PDA

View Full Version : Mapping - Advice...

eternalife
16-06-2008, 22:41
I am looking to get my car mapped soon and have a number of questions which I would hope some people may be able to offer advice on...

I am currently using a Emerald M3DK Ecu - which is capable of being upgraded to a K3 so that the ECU stores three maps which are switchable from inside the car - on the fly using a dashboard switch - via a configurable voltage input.

Has anyone any experience of this?

Is it worth upgrading having done?
Obviously this question is slightly open ended - although I am not too familiar with mapping and therefore, I currently believe a single map can be produced which can be geared towards MPG at certain throttle positions and RPM whilst also being geared towards power at other throttle positions/RPM (such as explained in questions 4 and 5)

Will a map which is geared towards MPG be 'grossly' different from one that is aimed at yielding maximum power potential?

Would it be possible to have a map which is geared primarily for power from 70%-100% throttle and between all other throttle positions be geared for fuel economy? Likewise, can the same be done for varying RPM - i.e. mapping for power above 4500rpm or something similar?

Does anyone have a 'single' map that varies its bias from MPG to Power according to Throttle position/RPM?

Can anyone also offer advice on how this will effect the behaviour of the engine and the cars drivability? - i would imagine the bias from MPG to Power can be done so in a gradual manner over many 'sites' thus making the car perfectly drivable?!

Finally, what experiences (if any) do people have of using Dave Walker for mapping purposes?

Any recommended mappers for Emerald ECUs?

Many thanks in advance.

stan
16-06-2008, 23:13
im sure i explained this to you on msn,,, :P

eternalife
16-06-2008, 23:37
^^^LOL - My questions at the time were loose, just need a more finite understanding of it all now :oops:

J o n
17-06-2008, 12:15
you dont need 3 maps, you just need one decent one. On full throttle the car will be mapped to go as quick as possible, but at part/half throttle etc you can get your economy that way.

Dont know how good/bad the Emerald is though or if it's worth using.

stan
17-06-2008, 12:29
lol now now

the emerald is perfectly fine.

I typed a mahoooosive reply to this earlier, and it give me that "debug" bollox and i lost the whole lot...i aint typing it again!

J o n
17-06-2008, 13:49
Craig, it does that when you take a while to post a reply, so only way around it is to cut/copy it and paste it back in and submit it if you get the error... it's a bloody pain in the arse!

eternalife
17-06-2008, 16:06
Jon
Thanks for the reply, I thought this was the case (after discussing it briefly with Stan a few months ago).
The only reason I can think of for having three maps personally, is one for full out racing, one normal one (with near full and full throttle application providing max power potential) and one for MOT time :D

Although, I reckon I am inclined to have just the one map - and tweak fuelling at MOT time :wink:

Stan
That is very annoying as no doubt it would have been an interesting read.
I personally think you should give it another try - its not like your busy moving premises, etc :wink: :lol:

Another question: How many 'sites' would be needed for a Mk1 Clio in its mapping? or rephrased...what is the optimum number of 'sites v time spent+gains acheived'?
I would imagine the more you have the better it is, however, for a Clio there must be a point where further increasing number of sites has little effect in the cars/engine behaviour.

summeh
17-07-2008, 01:47
I can't see the need for multiple maps. As stated before you'd have part throttle mapped for economy/cruising, then WOT is where you want maximum performance.

MOT is done on idle and 3k rpm? but no load... (neutral). So I don't think you would need an "MOT" map to cover yourself.

As for number of sites... Are you not limited to the memory size of the map chip?

Davey j
09-09-2008, 00:47
Dave Walker writes for Practical Performance Car Magasine. He always mentions when he has corrected someone elses work. So assuming he is either a) VERY GOOD or b) VERY UP HIMSELF. I think it is the former over the latter though................