PDA

View Full Version : best suspension?

eggsbenedict
23-04-2008, 13:41
Hi,

my Williams is starting to feel a bit woolly round the bends, so im looking to change the suspension soon. Im looking for something a bit firmer than standard, but not crashy. I had Bilsteins on my Tipo, and they were awesome. The 205 had Gaz coilovers, and they were awful.

Just wondered what people are running? Maybe even genuine standard shocks all round would be a vast improvement, sure they'll be expensive though!

Chris.

northy
23-04-2008, 14:14
for me i would renew the following - ive done it on my 3 and its so much better than it has ever been in my ownership

New steering column (or weld your own up)
New springs and shocks,
New steer tie arms and trackrod ends.....this mod alone is what transformed my car!

eggsbenedict
23-04-2008, 15:16
i do have play in my steering, which i am going to weld up, and also replace my track rod ends.

Steer tie arms? Not sure what you mean by this, lots of people have differant descriptions for parts!

What shocks and springs did you fit?

MAXIBOY
23-04-2008, 18:10
the steering rack arms as well as the track rods

think most go standard or use cup springs...

i run ledas on mine and love them

but with the clio stuff the cheap kits seem to worse than standard stuff and you need to spend go money to see an improvement...

leda bilstein h+R etc...

eggsbenedict
30-04-2008, 11:52
Im guessing 172 cup springs? Think im going for these, and new shocks, as long as they are still available!

MAXIBOY
30-04-2008, 18:16
yes they are

J o n
30-04-2008, 19:49
I like the stock setup best on the Williams. Might not be the fastest point to point, but all round it's perfect imho

16v_paddy
30-04-2008, 20:08
On my valver I've got standard front shocks on 30mm eibach springs and cup shocks on the rear :D
Plus the usual new track rods & wishbones etc

Brilliant for some lift off arse out action on the bendy stuff :P

hill_power_clio
30-04-2008, 20:18
shame you can't drive paddy!

richy
30-04-2008, 20:19
depends what you want to use the car for, just backroad etc then new std williams set up is great, but if on track alot then its not!

Nickysteveo
12-09-2008, 13:37
Does anyone know where I can get standard springs at a decent price?

Wobba
12-09-2008, 14:01
Does anyone know where I can get standard springs at a decent price?

Try eurocarparts.com or GSF.

white16valver
12-09-2008, 14:15
Just get some secondhand ones off someone on Cliosport upgrading their 172 suspension :)

I vote for a refresh of shocks, springs, top mounts, all bushes, rack, tie arms, column...

Awesome when done :D

J o n
12-09-2008, 16:47
only other option is coilovers... but imo you'll have to spend silly money if you want the best of both worlds. Single tube dampers tend to be only good at one thing, road or track, the cheaper one's offer a compromise, but it's rarely good at either.

I'd just go into Renault and renew the lot. Expensive but you wont regret it if you like the standard ride, you'll struggle to better it.

Mark One
12-09-2008, 18:51
sorry for the minor hijack.

In a few months, I'll be in the market for a williams suspension setup and coilovers.

I want a setup with minimal body roll and a firm-ish ride that will be acceptable on the road.

2 Questions, Which set of coilovers would you have if money was no object
Which would you have if you were buying coilovers with your own money?

MAXIBOY
13-09-2008, 19:33
money no object proflex at the corners or ohlins

my money i went for ledas...without remote reservoirs for road use with them for track use..

my own runs ledas stanard bushes and anti roll bars

J o n
14-09-2008, 12:04
Money no object then it would be a twin tube damper with independent rear coilovers personally. Best of both worlds and literally no compromise for track and road as the degree of control and changes you can have it softer than standard to super stiff.