PDA

View Full Version : 306 gti-6 vs Clio Williams?

seanofnp
28-08-2007, 13:18
Right im after an inbiased opinion.

Performance wise, how do they compare?

Do you think both being stripped out, buckets, with light engine mods they would be very similarly matched? I raced one in my hybrid and beat it but he had full interior and i think he could have been quicker had he torn the car apart?

Do they handle aswell as a clio?

I know someone has recently gone from a willy to a 6 i cant remember who now but any input would be great?

simonr85
28-08-2007, 13:31
Right im after an inbiased opinion.

Performance wise, how do they compare?

Do you think both being stripped out, buckets, with light engine mods they would be very similarly matched? I raced one in my hybrid and beat it but he had full interior and i think he could have been quicker had he torn the car apart?

Do they handle aswell as a clio?

I know someone has recently gone from a willy to a 6 i cant remember who now but any input would be great?

I think Zollo has gone from a willy to a 6, may be wrong. i started a thread on gti6.com about which was faster (when i was after a 6) and they said will be similar

Swervin_Mervin
28-08-2007, 14:00
They will be quite similar. Not sure when stripped though. I imagine there's a lot more weight can come out of a 306 more easily. I'd guess, and it is a guess, that similar levels of strippage would possibly see a 306 with a higher pwr than a willy.

Much nicer engine in the 306 imho. Similar delivery all the way up the power band but revs to 7500.

seanofnp
28-08-2007, 14:12
They seem to be really cheap and just look a bit fresher, my car life started with peugeots, had my 206 been a gti id have kept it.

I like the fact it has a/c too, i like a bit of comfort!

stevie_b
28-08-2007, 14:21
When I was hillclimbing/sprinting there was a GTI6 in my class that used to turn up to most of the more Southern events (Goodwood, etc.). We used to trade tenths either way depending on the venue so I'd say they are fairly similar performance wise, but not having driven one it's hard to be sure when they had different pilots!

stevie_b
28-08-2007, 14:22
Sorry, that was in a valver, so I would guess a Willy would have a slight advantage.

Zollo
28-08-2007, 14:32
Yeah, it was me. Actually went from a 6 to a Willy to another Willy and back to a 6 again. :P

As everyone's said, they'll be very similar. The only comparison I can give is a speed test I do on a local (private!) road. Standard Willy got up to 118; GTi6 with decat and cat-back zorst managed 122; semi-stripped Willy with panel filter, chip, decat and cat-back 125. That's from memory, but gives you a basic idea. As Mervin said - there's a lot more to come out of a 306 so the potential weight saving is bigger. But if you want to keep the air-con in??

Handling - the Williams is stiffer and more nimble - so is better suited to track work as standard - but the 306 rides better and is (IMO) more fun because it will oversteer to any desired angle and doesn't do understeer at all, so you have more options.

I'm actually running mine as a project car for Performance French Cars mag. The first report is in this month's issue...

Hope that helps. :)

VIPERONE
28-08-2007, 14:38
ive had the pleasure of a duel with one.

ONce silly speeds come up.. it will pass you.

below 60 they were no match for my hybrid

Swervin_Mervin
28-08-2007, 18:13
ONce silly speeds come up.. it will pass you.

Word. :lol:

Swervin_Mervin
28-08-2007, 18:15
below 60 they were no match for my hybrid

Word again. Not sure on the 6speed 306s but the mrs Xsara with the 5speed is fantastic in 3rd gear over about 50.

white16valver
28-08-2007, 18:18
Tricky with the lift off oversteer as legend has it - not driven one though so can't be sure! :)

number1
28-08-2007, 19:01
played with a few in the old valver nothing in it, even up to 125
The Hybrid left one for dead on way back from fcs

Dave