PDA

View Full Version : Brake disc/pad options?

white16valver
23-06-2008, 18:49
Ok, it appears my front discs are getting low. They've done pretty well seeing as I'm running Pagid Blue pads but I'm not sure that they're quite what I want - they stop ok in the middle of the pedal travel but sometimes it feels like you can press harder and harder for no improvement in stopping power :?

Dunno if that's just new fluid and a bleed needed?

Anyway, what disc/pad combinations are people running?

I think I've got enough on the Blues to keep them on but if there's a better suited disc than the Brembo Max for them then I'd like to know...

Cheers all :)

16v_paddy
23-06-2008, 21:38
I'm running ebc turbo groove discs & redstuff pads in my wilwood calipers and I used greenstuff in the std ones

I would say there was a vast improvement over the std discs + pads and got better when I put braided lines on

I'm not sure how good the ebc discs would be with pagid blues as I have heard of ppl talking about how you shouldn't mix makes of discs and pads or how some don't perform well when combined with others ( for example, on my dads astra he's been told not to use redstuff pads with his tarox discs) You'd have to see what combinations other ppl are using

I'd put some braided lines on since you're gonna bleed the brakes as it's one of those "might as well do it" mods and it does improve the pedal feel

I do highly recommend ebc discs & pads as I've had no problems with mine and they do stop the car really well. 12 months & about 12 thousand miles with no issues with wear or fade and I regularly give them some serious hammer :lol:

cliokongen
23-06-2008, 22:01
I would recommend Brembo HC - either grooved or non grooved.
Pagid blues are supposed to be very good, especially at temp. - sounds like you have need to bleed your system.
New Green stuff compound is good for the street....
If doing lots of track days i would get a new set of Pagid Blues.
As 16v-Paddy says - change those lines while your at it.
Old rubber lines do give that soft and spongy feel as they deteriorate with age.

Btw... Nice seeing you again at the FCS Paul... :-)

Michael

2 live
24-06-2008, 00:49
std discs and ferodo ds2500 s on 1 of the willys. the pads eat discs tho lol, mine needs a new set of discs now actually, having nearly took me mate off his 600rr the other day lol. general feel is shit hot, never had any fade with em whatsoever, 1 set of pads, 3 sets of discs so far

other willy std discs and some other ferodo pads, not sure on these for no. but they are all red, feels to be quite a bit more travel with these, but they are pretty good. not so good wen cold like lol.

both cars are all braided hoses, same fluids etc. altho both are feeling decidedly dodgy in the braking dept. at the mo. hehe...........who needs brakes???? knock it down an extra cog ;)

white16valver
24-06-2008, 08:38
Thanks for the replies all :) and yes, good to see you Michael! :D

I've got the braided lines on as I got the pads, discs and lines in a package from Yozza 8)

That was a while ago now though, perhaps a couple of years, and I've not changed the fluid since then. Plus, the MOT tester man said that my front discs were looking a little low, so perhaps it's down to that as well?

More bloody money :roll: lol but I think I'll get the fluid changed first as I imagine that's the slightly easier and cheaper job to do. (Might even attempt it myself - dangerous! :shock: LoL)

Will have to speak to yoz about grooved/ungrooved brembo discs. I'm sure I've got the HC grooved ones already? but will see how much of a difference new fluid makes first!

MAXIBOY
24-06-2008, 08:42
fluid should be replaced every two years so start there...

cliokongen
24-06-2008, 10:17

Definitely - start there..... easy, cheap - might do the trick....
Check disc thickness while you're at it!

Michael

Evogone
24-06-2008, 12:54

Or every trackday , just bleeed the fluid in the caliper as thats where most of the air will be.

2 live
24-06-2008, 16:09
Thanks for the replies all :) and yes, good to see you Michael! :D

I've got the braided lines on as I got the pads, discs and lines in a package from Yozza 8)

That was a while ago now though, perhaps a couple of years, and I've not changed the fluid since then. Plus, the MOT tester man said that my front discs were looking a little low, so perhaps it's down to that as well?

More bloody money :roll: lol but I think I'll get the fluid changed first as I imagine that's the slightly easier and cheaper job to do. (Might even attempt it myself - dangerous! :shock: LoL)

Will have to speak to yoz about grooved/ungrooved brembo discs. I'm sure I've got the HC grooved ones already? but will see how much of a difference new fluid makes first!

personally i wouldnt go for grooved, been there warped em far easier than non grooved items.

fluid 1st

white16valver
24-06-2008, 18:39

Definitely - start there..... easy, cheap - might do the trick....
Check disc thickness while you're at it!

Michael
What should the disc thickness be?

I've still got grooves on the outside but the inside grooves are almost gone lol

I'm going to have to enlist someone to help me empty, refill and bleed the system - can't be that difficult! :)

Cheers for the advice everyone 8)

MAXIBOY
24-06-2008, 18:47
think the grooves indicate wear thickness on the grooved disc's..

but 20mm new minimum 18mm

white16valver
24-06-2008, 19:20
Only 2mm difference between new and minimum?!

I'm quite surprised at that.

Will check them out though - even I can manage that I think :oops: lol

MAXIBOY
24-06-2008, 19:23
need a micrometer really mate and need to measure the thinnest bit if there worn uneven..

white16valver
25-06-2008, 17:54
Maybe I can't manage that then... lol

I was just going to lay a ruler with mm marks on it across the width and see roughly where it was! :oops: :lol:

u33db
25-06-2008, 18:09
IIRC buypartsby ones are mintex and probably about the cheapest you'll get.

Tommo
25-06-2008, 22:19
My brakes were shite last year so I invested in the following:

Brembo sport drilled front brake kit
K-Tec drilled rear brake kit
Brembo high performance pads
Braided brake lines
Castrol response super dot 4 fluid

Seems to be a very good set up and more than happy, and they don't fade which the stnd brakes did...