PDA

View Full Version : Static IP's

Rudders16v
14-06-2005, 09:56
i always access the net from work, but have just found out that im going to be getting a Static IP? What does this mean? Does it mean i'll be easier to trace as to who's accessing where on the net? There's about 1000 people in my office so never bothered about being caught before, and always delete history etc, but not sure what this means....... maybe someone could explain in simple terms for me?

neme
14-06-2005, 13:22
when you switch your computer on your network card asks for an ip address and as its an office/work place, a dhcp server on your works network will give you one . Normally you will keep that addy for 8 days but the duration can be changed , but either way when it has expired it does the same thing again and asks for another one .( its possible to be given the same address again ) That is whats called a dynamic ip address .

A static ip means you will always have the same address . You will be given an IP and it will be yours , it will never run out or change , unless someone (administrator) changes it . It does make client activites easier to monitor , what files they are accessing , where , when and what your doing to them, although it is still possible to do that with a dynamic ip address it just makes it quicker to see exactly what someone has been up too .

This stuff is my bread and butter so anyone has any other qestions problems just ask and i will try and help ya out .

steve.

KingStromba
14-06-2005, 13:25
Does the bread and butter come with jam?

If so put me down

neme
14-06-2005, 13:28
sure does mate .

KingStromba
14-06-2005, 13:28
:P

Rudders16v
14-06-2005, 16:17
bugger........ i always knew they could monitor if necessary but its hard for them to track down whos been doing what, this is obvioulsy going to make it easier for them to catch people!

My days on forums could be numbered!

Cheers for the advice and for keeping it in simple terms so i could understand it!

Enid
14-06-2005, 16:25
Do you think they would be bothered about you looking at a car forum? I bet there are lots more people looking a dodgier things than car forums.

Rudders16v
14-06-2005, 16:34
Yep they would, i've had a final written warning once before!!

Enid
14-06-2005, 19:18
Even in your lunch break?

WeZ01y
14-06-2005, 21:28
Lol yea same ere as well if anyone needs any help just e-miter me. whunter@dabs.com :)

FlamingMonkey
15-06-2005, 09:12
hehe you work at Dabs Wez?