PDA

View Full Version : Intercooling vs chargecooling

Allan
06-08-2008, 09:07
What are the pro's and conns of Charge cooling vs an intercooler?

Coops
06-08-2008, 10:49
intercooler is more efficient basically, chargecooler used where space is an issue or to retain look of the car, least thats the impression i got

white16valver
06-08-2008, 10:51
I always thought intercooling was best/easiest as chargecooling involves running associated pipework and having to cool the liquid etc, but with so little space in the clio engine bay I think chargecooling may be the way to go, unless you're happy with a whacking great intercooler sticking out the front and a chopped up bumper lol

BB run the chargecooler on the Turbo conversions though and it seems to be ok :)

Allan
06-08-2008, 13:15
could fit another clio under the dimma front bumper lol

So no one have a proper pros vs cons then.

How about running both ? too much presure loss?

Allan
06-08-2008, 13:18
bloody edit button :P

Hmm well that super charger thread someone starated over on clio16valver, the conversion doesn't run a cooling system, but im sure you could squeeze some more power out of it with either a charge cooler or fmic to get the temps down.
hence the question.

more research needed i think

Clio_GTT
06-08-2008, 16:39
Chargecooling reduces temps more than intercooling especially proper jobbies.

Think old air cooled beatle engine vs modern water cooled engine. There's lots of physics behind it but basically air-water cooling is better than air-air. Get your ass on RTOC.

http://www.advancedvehicletuning.co.uk/avtpwr.htm <----- awesome CC's

Allan
06-08-2008, 20:41
ah cool thanks for the info :D

Allan
06-08-2008, 20:43
its not for a turbo application but ta :D

MAXIBOY
06-08-2008, 21:02
hi...

charge cooling is more efficient and more controllable than inter cooling but takes more work and more now how...

Allan
07-08-2008, 13:15
what to the BB conversions use, i was reading over on RTOC that the charge cooler setup was 500 notes, is it just an IC with water around it then pumped to some type of rad ?

Smudger
07-08-2008, 17:02
what to the BB conversions use, i was reading over on RTOC that the charge cooler setup was 500 notes, is it just an IC with water around it then pumped to some type of rad ?

thats bascially it

you have your charcooler core which is surrounded by a water jacket.

water is pumped through a pre rad which is normally mounted on the front of the car somewhere into one side of the charge cooler and then out the otherside into a small header tank and then back into the rad.

Chargecoolers are great for any application really and they dont suffer headsoak like FMIC's do in hot weather. Another bonus of a charge cooler is that when you wanna drop charge temps even more (especially on a hot day) you can put ice water (or even a small amount of liquid nitrogen) in the header tank :D

Smudger
07-08-2008, 17:05
grrr *edit*

heatsoak...not headsoak

haha

Allan
07-08-2008, 17:11
Yeah i was reading about that for drag racing applications.
so the only thing i could improve on would be possibly the charge cooler design or a bigger rad for the charge cooler, i assume you cant drop the water temps much above the ambiant temp.

Ok so when the car is stationary do you require any extra cooling on the prerad ?

Or because the turbo will not be spooled up can you just get away with it being air cooled.

Smudger
07-08-2008, 17:16
Yeah i was reading about that for drag racing applications.
so the only thing i could improve on would be possibly the charge cooler design or a bigger rad for the charge cooler, i assume you cant drop the water temps much above the ambiant temp.

Ok so when the car is stationary do you require any extra cooling on the prerad ?

Or because the turbo will not be spooled up can you just get away with it being air cooled.

well any cooling system when stationary will get warmer. An intercooler will suffer heat soak and so will a radiator. You could i suppose fit a small fan to the front of the charge cooler pre-rad but due to the characteristics of water it takes much longer for it to warm up than air does so i would say its not worth the hassle.

jamesy
08-08-2008, 17:16
if its any help this is where i got my charge cooler from.

http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/Charge_Coolers-291.asp

Allan
10-08-2008, 23:12
are these much of an improvement over the BB chargecoolers?

MAXIBOY
10-08-2008, 23:20
no..and it kit form as expensive...

jamesy
11-08-2008, 11:01
tbh i have no idea,i choose the barrel one as i could run that without moving my battery to the boot.

Allan
11-08-2008, 11:18
Maxiboy, did you junk the ABS on your valver when you did your tubby ?

MAXIBOY
11-08-2008, 13:11
yes mate

hate renault abs and no need with the 4 pots in my opinion.