PDA

View Full Version : BHP..

1995clio16v
21-12-2007, 19:42
I do need to go and get my 16v rolling roaded really.

I have an induction kit and a mongoose straight through system (cat replacement)

If the car is running at 137bhp, as standard, would i be lucky for it to be 145bhp with those to minor mods...??

Cheers.

:D

drsmith1979
21-12-2007, 20:06
i reckon maybe 140-142bhp if you are lucky, all depends on the state of the original engine and the accuracy of the rolling road you are using

1995clio16v
21-12-2007, 20:19
^^^^

really that low? So all these figures of 15bhp for an exhaust is bull shit?

I always imagined these crazy gains given for inductions are a lie, like 8bhp!!

It seems to me induction kits are just for noise. :o

The engine is real strong, full service history, 1 previous owner to me for 10years! I suppose that doesnt mean the engine will be in good condition.

Cheers.

drsmith1979
21-12-2007, 21:13
well you saw the topgear where they bought old super cars, most had lost nearly 50% of their original bhp lol, although there are a few freaks on here who have standard valvers pushing out crazy standard power, so maybe renault under estimated the standard bhp?

yeah most of the bhp claims are pure sales tactics, makes the car more drivable, but not necessarily with anymore bhp but they will help.

just take your rolling road with a pinch of salt, its not abotu figures, its about usable real world power.

Bailey_1260
21-12-2007, 21:23
Plus remember the sales figure is an ATF figure whereas a RR will state the ATW figure and reverse calculating can be a bit dodgy.

Mr.AdamB
21-12-2007, 22:08
yeah IKs are for noise unless best thing u can do it keep the standard airbox with a decent filter and airfeed. or skuttle induction take a feed from the skuttle panel.

with an exhaust and IK , and a decat my 1st 16v made 137 atf which is standard.
2nd 16v made 149 atf with the same mods bar the IK it had airbox on it.

cooper
21-12-2007, 22:46

I have an induction kit and a mongoose straight through system (cat replacement)

If the car is running at 137bhp, as standard, would i be lucky for it to be 145bhp with those to minor mods...??

Cheers.

Wats ur rating on the mongoose system mate, coz after crimbo i'm going to be going for the mongoose full system with decat and was wondering wat it's like, i.e fitting, noise output, power etc, etc..

drsmith1979
21-12-2007, 23:17
i have one, can take a bit of imagination to get fitted 100% without rattling etc..... but the noise and performance is great! but be warned, with the decat on it can get a little noisey at certain rpm! haha

if you go to a good garage they will get it fitted perfectly. Mongoose used to fit their exhausts, now they simply manufacture them on a large scale. had a few issues with the one i fitted on my Evo, but once sorted it was superb! best all rounder for me.

richy
21-12-2007, 23:20
i have one, can take a bit of imagination to get fitted 100% without rattling etc..... but the noise and performance is great! but be warned, with the decat on it can get a little noisey at certain rpm! haha

if you go to a good garage they will get it fitted perfectly. Mongoose used to fit their exhausts, now they simply manufacture them on a large scale. had a few issues with the one i fitted on my Evo, but once sorted it was superb! best all rounder for me.

theres 2 options for buying there syetms with or without decat, is the decat a seperate thing or is it apart of the centre section?

i think i will be buying one after xmas etc :D

drsmith1979
21-12-2007, 23:48
its a seperate decat, i think the one on mine is a universal one as it can spin round and is adjustable in length. all de-cats are seperate so you can change for a cat MOT time

number1
21-12-2007, 23:54
I was pushing a bug eye scooby earlier up the road, was having to lift off to avoid driving into the back of him all the way to 120 i could have passed him easily if he had moved over,

Thats proof to me my cars engine is pretty strong!! and its definatley up on 137bhp lol

Dave

cooper
21-12-2007, 23:58

fittings not a problem ,ate as i work in a garage so that can be sorted easy enough, i was just wondering wat ppls opinions are on them coz i'v also herd alot about magnex but was told that mongoose are better for performance.

richy
22-12-2007, 00:14
its a seperate decat, i think the one on mine is a universal one as it can spin round and is adjustable in length. all de-cats are seperate so you can change for a cat MOT time

tbh i thought it would be anyway, but was told the mongoose system with decat isnt seperate! most are seperate like, but i have seen a few systems which are not, non clio though!

drsmith1979
22-12-2007, 00:45
maybe it is then? wouldnt make sense on a car that needs a cat for mot though lol

on my evo we had to heat and bend the downpipe a little, and relocate one of the securing brackets on the downpipe. on the clio, it needed some help with zip ties to make it super solid, once done its solid as a rock, mongoose from my experience is best for performance on a host of cars.

richy
22-12-2007, 01:06
tbh its not gonna matter in a few month as the car shouyld be sorned and towed to track, will look into ordering one after xmas!

1995clio16v
22-12-2007, 14:37

Cheers.

Wats ur rating on the mongoose system mate, coz after crimbo i'm going to be going for the mongoose full system with decat and was wondering wat it's like, i.e fitting, noise output, power etc, etc..

Me personally, love it.

But if im brutally honest they fit not very good. They bang all over. Can and will be sorted though! Think mine is banging on the rear beam and rattling on some heat shield or something up near the manifold end. I need to get it sorted but too lazy!

But....performance and sound wise awesome! Ive got 3.5 inch rolled in version.

Theyre ok up to 3000rpm just tootling but as soon as you boot it they roar.

I dont think theyre too loud really, maybe when your doing continuous 70mph i.e motorway etc but doesnt bother me.

I was astonished at the extra torque above 3000rpm when had it fitted, i didnt realise too how much a cat starngled your car. However the feeling of extra power only lasted a couple of weeks then I was used to it!! :evil:

Definately recommend though.

Sound great on tick over

:o

1995clio16v
22-12-2007, 14:39
I was pushing a bug eye scooby earlier up the road, was having to lift off to avoid driving into the back of him all the way to 120

Dave

I need and want a hybrid!

Thats awesome mate. I read a few peoples comments on their hybrids lately.

drsmith1979
22-12-2007, 14:47
scoobies, unless they are sti's are meet and drink. They all think that just because its got 250bhp and 4x4 and the hallowed 'turbo' they are unbeatable! haha... they seem to forget power to weight ratio's, transmission losses with it being 4x4 etc...

Theres a great 'Private road' near my house, 2 lane, you get scoobies all the time, m3's aston martins, masserati's etc... its always fun having a play... not met a wrx that can pull away regardless of reg. Sti's are different, they hold their own but dont pull away.... the 2.0 willy set up is great for embarassing people! Subaru chav faces when a little clio pulls away from them when they are ragging the shit out of it is simply priceless!

drsmith1979
22-12-2007, 14:48
the only thing that cained me in the mid-upper range was a vectra VXR.. haha.... well it is fast as fook in a straight line! M5 pace

1995clio16v
22-12-2007, 14:50
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You saying even clio 16v's would give scooby's a run for their money on B roads??

Obviously using a good driver!!

drsmith1979
22-12-2007, 14:54
I'd say a good condition valver would give a wrx some trouble, expecially through the twisties, the bhp between a valver and a willy isnt that big standard wise, with the valvers greater low range torque i think its a good bet you would give it some hassle. WRX's are not fast, nippy aye but fast? no where near. My Evo would piss on STI's let alone WRX's, they simply arent all that.

if you want a cheap fast as fook car, look at a subaru legacy... twin turbo beast! STI pace and enough room for all your kids and shopping!

finlay
20-01-2008, 10:37
hello there

my old valver made 151bhp @ fly with only induction kit, decated straight through exhaust and remap
after i had the head replaced with a prima fully worked head and i fitted a set of kent fast road cams it made 167bhp @ fly after remap

theres a video on here titled "my old valver" on the RR http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19963

cheers

Finlay

Laine_16v
21-01-2008, 11:41
If you want your car rolling roaded, pop along to the C16v rolling road day on the 2nd feb (2 weeks), at Hill Power.

titcharoony
21-01-2008, 12:05
i live like, 2 miles from hillpower - shud really pop over lol

J o n
21-01-2008, 12:49
I dont think a Williams in most states of tune will see off any shape of STI, certainly not a classic shape Scoob anyway, I'd bet money on a genuine STI pulling from pretty much anything but a throttle bodied or cammed and seriously stripped 2.0.

Before I took the throttle bodies off mine it was level pegging my mates 300bhp classic from a roll, that's with a genuine 220bhp/ton.

For modding a valver I'd just throw a 2.0 in, probably a 1*2 engine because they are newer and the ancillary parts seem much more reliable.

stevie_b
21-01-2008, 13:47
I'd bet money on a genuine STI pulling from pretty much anything but a throttle bodied or cammed and seriously stripped 2.0.

I wouldn't bet against you there. I've checked the downloads from my data logger that I have run in quite a few cars over the years and a standard GC8 STI hits 80 mph and is 140 feet further down the road by the time my Clio hits 60 mph! Some more power and less weight on the Clio side will narrow this gap but I can't see it ever nailing a 4.8 sec 0-60, even after my project is complete with hopefully around 250bhp/tonne. I will run the logger in the project car again when it is finished and post up the results - will be interesting to see how the acceleration graph changes compared to how it started in standard form :lol:

J o n
21-01-2008, 13:59
0-60 is always going to be no chance, but from a move is where the Clio can have a chance... just not against a proper STI. Imo anyway, I struggled enough against my mates 270bhp Classic with cams, zorst, decat, filter and no back seats and a 24k engine that was one of the quicker ones. Interestingly a genuine STI would handily pull from him, even with only 10bhp more, but I guess the gearing, bigger turbo etc plays a part.

seanofnp
21-01-2008, 19:04
Classic STi vs my Hybrid, it pulled 2 car lengths upto 110 on me.

I dont lie, i wouldnt lie, it was an STi as i spoke to him after. I have witnesses also :D

It all depends on each car i presume.

J o n
22-01-2008, 10:12
Newer shape STI I could believe, if your car is heavily stripped, but a classic I'd never believe in a million years, they are a different league.

drsmith1979
22-01-2008, 13:59
yeah the sti's can be quick, however, we were referring to the standard WRX's which lets face it, are slow in standard tune.

J o n
22-01-2008, 14:26
yup, WRX's (well, non classics as they are 240/260/280) are gash, but you'd still need a modded 2.0 to even stand a chance of beating one imo. Most hybrids are modded, even if just breathing mods and it does make a considerable difference over standard. Most on here are well well stripped too, so again, not too hard to believe some of the stories really. Classic STI's are very very quick though, over 220bhp/ton, short geared and huge torque, you need to lose a lot of weight or run some serious power.

1995clio16v
25-01-2008, 10:29
[quote="but a classic I'd never believe in a million years, they are a different league.[/quote]

When you say classic are you all referring to the 'ORIGINAL' subaru?

P Reg Era?

J o n
25-01-2008, 11:55
yup, basically anything upto MY00 is a classic Scooby. The original Colin McRae and Richard Burns ones. They weigh a good 200+kg's less than the newer ones, hence why they would piss all over any Clio but for seriously modded and or stripped ones.

stevie_b
25-01-2008, 12:06
When you say classic are you all referring to the 'ORIGINAL' subaru?

P Reg Era?

I think he is. The official model code is GC8. They made them that shape all the way up to the year 2000. They look like this:

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j299/2stis/wrxra.jpg

1995clio16v
25-01-2008, 15:33
An ex colleague and mate of mine used to have a P1 in the classic shape until it got (conveniently) nicked. :roll:

That was quick.

They just look so dated now though. Especially the total bog standard turbo's with gold wheels and a spolier the size of an evo one. Particularly red. I hate that combo!

Im not a fan of these cars anymore!

Only my opinion.

Subaru should of made them more exclusive imo but I suppose when demand is high (like it was for these) and they see the potential for the money to be made they just kept building and building them.

They were so quick in the younger days weren't they? For the money nothing on the road could really touch them. But im pretty sure that now, you can get something of similar performance for around the 13-15k price tag.

I do think theyre tainted with a chav-ish image now, like the nova did and maybe the clio 16v! Maybe this has ruined them.....

The pictures of the ones you have posted look a bit nicer than the early ones I see which look pooh. Im not that well up on these so dont know the phase changes between a 95 model and a 2000 model!

stevie_b
25-01-2008, 20:41
They just look so dated now though.

Guess so, to some. I'm stuck in the past though! I still think they look better than the models since. Buth then I still think the valver/Williams looks better than all the 1 7 2 / 1 8 2 / 1 9 7 Clios :lol:

Subaru should of made them more exclusive. I do think theyre tainted with a chav-ish image now

Definitely. Shame really. But like you say, if demand drives it then not many manufacturers are going to hold back the supply too much...

But im pretty sure that now, you can get something of similar performance for around the 13-15k price tag.

Do you mean new price? If so there won't be anything for less than 20 grand new today that gets close on performance.

The pictures of the ones you have posted look a bit nicer than the early ones I see which look pooh.

I think a lot of people try and modify the look, which in my opinion never looks that great afterwards. That's why I've kept mine standard. Like the Williams wouldn't look as good if you altered its original form - although most people know not to mess with that!

Mr.AdamB
26-01-2008, 10:36
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44tXs2cFBt4

my 1st 16v was 147 bhp vs a scoob up pod kept with it IMO.

scoobys are shite 8)

1995clio16v
26-01-2008, 16:22
But im pretty sure that now, you can get something of similar performance for around the 13-15k price tag.

Do you mean new price? If so there won't be anything for less than 20 grand new today that gets close on performance.[/quote]

Yeah I was probably being a bit silly with the 13-14k price tag! New I was referring to.

drsmith1979
26-01-2008, 17:01
cars like the scooby are simply a victim of their own success... they came out and were the best by miles, radically new thinking and a great package. Didn't take long for people to catch up and their edge was blunted so to speak.... but due to their rally success they became more and more popular so sold more... second hand market was strong, then imports and poorly looked after cars flooded the market and every man and his dog bought one and ragged it until it went pop. The age old problem is being able to afford to buy a high performance car, but not being able to run it and look after it properlly.

Sadly the image has been hammered and is now very 'drug dealer/Chav' and 'council estate joy ride'.... which is a shame as its a very nice car potentially.... i'd have a mint Sti in standard trim but they command top dollar still... the wrx's can be had for a packet of fags and some rizla's lol

thelynx
26-01-2008, 17:14
Against a GC8 sti ra.. You will no chance.. FULL STOP. Jap spec p1 basically, thinner glass short ratio box, closed deck block, alloys panel.. Absolute monster when tuned

stevie_b
26-01-2008, 18:24
The blue one in the pics above is an RA. With an EJ25 :lol: Tops out at ~110 mph in the end though, so most things will catch up and pass at some point :lol:

J o n
27-01-2008, 12:33
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44tXs2cFBt4

my 1st 16v was 147 bhp vs a scoob up pod kept with it IMO.

scoobys are shite 8)

are you for real? It crossed the line over a second before you and 10mph more than you... that's a panning considering his launch was poor. As for being modded, dont kid yourself, a standard one should hit low 14's all day. I bet he just had an exhaust.

Not bad for a 215bhp car that weighs 1235kg's and has 4WD permanently on and I bet he had all of his interior and exterior ;)

Daz.
27-01-2008, 13:03
I'd have an RB5 anyday - infact I'm looking at that as a potential main car next year along side the willy.