PDA

View Full Version : lightened flywheel + balanced clutch

simonr85
29-10-2007, 17:12
My mate who is doing my cambelt for me next week asked if i want my flywheel lightening and balanced and clutch balanced as he is putting me a new clutch in while the engine is out!!

Now what are the benefits of the above? and what are the cons? if any

oh and has anyone had this done? he had his done on his EK9 (flywheel now 5lb lighter) and said he could notice a difference but passengers wouldnt

summeh
29-10-2007, 21:18
What your doing is shaving off unneeded material so it takes less energy for the engine to accelerate. Less rotating mass. So you should notice a tad better acceleration.

It's worth doing.

Get it done by someone who knows what they are doing though. Last thing you want is someone shaving off to much from an important area, and the thing coming apart at 6000RPM and flying through the bulkhead.

simonr85
30-10-2007, 11:11
cheers mate :lol:

white16valver
30-10-2007, 14:02
I remember on good old Gran Turismo that putting one on was supposed to reduce the torque - is this the case?

Valvers are hardly over-endowed in the torque department in the first place lol :lol:

Lunner
30-10-2007, 14:06
Had mine done by Craig at APD (aka Stan)....got conplete crank train balanced rather than just clutch cover and flywheel