PDA

View Full Version : Performance Chip help

jamie
06-02-2008, 12:40
Right im currently in the process of purchasing some bits for when my car goes into the garage for some work.

On ebay I have seen two different chips for the williams the gunner chip and another one for about 30 quid.

Now my question is the following....Is it worth me getting one of these chips? My williams only has a K&N air filter and a full exhaust soon with a de-cat pipe. Im not planning anything else performance wise as I really do take care of my car. To me my money gets spent maintaining the car as its a classic, but if it is beneficial to get one im in and for that sort of money sounds good.

So is it worth me getting one and what are the positives and negatives etc?

Cheers all

Jamie

number1
06-02-2008, 17:59
main improvement for me when i fitted the gunner chip was i wasnt hitting the limiter every 2 seconds lol only problem with the gunnerchip which isnt really a problem is you need to run it on higher octane fuel 97 and up anything lower and mine was detonating

AndyFielder
06-02-2008, 18:19
if someone sends me a standard chip i may/should be able to up the limiter without changing anything else.

Andy

drsmith1979
06-02-2008, 19:12
get a gunner chip,

tested and proven on here by a myriad of members. I have a guide to how me and a friend fitted mine in the members section.

Raises Rev limiter, punchier in the rev range, and makes the car more drivable.... not a million miles of difference but its enough and for me the best cheap mod available.

Negatives - mapped to high octane fuel.... but it will return good MPG once run in properlly.

AndyFielder
06-02-2008, 19:34
"but it will return good MPG once run in properlly." what the hell is that on about?!

drsmith1979
06-02-2008, 22:05
the chip gives the ECU a new set of values on which to base its 'map' and thus fueling. It bases these on figures from previous driving. when you change the chip (thus resetting the ecu) it has no figures to use from the cars running sensors and so needs to settle in and get some values from the car itself (thinking on the fly etc..) Hence why you have to reset ECU's on Evo's and other cars so the ecu can 're-learn' how to run most efficiently within its new parameters....

Hence, once the car has been run for a week or 2 the mpg will invariably settle and will return good figures dependent on usage etc...

My Gunner'd willy 3 was a prime example.

jamie
08-02-2008, 09:46
Is it possible to use normal fuel with this chip?

titcharoony
08-02-2008, 11:04
yes - but going off previous personal rants - high octane fuel is a must - ironically, because it'll cost u less.lol. I was moaning before that my car (after putting gunnerchip in) had lost quite a bit of mileage off a full tank. Everyone was saying its ur right foot etc etc...when i knew it wasnt.
Popped a good tank of a v power in, made the world of difference, seemed to be running better and my good mileage was returned. wasnt my imagination, there was a hell of a drop before. So, yes you can run on normal, but from me? Not advised.

Laine_16v
08-02-2008, 11:38
Ive run my car on norhting but 95RON with my gunnerchip.

It was RR'ed last week on 95RON and made 131ATW (lower than other hybrids). Would this be part of the reason?

I dont think its detonating tho lol?

stan
08-02-2008, 12:21
im sure nick would have said if it was detting.

the chip coulg cause you to loose power, the only way to check is compare to std...

Laine_16v
08-02-2008, 13:11
Surely it wouldnt be detting, because thats what the det sensor screwed into the manifold is for?

So it would instead retard the ignition to stop it detting and therefore lose me some power?

jamie
08-02-2008, 14:54
So do I get a chip guys? Im still on the fence....

drsmith1979
09-02-2008, 05:19
do it, will make a nice improvement and its dirt cheap!

titcharoony
09-02-2008, 10:58
yes, get one - buy a chip carrier, get ur solderer to solder the chip carrier in first, then you can always pop your old chip back in if ur not happy.

jamie
09-02-2008, 12:04
I wont be doing the work ill get my local garage to do it but what do I need? A carrier and the actual chip then?

MAXIBOY
09-02-2008, 12:20
local garage won,t do it need an tv repair place or an electronics repair place.

drsmith1979
10-02-2008, 19:44
someone on here does it but you have to mail your ECU to them. If you buy a chip from gunner, it comes with a chip carrier.... check out my guide in the guides section, shows you whats involved.

Rob72
10-02-2008, 19:56
fitted my chipped ecu today...(gunner chip)

drives fine , only problem is that engine idle at 2000 rpm.
hmmm...???

drsmith1979
11-02-2008, 04:12
lol that wont be the ecu, it will be how its reading some of your sensors. the previous settings may have adapted to mask a faulty sender, check the earths, iscv, lambda, cts etc.....