PDA

View Full Version : Magnex system = lower torque??

Wobba
23-07-2008, 22:44
Well, I got my standard exhaust off, finally, then got the Magnex on (still with decat). It actually seems t have less torque now. When I drove it about with just mid section it was much torquier than this.

What's amiss? Surely it should not be less torquey or could I just be imagining it...

Smudger
23-07-2008, 23:22
if im honest mine feels the same, even compared to the shagged and blowing standard exhaust i had

Purple
24-07-2008, 05:46
You may have reduced the back pressure by too much. I have a mid-muffler box replacing the original cat (when it broke) as my lightly tuned Williams did not have enough air flow to build up the back pressure when using a straight through decat.

u33db
24-07-2008, 09:32
Well, I got my standard exhaust off, finally, then got the Magnex on (still with decat). It actually seems t have less torque now. When I drove it about with just mid section it was much torquier than this.

What's amiss? Surely it should not be less torquey or could I just be imagining it...

I wouldn't have thought you'd notice it with that setup but its likely.

I went from a decated std 16v system to a decat-unsilenced centre-magnex bb and lost considerable low-mid range drivability.

You get gains back at the top end though...

J o n
24-07-2008, 11:18
Magnex system are shit tbh, I had 2 or 3 different ones on mine and none of them ran well at all with a decat. Put the cat back on, it will sound better and go better.

Daz.
24-07-2008, 11:22
Put the standard back on - going from a full 2.5" stainless steel powerflow to new renault exhaust simply made things quieter and easier to cope with, there was no difference in performance, if anything it feels better.

u33db
24-07-2008, 12:16
Away with ye!

Standard systems are crap!

If you're driving the car anywhere near properly and its decatted you'll blow the packing out of the rear...christ, even a 1.4 will do that so blatantly the std design is flawed and restrictive.

Daz.
24-07-2008, 13:26
Thats with a de-cat though

A standard car will have no problem at all with a standard exhaust system, I've had enough of loud exhausts and mods to add a few microns of bhp if I want to go faster I'll be buying another car on top of the willy - depends what Wobba wants out of his car, I thought his intentions were to mod the valver and keep the willy in original trim.

Anyhoo its yours, so who cares, you have what you have on the car that you have... you have... you have... :D

The fact is that the magnex doesn't seem to be doing what he wants it do, but the standard system did - easy solution is to swap back.

u33db
24-07-2008, 14:14
Slippers and pipe on route Daz...to go with your quiet standard system! lol :P

Smudger
24-07-2008, 14:45
ooo saying that i still have my cat in place

J o n
24-07-2008, 14:58
Away with ye!

Standard systems are crap!

If you're driving the car anywhere near properly and its decatted you'll blow the packing out of the rear...christ, even a 1.4 will do that so blatantly the std design is flawed and restrictive.

I noticed that on a basic breathing modded Clio the standard exhaust seemed better than my magnex, but not my Powerflow... depends on the system, but Magnex are utter shite tbh and it's no wonder they are now bankrupt. Personally I'd stick to standard, I'm also old and am leaning towards comfort, ala pipe and slippers.

u33db
24-07-2008, 15:10
Fair enough.

I can't comment on a pukka Magnex system as mine was a hybrid of a magnex backbox and devil centre section and decat...didn't rattle like the bb system it replaced and sounded amazing.

IIRC the full magnex's have a massive centre silencer...maybe thats the poor part?

summeh
24-07-2008, 16:37
ive got a janspeed on mine and its the dogs dangleys :D slightly louder than a scorpian, fits much nicer, don't notice any low-mid range loss.

proper exhaust system though :wink:

Daz.
24-07-2008, 17:15
Even if I was using boddies I'd still stick with standard exhaust - think it was Rod who was saying one of the lads he knew use to run like that - best of both worlds.

J o n
24-07-2008, 18:27
nah, with ITB's I'd want to maximise on power, so exhaust, decat etc would be a must, but it would still go like stink with just bodies. You have so much more power abolutely everywhere

FlamingMonkey
24-07-2008, 22:56
Magnex are top, my powerflow doesn't sound anywhere near like the Magnex did, nothing wrong with the powerflow, just prefer the note of the magnex

katbloke
25-07-2008, 07:39
i believe my magnex to be not as good as the bbpt number it has replaced, as soon as i can find someone who can get my bbpt to fit as good as the magnex by welding new brackets on im swapping back. That for me is the only good thing about the magnex is its fitting.

Tommo
25-07-2008, 11:27
I had a Magnex fitted at Tweeks yesterday, and they custom made a centre section, sounds amazing, can't get enough of the noise!! It will be your decat which is killing the torque, I had a devil one on mine ages ago and it killed low end torque and was so frustrating to drive, cat back on and it was 10 times better imo

MicKPM
25-07-2008, 13:32
I run a full Magnex setup with an unsilenced decat on my 16v Ph3 and I can't sing its praises enough. OE looks, a nice burble on idle and an improved noise that's not too much when driving... what more do you want?

The car seems to pull very well from 800rpm to the limiter so you sure you've not got a leak somewhere Wobba? The 16v CAT to Downpipe flange is pretty shite and mines always leaks unless I use silicone between the joint with a metal gasket.

J o n
25-07-2008, 15:03
may also depend on the system, 2.5, 2.25 or on of these but baffled up to hell and back and not a true size? Lot of factors to consider I guess...

Andy P
25-07-2008, 20:06
Ive had 3 exhausts on the williams now and they are all shit. None of them are fitting right and its starting to get on my tits :lol:

Magnex are crap imo. Boring loud drone, the mongoose i had was a poor fit (but it was designed for a RT) and the 16v scorpion isnt much good either.

Going to make 16v manifold fit soon and then decat and see how i get on and im not sure whether to make the scorpion fit or go for a standard system :helpsmile:

Wobba
25-07-2008, 21:08
Well...thanks all for the replies so far. I have had a look and I think it is blowing from the join at the end of the cat...I STILL have my cat on guys. Will be trying a decat soon though as I loved the noise on valver, it's just so...well...bad boy style :D

Previously, I ran the car for a day or two with just the mid section, a cat and no back box or u-bend on a completely standard setup. It had gobfuls of low end torque...which is weird as it should be the other way round I would have thought?

So, I'll try this decat and seal up the joints a bit better and see how it goes. The sound is quite good but I preferred the valvers decatted nutter sound. With full magnex and decat, the valver had noticeably more torque...

Allan
27-07-2008, 17:52
i have a scorpionon mine, but had a custom center made so it all fits no bloody knocking!

But its quiet pottering around and on a long run (no drone)and sounds nice when you boot it.

Had a stright through mongoose on for about 4 weeks and nearly went def from the horrid drone, but did get a lot more power from it...

i will take the power loss over hearing loss though :D

Wobba
28-07-2008, 22:42
I am wondering if its the heat we have been having that has made a lower torque feeling actually. Took car out tonight in the rain for some tailsliding action on a roundabout and the car felt torquey as hell again...weird.

Well, decat going on soonish, will see what happens...