PDA

View Full Version : manifold question....

Top Cat
06-02-2008, 15:56
hi,

sorry if this has been asked before but couldn't find any info....

does a williams manifold bolt strait to a 16valver engine? and if so is it worth doing? and would you need the down pipe too?

thanks

TC

stevie_b
06-02-2008, 16:39
Yes, it bolts straight to a 16v engine. And yes, you would need the downpipe too.

Hard to say whether it is worth doing. Is it a standard valver lump? The valver lumps are a bit low on torque and the original manifold was designed to maximise torque. The Williams manifold should give better top end power, but I expect you'll lose some torque low down.

Top Cat
06-02-2008, 16:58
thanks stevie,

it is a standard engine thats just been re built with a bluprinted head. It has a cat back system and filter, wanted something that looked a bit better than the valver one too but don't have alot of cash to do it

seen a few manifolds for sale but down pipes seem a bit rare

TC

drsmith1979
06-02-2008, 19:15
yeah downpipes are the rare parts these days! its mental! haha

get some made up if you know a friend who does metal work, you will be a rich man!

stevie_b
06-02-2008, 21:14
wanted something that looked a bit better

Yeah, know what you mean. They definitely look more the part!

I've heard the downpipes are hard to obtain. Not sure where they all go without their manifolds?!?! I've managed to source the pair though after I found a downpipe in a garage when I went to buy an F7R.

Top Cat
07-02-2008, 01:34
yeah downpipes are the rare parts these days! its mental! haha

get some made up if you know a friend who does metal work, you will be a rich man!

or woman even :wink: brother works in a steel works so may have a chat

TC

davem
07-02-2008, 19:10
You will lose low end torque if using a williams manifold.
Something that on a 16 valve you dont really want to be doing.
As for looks, you could always clean up your existing manifold and repaint it with heat proof paint. If its just looks your after thats the cheapest method.
I am in the process myself of building a manifold for my valver,(4-2-1)
which once perfected may be copied and made up to order in stainless or mild steel by a fabricator friend of mine.
However i have just noticed your username!
And knowing who rebuilt your motor you might be better off saving the money for a new one!
Anyways hi!

BGHayabusa
08-02-2008, 11:56
does a megane(2.0 16v) manifold&downpipe bolt strait to a 16valver engine?

titcharoony
08-02-2008, 12:05
does barry manifold bolt straight to a 16v?

Laine_16v
08-02-2008, 12:06
does a megane(2.0 16v) manifold&downpipe bolt strait to a 16valver engine?

Nope but it will with some modification, theres a williams and a hybrid (Bish) on here that have done this. Personally i dont think theres going to be much gain over a williams manifold.

MicKPM
08-02-2008, 13:42
I've used the Megane item as my engine came from a Megane so I naturally assumed it would be perfect but it wasn't. After I added the ITB's and blocked the EGR flow port the car developed a serious flat spot in the torque curve around 4k... took me ages to find out it was actually the manifold causing it. Nick Hill recomended the F7P setup to me and he was right cos it cured the flat spot and bought on the torque earlier to (which was nice)[i].

I've not tried the Williams 4-1 setup but from what I've personally seen I believe the F7P setup to be the best "bolt on" option available with the exception of the supersprint units... finding these 2nd hand can be a bit of a mixed bag though.

I had my F7P setup "Toughbrite" treated which is an oil based anti-corrosion process used on industrial pipework for chillers and steam cooling towers which is good for temps of IOA 2KoC...

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/MicKPM/BTCC%2019/th_DSC00006.jpg (http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/MicKPM/BTCC%2019/DSC00006.jpg)

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/MicKPM/BTCC%2019/th_DSC00004.jpg (http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/MicKPM/BTCC%2019/DSC00004.jpg)

... It's really cheap to get done [i](about £15 if you allow for a blasting session before to get rid of the crusty bits) and the final matt black finish not only makes the bay look so much better it will last unlike some of the "VHT" paints you can buy for the same money from Halfords.

Mick

Top Cat
11-02-2008, 15:11
Hi

thanks for all the help and advice, sounds like i'm better saving to do the job properly rather than a quick fix

TC