PDA

View Full Version : lightweight boot

speed
16-04-2008, 20:26
does anyone know the diffrence in weight between a bare metal boot to a fibergrass en,

i was thinking, metal boot, remove, lock/wiper/gas struts, cut the metal out of inside and pin it, will have pollycarb too,

is it worth spending money to save a few grams? or is it kgs and worth every penny

disscus/

stevie_b
16-04-2008, 21:06
I would say it is probably not worth the bother. I haven't cut the inner skin out of my metal one (so there is still weight to be saved with no cost with a grinder :lol: ) but still the difference compared to my fibreglass tailgate is not massive. I can weigh them both at the weekend to give actual figures.

MAXIBOY
16-04-2008, 22:28
yes please would be good..

stan
16-04-2008, 22:43
the glass is the heaviest part.

a single skin GRP item is considerably lighter than a steel one though...

evouk
17-04-2008, 07:57
i have put a new boot lid on my track car, metal one is really light so did not bother with a fibreglass one, no need. i have used a polycarb rear screen though.....

stevie_b
20-04-2008, 21:00
Weighed them today. My fibreglass tailgate is 4kg and the original is 9kg, so a decent 5kg saving. That's both weighed without glass/poly but original metal tailgate still has all its fixings, lock and tailgate strip/badges and inner skin, so you could knock that down a good kg or two by ditching the strip and getting the angle grinder out, whereas the fibreglass one is just the bare skin and still needs some method of mounting it added.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j299/2stis/tailgates.jpg

speed
20-04-2008, 21:17
thanks for the info fella, 5k mmmm i think i will get the grinder out for now spend the money on stopping :D