PDA

View Full Version : Computer boffs

snowman
20-07-2007, 09:19
Are these any good,thinking of getting one as my Desktop is shagged?

http://vaio.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProduct.action?product=VGN-FZ19VN&site=voe_en_GB_cons&category=VN+FZ+Series

Robb
20-07-2007, 13:13
Depends what your going to be using it for! Sony are pretty expensive so i'd look around unless your set on a Sony. You can get much better Laptops for that price.

Coops
20-07-2007, 18:03
as said, sony charge ur arse off for what u get, could get a better specced laptop for less than that from acer or similar and more reliable n all, in my experience (used to work as a laptop repairman) sonys are very fragile machines.

but they do look shiny!

MattyH16valver
20-07-2007, 21:39
Go for a Toshiba mate.....one of the best IMO....Sony are just for the looks really....u could probably get a better spec Tosh for that kind of money

Robb
20-07-2007, 21:44
Acers, not good things a couple of my college class mates had them and they always broke. Toshiba are good, same with Dell.

stan
20-07-2007, 22:25
arent Acer made using Toshiba components...

Tullyvernon
22-07-2007, 00:45
i just bought a dell there, think its gr8, bt i dont realy know much about computas?

summeh
22-07-2007, 00:59
My misses bought a new laptop a few months ago, a sony vaio, i've never been a fan of laptops until I tried using the vaio, it is indeed a well thought out human computer interface.

She has had dell's in the past and to be quite honest they are not as good build quality as the vaio, the monitors always breaking at the hinges, keyboards come loose, keys fall off, etc.

I would say the vaio has more style than dell/acer etc, better build quality, but generally a lower spec for what you pay.

If spec is more important for the price you pay, then look elsewhere.

Justin..
22-07-2007, 01:58
my acer laptop is shit. the battery only lasts 20 mins from a full charge :roll:

trickyvicx
30-07-2007, 12:45
Acer are ok if you want just an average laptop they are nothing special. Depends what you are going to be using it for really :?:

Dancliovalver
30-07-2007, 12:52
my acer laptop is s**t. the battery only lasts 20 mins from a full charge :roll:

same with my toshiba one but i really like it, has windows vista and i really really like it :lol:

cliokiz
30-07-2007, 13:05
Batteries **** up on all laptops no matter what make they are, obviously some sooner than others but they all die sooner or later and eventually hold no charge at all, due to the memory effect i do believe.

Every time you use your laptop on battery power it will use as much power as it can from the battery, until the battery is eventually too weak to power the laptop and it will keep switching off when you try to boot it up.

Obviously there's still a small amount of charge left in the battery and you can't fully deplete it by this point as the laptop won't stay powered on.

If you plug in your charger to recharge the battery without getting rid of that small amount of charge it still has in it, you will loose that little amount of capacity each time, hence the term 'memory' effect. So of course as you never fully drain the battery you keep shortening it's life spam each time to charge it up.

The only way you can prevent this happening is if you get a small resistor and bridge the +ve and -ve contacts and leave it for say 24hrs, and this will drain the rest of the battery. Then, when you charge it, it will be charged to full capacity and everyone lives happily ever after.

I think that's how it all works anyway....!

Gav
30-07-2007, 13:08
go to dell.com

cant beat them :)