PDA

View Full Version : Mapping

samboRT
07-05-2008, 18:10
Looking to get a remap/chip...

Car spec is a williams block with piper 270 cams and pullies.

Whats hot, whats not, where to buy, experience and how much?

Many thanks

Sam

teabag
07-05-2008, 18:32
where you based?

rstuning is suppose to be good

in leeds iirc

hybridhughes
07-05-2008, 19:27
paul at rs tuning did mine,he worked wonders with the car. didnt realise how rough the car was running until he had sorted it.
i would definately recommend him.

samboRT
07-05-2008, 19:29
Prices? Im in warrington... so not far.

RS Tuning the best then?

richy
07-05-2008, 19:30
chip-wizards is near you, rochdale iirc

also contact gaztwo, im sure he was looking into something based your way

northy
08-05-2008, 10:43
wouldnt bother with chip wizards

fasterthanjesus
08-05-2008, 11:37
im going to rs tuning in leeds. once i get my car back :cry:

J o n
08-05-2008, 12:28
wouldn't bother with any of them on a relatively standard car, just get an off shelf chip like a gunner chip.

midge
08-05-2008, 12:40
when my car got mapped by nick hill he said 'whatever chip that was, it was shocking, the fueling was all over the place' - gunner chip

I would not go back to Nick hill, i felt like he was talking down on my car as it was put together by someone else, Jays car has had 3 remaps from him so far and still doesnt run correctly, Nick said it may be Jays fuel pump or injectors, we tried a spare ecu i had which has been mapped by prima and his car runs perfect! I also wouldnt take my car to gdi as some of the figures ive seen seem to be a bit optimistic, and other various story's i have heard..

Go to rs tuning, i wish i did!

Ahmed Bayjoo
08-05-2008, 13:22
what do people think of the dastek unichip?

MicKPM
08-05-2008, 13:33
I've found that tuners tend to slate other tuners work... remember, they're salemen at the end of the day to. Personally I think Nick Hill does do very good work but I can't comment on the map side of his business as he's never touched any map of mine. I've always used Dave Walker in the past and have nothing but good things to say about him but there are those who think he's useless.

I say "Cheapest isn't always bestest" but there is obviously a flipside to that coin. Just do your homework prior to agreeing to getting anything done or handing over any cash and you should be fine.

Coops
08-05-2008, 14:20
am gonna try paul up at RS aswell, heard nothing but good reports up to now

Lunner
08-05-2008, 14:53
Whats wrong with chipwizards now??

Thought they were the bees knees

richy
08-05-2008, 15:44

change of flavour! :lol:

J o n
08-05-2008, 15:48

I think people are getting the impression that after doing a couple of Clio's he got bored and didn't put the same amount of time and effort into subsequent cars. His early cars all make brilliant power, drive amazingly well and are genuinely fast on the road and in real terms... others were a little disappointing people felt.

Just get something proper like a Motec and stop fannying around

MicKPM
08-05-2008, 16:37
I've never used Chipswizzard either but I've heard good things about them to... I guess it depends on who you speak to at the end of the day as everyone's an expert in their own eyes though seldom are. (Not aimed at anyone) Agreed that standalone management is the better option however altering your OE setups ignition and injection map still basically falls back to mapping doesn't it J?

It's a black art as far as i'm concerned and needs to be done by someone who actually knows what they're on with and done LIVE for the car in question in a dyno cell.

samboRT
08-05-2008, 17:12
Im tempted to just drive to craig at APD and have it live mapped :D

drsmith1979
08-05-2008, 23:02
Anyone thought of trying megasquirt and the like and foooking around with it? could be a money spinner if the club chips in and then packages maps for it based on various states of tune 8)

stan
09-05-2008, 06:51

My gosh, we agree on something :lol:

bruce_rob
09-05-2008, 10:04
i would be up for giving it a go my car is my second car so i dont need it all the time may be worth having a mess about with it. i dont know much about mapping ecu's though is it hard to do your self

J o n
09-05-2008, 11:10
I've never used Chipswizzard either but I've heard good things about them to... I guess it depends on who you speak to at the end of the day as everyone's an expert in their own eyes though seldom are. (Not aimed at anyone) Agreed that standalone management is the better option however altering your OE setups ignition and injection map still basically falls back to mapping doesn't it J?

it does yeah, but on a Cup with a decat, cat back exhaust and a panel filter (all on stock ECU) made an increase of 12bhp back to back on Mech Repairs RR... on that I'd not bother with cams again, least not on a stock bottom end and head. Laura's getting an Omex on hers instead of cams, inlets and remap on the stock ECU now due to that.

My gosh, we agree on something :lol:

lol, yeah, it's mainly because I'm getting a Motec now the missus is getting a standalone... cant have her having something as good, so Motec or 710 to be purchased asap hehe

teabag
09-05-2008, 13:59
Anyone thought of trying megasquirt and the like and foooking around with it? could be a money spinner if the club chips in and then packages maps for it based on various states of tune 8)

eh?

how is this going to be a money spinner?

megasquirt is just standalone management (popular with the ford boys) its pretty cheap, pretty simple to use, but its very basic compared to other systems like omex, motec, dta, emerald etc

Glekke
11-05-2008, 22:15
Fastchip in Begium 8) .
He's a wizard with live mapping...

MAXIBOY
11-05-2008, 23:34
he did mine... :D

drsmith1979
11-05-2008, 23:46
you get the basic set up, you have someone competent build the ecu and come up with basic maps tried and tested on owners cars and then sell the whole lot as a package... instead of having to buy omex etc.. and then pay a large amount of money to have it live mapped where the results would vary considerably depending on the person doing it. It would be a step up from an 'off the shelf' chip, but without the expense of having hours and hours on a rolling road for every single person etc....

thats how it would be a 'money spinner'... all you have to do is look at some of the group buys to know that if someone has a good idea and has a way of taking out some of the expense with the same results then it sells... and sells well.

Lunner
12-05-2008, 12:56
Someone does the same thing, called a gunner chip.

If i was paying the money i'd be paying for a stand alone system, i'd sell out a few hundred extra and have it properly live mapped

bruce_rob
12-05-2008, 14:55
i got a gunner chip to go on my car ment to be a 13bhp increase with higer rev limter

teabag
12-05-2008, 14:58
you get the basic set up, you have someone competent build the ecu and come up with basic maps tried and tested on owners cars and then sell the whole lot as a package... instead of having to buy omex etc.. and then pay a large amount of money to have it live mapped where the results would vary considerably depending on the person doing it. It would be a step up from an 'off the shelf' chip, but without the expense of having hours and hours on a rolling road for every single person etc....

thats how it would be a 'money spinner'... all you have to do is look at some of the group buys to know that if someone has a good idea and has a way of taking out some of the expense with the same results then it sells... and sells well.

but it still would be a basic map, where as with a standalone system and pro mapping, you get a fully custom map tailored to your cars mods, remember every engine is different even if they have the same mods they never make exactly the same power

bruce_rob
12-05-2008, 15:42
true would be better having a propper management system but they are loads of cash.

MicKPM
12-05-2008, 15:52
All the "Proper" aka standalone management system does is gives you the ability to make tweeks to the running setup and interogate it yourself. Depending on the spec unit you buy also dictates what other "bells and whistles" you can add to your setup to... data & video logging, CAN Bus for display and warning systems, etc

For "Joe Average" who's added cams and had cylinder head work done a trip to RS Tuning or similar for a live mapping session of the OE management setup is more than enough to maximise the engines output and lets face it, most people would be happy at that and never require a re-map again. It's only when you start getting serious with changing compression ratio, altering induction setups etc that you really need to consider an aftermarket management system.

bruce_rob
12-05-2008, 17:51
true would be better having a propper management system but they are loads of cash.

Glekke
15-05-2008, 22:01
But still, why have a stand alone when u can get the same with the standard ecu...?
I think a standalone is fun when u can adjust all the things by yourself, but this ain't an easy job :)...

bruce_rob
15-05-2008, 23:14
or a cheap one either

drsmith1979
16-05-2008, 00:11
it would still be a base map but it will have inbuilt parameters that you can modify to suit your own individual cars... it works, there are other forums that do similar both in the US and the UK, you get a standard map which has been optimised for a specific trim and mod level, run it on yours, you can use live data logging or down loadable logging to monitor your own car and make adjustments based on these results. thus giving it its 'final fit' before its good to go.. that was my point in question..

you can change it if you wish yourself with the given software and there specific programs. With enough research from enough members, the individual parameters could easily be established as well as the standard tolerance levels etc....

schakal
16-05-2008, 01:20
how much does the average live mapping (standard ecu )
cost these days than people ??

Matty86
16-05-2008, 01:24
how do they map the ecu? where do they plug in to?

MAXIBOY
16-05-2008, 08:10

around 300

schakal
16-05-2008, 09:19

around 300

how long does it take to map it than ?? and why the feck is
it this expensive ?? are the replacement chips made of gold ??

stan
16-05-2008, 09:26
would take the best part of a day on these as you cant live map.

the cost is in the skill mate, your paying for a skill. And 300 is cheap for one of these ecu's, a live map (quicker/easier) on a standalone ecu will cost 300-350+, on an OE ecu, i'd say 350-400 at least.

MicKPM
16-05-2008, 09:54
RS Tuning ask for £400 + vat IIRC

eternalife
17-05-2008, 12:09
Seeing comments above regarding Nick Hills mapping...

Personally, I dont believe there is anything wrong with the NH Map itself as on the rollers at the time of mapping it seems to be giving good results.
I reckon the ECU (in its entirety i.e. the complete PCB Circuitry, not just the EPROM Chip) has a more underlying fault, which during its 'learning' phase is causing the car to run in the lean manner experienced.

Chipwizards did not do a good job on Cliolord's Stage 1 Hybrid - 2500 rpm idle not to mention the rest. Hence why the mention of 'not to bother' with them.

matty w
17-05-2008, 23:08
the thing is aswell the ecu's are 15 years old now and there hardly in the best place so a bit of water running in eventually is going to damage the ecu

kj16v
18-05-2008, 23:14
Fastchip in Begium 8) .
He's a wizard with live mapping...

I used to rate him but after having various emails ignored, I think he's a bit of a twat. Plus he doesn't deal with Mk.1's any more, so doubly twatish in my books!

And Fastchip's in Holland? Unless we're talking about different people. :?

rs27carrera
18-05-2008, 23:25
[quote=Glekke]Fastchip in Begium 8) .
I used to rate him but after having various emails ignored, I think he's a bit of a t**t. Plus he doesn't deal with Mk.1's any more, so doubly twatish in my books!

Exactly what kj said, I've been sending mails to him w/o reply so future support is more than questionable. :shock:

Glekke
19-05-2008, 21:29
Ya, you're wright, it's in holland...
Don't know why he doesn't reply mails, he still does R19's, that's the same lump as clio so...

Glekke
19-05-2008, 21:30
Ya, you're wright, it's in holland...
Don't know why he doesn't reply mails, he still does R19's, that's the same lump as clio so...

//edit *right* :lol: