PDA

View Full Version : dump valve

jamesy
11-02-2008, 14:04
when idling my dump valve leaks,is this normal?as i only ask as i have a friend with a fiat coupe turbo and his doesnt.
bit of a daft question i know.

titcharoony
11-02-2008, 14:32
shudnt do as theres no boost? Check the diaphram on it, and its all tight against hoses etc

Rich
11-02-2008, 15:25
no its not normal, DV probably wants a service or there is a split hose somewhere

Scougar
11-02-2008, 16:42
Actually it depends on the valve. You will find that some factory dump valves have holes in them to make boost less harsh, whilst most aftermarket items do not.

It could be a weak spring/not set high enough/not good enought seal/screwed diaphragm.

Incidently, are you going for pigeon (air back through blades) or full dump?

Matthew

jamesy
11-02-2008, 18:03
ah i seemthis would effct performanc then!not that it matters at the moment as its dead,lol,um as to the pigieon thing i ahvnt a clue mate all i know is its a simple off the shelf baily dump valve,am going to swap it to the one on my mates coupe and see what happens .

kj16v
11-02-2008, 18:58
Depends on what you mean by 'leaks'. At idle most DV are pulled open by the high vacuum in the inlet manifold and air is drawn in through the DV instead of going the air filter.

Normal DV's like this don't work properly on cars with mass airflow sensors (Clios don't have MAFs), so they have to use a type of DV that is specially dsesigned only to open when you want them to, i.e. when dumping.