PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Actuators

Coops
03-08-2007, 22:33
Can i use any old turbo actuator thats rated to the PSi i want to run? is it only the bracket it mounts to that varies?

for example i've found an uprated HKS skyline actuator on ebay, it looks like i could unbolt it from its skyline mounting plate n slap it on mine?

cheers

Coops

drsmith1979
04-08-2007, 10:04
normally its the length of the actuator rod and its angle/shape that can dictate its application, as far as i am aware the actual mechanics of the thing are the same across the board. You may find that some will be better than others dependant on the angle it was designed to be used at and the length of the rod.

stan
06-08-2007, 14:15
spring rate is used to control boost cut off. Why not just plumb in a bleed-valve?

MAXIBOY
06-08-2007, 14:39
I agree with in car adjustment.

Coops
06-08-2007, 17:47
was thinkin about that tbh, is it simple as just any old gas bleed valve (we use some at work i could 'liberate') and a few bits of pipe?

titcharoony
06-08-2007, 20:54
ill have to disagree with former posts. if ur wanting to adjust boost as a permanent thing, id do it from the actuator arm itself. in car kits are ok, but its extra piping...the only in cat kit id sugest is an electronic adjuster/computer. bleed valves are unneccessary and a bit risky.

stan
07-08-2007, 11:00
Yes, ideally electronic boost control is the way to go, especially if you want finite launch control adjustment etc etc...but for ease and cost, theres nothing wrong with a bleed valve.

titcharoony
07-08-2007, 11:38
on my old r5 I always felt a bit more laggy with a bleed valve, its fooling the actuator of course, I just think to save cutting pipes, n buying bleed valve, jst turn the actuator arm. easy.

Coops
07-08-2007, 11:42
tbh am leaning towards that way, just turn the arm to the right boost and check with incar gauge, then once its set up its set up, am not going to want to adjust it on the fly or anything, max boost all the time for me! :twisted:

titcharoony
07-08-2007, 20:46
it will depend on the actuator arm but i remember one complete turn on arm was 1/2 psi. So if u wanna raise by 4 psi ur looking at 8 turns. Just pop it on, check it boosts ok after warm up and then pull over and adjust. I once spent 30mins driving up and down a long straight just adjusting bit by bit. its worth taking it easy. over boost and ur in trouble of headgasket blowing or detonation/pinking. What turbo you got? most small turbos will withstand 13psi max., just gotta make sure ur feulling is matched if ur going any higher. I went from 7psi to 14psi, and to be honest, if id have just set at 11 I would have been most happy. I dont see the point of adjustable boost. if u dont wanna go as quick or ur fuel to go down, just set to max and take it easy on the right foot. :) good luck mate, trust me, stay clear of bleed valves/in car adjusters unless its electronic. even then....

Coops
07-08-2007, 21:08
already set mu current one up mate, went from 9 to 15psi, but my turbo is off to be looked at and i fancy a shiny new one to be safe due to other issues atm