Why don't you just tune the RSI or swap to a 16v/willy or just buy a williams.

Less hassle and more reliable than the crappy volvo lump.

Phoenix
11-09-2008, 13:02
not much i can do to the rsi plus this one has something seriously wrong with it(jolts a lot and is seriously down on power to about 90bhp). the 16v/willy been done loads and the volvo engine has a good tuning potential simply cause of the turbo. although i was told a 172 engine will fit in on the rsi mounts as well. but thats too much work

u33db
11-09-2008, 13:07
Kill 2 birds with one stone;

Stick a 2ltr 8v in from a laguna/megane in it.

More power/torque, will fix your duff rsi lump and no wiring problems.

Mark One
11-09-2008, 17:55
it's always going to be a bit annoying dealing with the wiring.

as i understand it, the volvo lump isnt all that bad, and they are cheap. If you could afford some standalone management for it, that'd be ideal.

iirc porsche had something to do with the re-engineering of the NA lump to make it the 1.7 turbo. Aparently it came back from porsche with plenty more than 120bhp and volvo mapped it down.
fairly stirdy units.

Phoenix
11-09-2008, 17:58
anyone wanna help me do the conversion to save me going in blind lol?
i thought it was odd that a 1.7 turbo had less then most 1.8s

the one on ebay has had everything done to it to fint in a clio minus a ocuple of things which are already in my rsi engine(alternator n powersteering pump)

white16valver
11-09-2008, 18:29

as i understand it, the volvo lump isnt all that bad, and they are cheap. If you could afford some standalone management for it, that'd be ideal.

iirc porsche had something to do with the re-engineering of the NA lump to make it the 1.7 turbo. Aparently it came back from porsche with plenty more than 120bhp and volvo mapped it down.
fairly stirdy units.
That could be worth looking into... :twisted:

Clio_GTT
11-09-2008, 18:32
anyone wanna help me do the conversion to save me going in blind lol?
i thought it was odd that a 1.7 turbo had less then most 1.8s

the one on ebay has had everything done to it to fint in a clio minus a ocuple of things which are already in my rsi engine(alternator n powersteering pump)

I'll give you a hand mate, i'm the other side of stratford

volymmannen
11-09-2008, 22:45
Is the RSi engine a 1,8 ? then the turbo pistons dont fit,the are to small,the bore on the turbo is 81mm the RSI is 82mm
so the best would be to fit a F3R 2,0 8v engine , it looks like your engine and has the same power and tourqe as the R5 GTT..

volymmannen
11-09-2008, 22:57

fairly stirdy units.

So a remap would get plenty power, i dont think so.
the cylinderhead is realy bad, there are small valves, small turbo and it has the combustionchamber in the piston,this makes the pistons to take alot of heat.
The engine is based on a diesel,without turbo and no power :lol:
I have seen one engine in sweden producing 162hp and 211 Nm with 0,7bar of boost, with a bigger turbo and better manifold.

qwerty
13-09-2008, 22:30
There is a guy on one of the Volvo Forums that can remap the ECU for about £80 and it releases quite a bit of power, can't remeber how much though......might be worth looking into..

spikey-ben
28-09-2008, 18:20
I was looking into this conversion when i had my RSI i never got round to doing it because i baught my williams. I think 160/170 bhp is quite easily to get out of the volvo lump if i recall correctly. I remember sombody doing this conversion to a clio before. Found this on the net it might be worth contacting the owner about.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/717804
I say do it do be put off

Sharpy
13-10-2008, 23:06
volvo lumps in my r5 at mo eazyly tunable!
chipped ecu
saab red injectors
bigger turbo ie t28
upgraded fuel pump
front mount i/c
stronger cluch
23psi will be knockin on door at 220ish bhp in a car that weighs 800kg

volymmannen
14-10-2008, 19:53
volvo lumps in my r5 at mo eazyly tunable!
chipped ecu
saab red injectors
bigger turbo ie t28
upgraded fuel pump
front mount i/c
stronger cluch
23psi will be knockin on door at 220ish bhp in a car that weighs 800kg
the rods and pistons wont last long with 23psi