PDA

View Full Version : COILOVERS FOR TRACK USE ONLY

evouk
29-02-2008, 22:04
I am looking into swapping the de carbon race shocks for a set of adjustable coilvers and want to be able to ease off the damping for wet track days.

Looking ta AVO, GAZ, any other places ell resonably priced kits?

Spring rates i am looking ta are 250lbs

105epwr
29-02-2008, 23:11
Hi,whats wrong with the de-carbon legs im doing a trackday this sunday in my clio for the 1st time it runs de-carbon front legs???cheers

MAXIBOY
01-03-2008, 00:25
for track days only in my opinion your wasting your time with cheap kits. avo,s gaz ect as not up to the job.

you need proper kit such as bilstein proflex leda,s etc to get any sort of gain over the de carbon stuff.

105epwr
01-03-2008, 11:02
So the de-carbon are the daddies?didnt they run these on the cup car?

matty w
01-03-2008, 12:04
was going to say surely that would be a downgrade

evouk
01-03-2008, 16:44
the de carbon shocks are made by renault, ther enot height or damper or camber adjustable so fancy a fully adjustable kit. Rock hard is not good for a wet track day!!!

MAXIBOY
01-03-2008, 17:09
i agree i just think the cheaper kits while not be up too much on a track car.

i think a 600 odd budget is required and looking into leda,s bilstein etc even if you can,t run too proflex..

or shop around and get some seconhand and have them serviced

MicKPM
02-03-2008, 10:39
Yeah cheaper CO kits don't seem to retain there adjustable-ness (if that's a real word) for long. Just look at the LEDA kit that James had on his Clio RS in PFC. They siezed, leaked and weren't cheap either... CO's are great in theory to but a proper setup will need constant servicing not to mention properly setting up/playing with spring rates to use them effectively. I'd seriously say you'd be better off looking for something decent 2nd hand from Touringcarspares.com or one of the racecar parts sites or using a top end Koni Yellow adjustable damper setup.

I'd have thought a softer spring on the decarbons would be fine in the wet. Can't you get anything for them?

matty w
02-03-2008, 12:47
the h&r coilovers i had on my 1.7.2 where brilliant build quality but there not adjustable

evouk
04-03-2008, 10:48
Does anyone know what the difference is with the 1.816v coil over kits and the williams kits?

Is it just that the williams uses the widetrack?

stevie_b
04-03-2008, 17:07
Effectively, yes. So if you use the struts on the wrong type of car you will be running the wrong camber. I think you can make the strut holes larger to cater for this, but would then need the car setup to know that the result was correct.

MAXIBOY
04-03-2008, 19:28
as above...can slot the holes on the fronts to allow for adjustment which would be ideal for a track car..