PDA

View Full Version : powerflex bushes advice please

doug2.0
12-06-2008, 20:22
right as im doing my front suspension, teering column and TR ends, i thought i may as well do everything else front end wise.

ive done searches on wishbones on here but i have a question, why do people replace the whole part when you can just press the bushes out, and put a new ball joint on?
also is it really worth me buying th £100 powerflex ARB and wishbone kit?
are the GSF wishbone bushes good enough, or is it worth splashing out and fitting the better ones to the new wishbones?
and also any advice on getting a seized in TR end out? does that freeze spray help? as there a right pain especially if the spanner bits are a bit rounded

cheers for any help

MAXIBOY
12-06-2008, 20:36
1. because its easy and you can get the complete unit cheaper than buying renault bushes.
2. depends on your use...and opinion..for me no for others yes..
3. renault bushes in renault wishbones are best but you might not be able to tell the difference from the bestbuy ones which are the cheapest iirc
4. lots and lots of heat...blow torch..

doug2.0
12-06-2008, 20:51
cheers maxiboy your a star, i always feel annoying for asking loads of questions, im quite competent with cars just working on the williams is a little more daunting than others, and it has a tendency to spring surprises on me halfway through a job! (8 hour front wheel bearing for example :roll: )

so im always really grateful when i get a good response on here, and it helps me learn no end.
thanks again
doug

Lunner
12-06-2008, 20:57
With regards to track rod ends, if they are seized i'd personally, for the cot of them replace the rods as well, for what its worth, and the inner ball joints on teh track rods can wear too

busterhymes
12-06-2008, 21:05
got some play at the wheels which is in the rack so as you mention the inner bushes wear so where can i get replacements is it a renault only part,any idea on cost, its for a williams

richy
12-06-2008, 21:09
got some play at the wheels which is in the rack so as you mention the inner bushes wear so where can i get replacements is it a renault only part,any idea on cost, its for a williams

Euro car parts sell them for the williams, there a febi bilstein product about £30+vat for each side(comes with track rod and tie arm)

Lunner
12-06-2008, 21:11
i used normal ones for mine, no probs

doug2.0
12-06-2008, 21:31
isnt it a really big job tho as there is the powersteering pipe goes into it and the gaiters? i was gonna replace the whole lot but thought it was a bit out of my league for tool wise and work area

MAXIBOY
12-06-2008, 21:42
yeah they can be a bitch to change and i think need to be shimmed iirc.

Lunner
12-06-2008, 21:48
I've only ever done them on a manual rack, only extra tools were a pair of sthilsons i borrowed off a mate

doug2.0
12-06-2008, 21:57
shimmed?
yeah thought they would be hard, and the garage said so too.
it would be one of them jobs that continues into Sunday then something breaks and no shops are open, and im on the train again monday morning

i wish i had a big garage with all the right tools, a car lifter and a second car then i would be sorted lol

Twincam
12-06-2008, 22:07
Not to bad to do, depending on how well they come undone (they tend to be pretty tight)

Just pull back the steering gaiter and use some good vice grips (found the vice brand to be the best, nothing else seems to come close). the other problem is space, with it being a lack of

I clamped them up as tight as i could and managed to undo one by hand, the other i had to clamp it and use my hammer on the grips (dont like doing this but needs must)

They just unscrew, no fluid leaks as the hydraulic part is behind a seal

doug2.0
12-06-2008, 22:11
ah ok cheers mate i MAY give them a go but i dunno sound like the classic nightmare for me, not a large enough selection of tools and not enough time think ill try me luck tih the ends after a good blowtorching

spikey-ben
15-06-2008, 20:05
Deffo get some stilsons for the track rod end change i couldnt shift mine even with a couple of blow torches blasting on to it. Borrowed a big set of stilsons and was rocking. :)

doug2.0
15-06-2008, 20:52
right ive got
stilsons
molegrips (2)
blowtorch
wd40
and a pair of ample biceps lol

i think ill give em a go next weekend
got my OE willy shocks,
topmount kit and circlips
powerflex arb bushes on order
wishbones with ball joints on order
TR end on order
throttle cable to collect
welding rods to buy to weld steering column
so the whole front end is gonna be mint next weekend, gonna de rust and hammerite the lot too

all weather permitting obviously

:roll: