PDA

View Full Version : Hyrid vs Imprezza Turbo

alex_e3
05-09-2007, 17:21
Well it's the first race i've had with a decent speed car since i got the hybrid up and running.

On my way home doing 60 on the by-pass, and a red S reg imprezza came past quick and shot in front of me just before my turn off.

Now as soon as you pull off this by-pass, you head onto a long stretch of dual carriageway (my private runway might i add!). I thought, if he goes, i'll go - not wanting to look a tit 'n' all!

Anyhow, he went! So did i. Went up to about 100 before braking for road works into 1 lane, and to my big surprise he pulled about 3 maybe 4 car lengths on me. He had a big loug oval back box on it.

Our hybrid has standard willy engine with 16v manifold, full scorpion, and power eating green induction kit. God only knows what, if anything, he had done to his.

What's the kerb weight on these mk1 imprezzas? I expected to get a roasting, but fancied a try just to see how quick they were.

Oooooooo....... i can't wait 'till i can afford head work and cams now!

seanofnp
05-09-2007, 19:42
depends what it was and how fast your hybrid is...

my stripped out hybrid with rebuilt f7r, chipped etc, possible cams, exhaust, filter in airbox spanks wrx's for breakfast and 300bhp stis can barely pull away.

Standard WRX's are no more than 230bhp or so? UK cars are even slower. They weigh a tonne too. Best part of 1400kgs i was told.

alex_e3
05-09-2007, 20:24
My hybrid had a RR printout showing 165 AFW. However, i must ask myself the question - how accurate was the RR?!

A mate of mine bought a mint standard williams 1 off here, but haven't gone against it since i swapped the engine.

Say mine is 165, and the car weighs a ton, that's 165bhp per tonne.

On your weight figures, a 230bhp imprezza would be 164bhp per tonne. So if that had simple breathing mods, maybe it was one of those i raced?

Must admit that my hybrid felt about the same as my mates willy. However, i was sat in the passenger seat, and it had standard airbox on - induction roar always makes you feel like you're going faster!

stevie_b
05-09-2007, 22:54
They weigh a tonne too. Best part of 1400kgs i was told.

The GDs, yes, but if it was on an S-plate it was a GC8. They are 'only' 1235kg so the power-to-weight ratio is a bit better than was suggested, but I could imagine a UK car is not drastically different in certain circumstances to a tuned Williams/hybrid.

The GC8 STIs start at 220 bhp/tonne in standard form (and how many are standard?!?!), so are in a league above and you would need a seriously quick Clio to live with one.

seanofnp
06-09-2007, 02:05
The one i raced was a classic sti. Im not lying of the event stevie! It happened, i was as surprised as anyone who watched.

I am completely un-aware of the definate spec of my engine, although i know it definately is NOT slow.

stevie_b
06-09-2007, 10:51
The one i raced was a classic sti. Im not lying of the event stevie!

Where did I suggest you were lying? I don't think it would even be unlikely - I've been at plenty of events where a bog standard valver has bettered Scoobies, TVRs, Caterhams, you name it. But have a good driver in both and it would probably have been a different story. How much experience did the driver you raced have, did he have good knowledge of that circuit, etc. etc.? They all play a factor, but I agree that it feels all the better to match/beat something that by the spec sheet has an advantage over what you have - just don't expect that you'll always have the same outcome against that kind of vehicle!

alex_e3
06-09-2007, 11:28
Stevie, the race i had was just on a straight piece of road. Not much driver skill involved!

The driver was seriously not happy, i flashed my lights and even beeped my horn on the way past him when he turned off, and not a thing back off him!

Either way, i'm impressed with the little clio - as said, i expected to get my arse handed to me! Don't get me wrong, it beat me, but not by much at all - was basically on his bumper all the way.

stevie_b
06-09-2007, 12:11
A race on a road? In that case who knows what's quicker! There's been a few cases round where I live recently where two cars have been 'racing' and one has gone of the road and had a serious accident. The driver of the other car has then been done for dangerous driving as well, as it has been deemed they were 'racing' on the public highway and are as responsible for the accident as the person that actually had it! What worries me about this is that you could be minding your own business, making decent progress when some clapped out banger sees you as a challenge and pulls out all the stops to keep with you (my spoilers or something seem to attract this behaviour :lol: ). If they then have an accident I'm not even involved in it will be me that gets done too?!?! For that reason I generally back off and let the other car go off - I dare say there have been a few pub stories about how some bloke in his Focus 1.6 'did' a Type RA Scooby, but I'm not losing any sleep over it. I'm not for one moment suggesting that in this case you were doing anything dangerous or beyond YOUR ability in merely accelerating to keep pace with the Scooby - but bear in mind that if HE/SHE had thrown it off into the undergrowth somewhere it could still be you that gets charged. Anyway, not trying to lecture, but the point is that it is only actually racing someone/a type of car if it is at the race track.

alex_e3
06-09-2007, 12:32
Note first post - on private road!!! :P

Not many people on here, or other forums, don't have a go against something on the road. Why do manufacturers make these type of cars for road use, if people don't use it? Don't get me wrong, i never push it if it's not safe - as you say, it's not worth it. See some right pratts around here doing silly speeds or stupid manouvers in built up areas at times.

Although i do see your point how ridiculous the system is at times like that when you're not even involved. It's too easy now-a-days to be banged up for something ridiculous. :shock:

I was just posting on here to see what other people experiences of these cars were! :)

bill.
06-09-2007, 14:32
i've had a go against 2 new shape sti's ( well the shape after the bug eye ) both pulled on me a few car lenghs in a straight line. passed a few on silverstone in my valver, which left me thinking are they really all they are cracked up to be on a track?????????

But then again i think if i where driving a scooby theres no way a clio 16v would be passing me on a track surely?! anyway a classic shape sti may be my next choice of car, so i'm sure i'll find out what the crack is with them, surely a scooby sti would lap quicker than a williams say?

Zollo
06-09-2007, 16:15
Yes it would.

... with the same driver. :wink:

lewis_willy2
06-09-2007, 16:20
im hunting for an impreza.

maybe i'll finish the williams turbo 1st :?:

lewis

stevie_b
06-09-2007, 20:20
surely a scooby sti would lap quicker than a williams say?

As Zollo says, with the same driver, I would say yes. My wife has done a few track days with me and when she's at the wheel I know I'd have little problem keeping up that pace in a Focus, but it's not the car she is driving that is slow! At sprints my lap times are generally > 5 secs a lap quicker in the STI at circuits I know well. The difference if I've only been there once or twice is narrower - it's easier to jump in the Clio and push it on the unknown than it is in the Scooby, but then I think that could just be psychological due to the costs involved in coming off in each?!?! :lol:

Zollo
07-09-2007, 10:16
The difference if I've only been there once or twice is narrower - it's easier to jump in the Clio and push it on the unknown than it is in the Scooby, but then I think that could just be psychological due to the costs involved in coming off in each?!?! :lol:

Yup! That's exactly why Clios (and hot hatches in general) seem to do so well at track days - they're easier to get the maximum from them than higher performance cars, they're less intimidating to drive and they're much cheaper to crash. Rarely can you accurately and fairly compare different car's performances by comparisons from track days. :)