PDA

View Full Version : Megan Rocker Cover on Williams Head leaks badly

rSpider
06-01-2008, 02:08
Been running this setup fine for years but problem is the rocker cover isn't sealing properly and leaks alot of oil into the plug galleries. I believe this is a known problem with this kinda setup. Anyone have any ideas on the best way to fix it?

I believe the reason my setup is running the megan rocker cover is to use the built in coils so that with the cam sensor installed it allows the standard ecu to run sequention injection.

MAXIBOY
06-01-2008, 02:31
williams and megane heads are different mate thats why it leaks they can,t be swapped.
what car is it in. if a willy are you running throttle bodies or standard injection and an aftermarket management system. can,t see why you would want to run coil packs on an otherwise standard willy or even how they would run if using a willy ecu.
more details and maybe pics would help.

but willy/megane rocker covers are different so will leak oil into plug wells and cause a mis fire

rSpider
06-01-2008, 02:41
lol... should have mentioned it's in a spider but you guys seem to know these engines well so hence my post on this forum. Got a great deal on a williams race engine a while ago and fitted it in the spider. It's not that wild as the race series don't alow t/b or wild mods etc...

Am currently running off the standard ecu which isn't ideal but now have a DTA ready to be wired, still hoping to use the current sequential ignitian setup.

MAXIBOY
06-01-2008, 02:48
i under stand the clio packs etc now. will they fit in a clio rocker cover because as started there are slight difference,s in the heads which will allow the megane rocker cover to leak.
i would try to fit the coil packs in a clio rocker cover if at all possible

rSpider
06-01-2008, 02:56
I think if it was easily done then the guy would probably have done that durring the install as I have both rocker covers... Could be it was just too difficult to do rather than impossible though. I will have a look and compare them...

By the way, if I'm going to radically rebuild the engine and run it off a DTA ecu. Are the megan coils up to running high performance spec?

MAXIBOY
06-01-2008, 03:10
not sure as never used them as its better in clios to do away with them. i would think so as there never under to much pressure.
stan on here does lots with this i,m sure he will be along soon.

i,m running standard type leads and plugs as there cheaper and perform fine.

matty w
06-01-2008, 21:14
just weld where it leaks grind it smooth and then will seal with the bigger surface area

rSpider
06-01-2008, 21:36
well I had a careful look at both heads and both rocker covers today and took to them both with a set of calipers and a spare williams gasket and f**k me if they don't seem identical with regard to rocker cover fitment. No idea where I should weld cos it leaks on the inside into the plug wells it's not obvious where the leak is.

Probably another silly question but is the top part of the head... the bit that holds the cams down interchangeable betweent the 2 heads.

Lunner
06-01-2008, 21:42
Try smearing copper grease over all the mating surfaces on the head and then put rocker cover on and tighten, and see where its not contacting

rSpider
06-01-2008, 21:44
oh yes... couldn't think what to use. Perfect! Will give it a try thanks.

MAXIBOY
06-01-2008, 21:56
the cams carriers are matched pairs and should not be swapped between heads

rSpider
06-01-2008, 22:07
ok not an option then... Will copper grease it up to find the leak and get it welded and machined before the engine rebuild.

Crossers
08-01-2008, 19:38
Simple, just use silicone sealant instead! That way it'll seal any imperfections.

Paul

summeh
08-01-2008, 20:26
aye instant gasket always works a treat for me.