PDA

View Full Version : What cams?

big hp
05-07-2007, 18:58
What cams do people suggest for a F7R? make and deg's please.

I'm looking for power power power. With a nice spread of it, without it being a narrow power band.

Seriously thinking about getting this done now and caging the car up.

jay s
05-07-2007, 19:07
ive got piper fast road cams in mine, its a pretty mild cam but does what it says on the tin. nice 1k idle with a sweet cammy burble and a nice useable spread of power upto the 7.1k limit. had them in for around 23k now and have'nt had one problem with them :D

drsmith1979
05-07-2007, 19:09
what model number are they jay?

big hp
05-07-2007, 19:13
What are peoples opinions on the kent RN2003's? (not the pulleys ;))

Anyone got any useful info on catcams as i've heard people rate them.

Going to Ring Stan in next few days for a chat me thinks as i'll prob take it to him.

jay s
05-07-2007, 19:16
Piper Cams

Category : Piper Cams - Renault

Sub-category : Clio 1.8 16V / Williams 2.0 16V

Application : Williams Fast Road Cams-BL

Product Code: RW16VBP270H-BL

Details : Vernier pulleys recommended .
Powerband : 1800-6800rpm ; Power increase : 12bhp
Inlet duration : 264 deg ; Exhaust duration : 256 deg
Inlet valve lift : .407"/10.34mm ; Exhaust valve lift : .390"/9.90mm
(Valve lifts quoted assume a rocker ratio of 1:1. )
Timing (Inlet open - close) / (Exhaust open - close) : 22-62/58-18
Inlet full lift (ATDC) : 110 deg ; Exhaust full lift (BTDC) : 110 deg
Valve clearances : N/A

Price: £504.43 inc VAT

Clio_GTT
05-07-2007, 19:19
catcams 5502225

cliolord
05-07-2007, 19:23
Hey I have a set of cat cams 5502225 261* with the true lock vernier pulleys...Gives a brutal idle, good power high in rev range (5,500rpm+ is the best :D ) gives the first kick of power at around 3,800rpm. The low down torque from 2,000rpm on half throttle still remains mostly intact. Only down side really is you have to drive the car above 2,000rpm otherwise it starts to judder a little and if it drops below 1500rpm, well just dont :lol:

big hp
05-07-2007, 19:35
Make - Renault
Model - 2.0 Ltr 16 valve
Part Number - RN2003
Application - Sports 'R'
Power Band - 2000 - 6500
Cam Lift - 11.04mm inlet 10.62mm exhaust
Valve Lift - 11.04mm inlet 10.62mm exhaust
Duration - 278 - 258
Timing Figures - 31/67 57/21
Valve Timing - 106 Degrees
Valve Clearance - 0.00mm

DaveH
05-07-2007, 19:42
I was thinking about using the rn2003's as nobody seems to have used them, most use the rn2002 and seem to make good power.

FlamingMonkey
06-07-2007, 08:23
RN 2002s for me and pulleys, had mine in about 2.5 years

My power band is similar to the Cups in that it kicks in at 5k ish

Amirclio
06-07-2007, 10:10
i've got pipers with verniers in my hybrid.
Not sure what ones they are, it pulls right to the limiter. Was set up by Nick Hill with a ported head.

big hp
06-07-2007, 17:56
I was thinking about using the rn2003's as nobody seems to have used them, most use the rn2002 and seem to make good power.

Exactly what i'm thinking. Why have people not gone for them though?

Matt_16v
06-07-2007, 17:59
mine are 5502267 but had to get diff springs to accomodate

stan
06-07-2007, 18:21
Is the rest of the engine pretty standard matey??

If your on the standard managment, I would go for Catcams 550225...cliolord (a few posts above has these, check out his description)

feel free to give me a bell whenever mate...im back in work on monday.

Craig

big hp
06-07-2007, 18:31
Standard engine yes.

Supersprint, full magnex, green element in airbox and a chip wizards remap. making a healthy 151 @ wheels at chip wizards and 147 @ wheels at hill power so hoping a set of cams will give me a healthy @ wheels / torque figure as i'm already doing well with basic mods.

big hp
06-07-2007, 18:32
Will call back end of next week hopefully. When my tax rebate arrives :wink: 8)

DaveH
06-07-2007, 18:46

Exactly what i'm thinking. Why have people not gone for them though?

Because theyre gay and too scared of a lumpy idle lol Nah i just think that people usually tend to think they want decent power but just want a standard fast road cam without the lumpyness although gaz's with the rn2002 seems to be quite agressively timed making it lumpy and also explaining the very healthy power upgrade higher up(before portformance headwork)

big hp
06-07-2007, 19:14
Aggressive timing is where its at :twisted: Nana sounds awesome on tickover.

richy
07-07-2007, 17:37
big hp you have pm! :!:

big hp
08-07-2007, 10:15
:wink:

DaveH
08-07-2007, 19:16
Sorted then??

FlamingMonkey
08-07-2007, 22:53

Nana isnt agressivly timed though, same timing as mine, Kent spec timing, agree it does sound good though

big hp
09-07-2007, 18:08
Sorted then??

Well the general concensus seems to be towards cat cams. Looking into them at the moment.

Daz.
09-07-2007, 18:59
CAT CAMS!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

cliokiz
09-07-2007, 19:32
This is an interesting post... i'm hoping i can also get some advice from this.

Currently i have an F7R williams engine with a head which has been modified by GDI at some point in its life.

According to the invoice, it has 'Piper 270 profile cams' in it, and it's definately faster than a standard williams.

The problem is, its very tappy and Nick @ HP suggests they may have modified the head in a way which means it taps, or it's the cams that are making it tap. I've had the tappets replaced and the noise is still there the same as before.

It turns out that my head is now shagged as it's burning a serious amount of oil, so i need to source a new head.

I could use a standard head, but this engine has been RR'd at 160BHP, so i don't want to lose 10bhp by getting a standard head.

However, i don't want to re-use the cams i have now as i believe they are causing it to tap, so, if i get another head, what cams should i put in it?

I don't want it to tap, i want it to be a smooth drive (especially in low revs) as it's an everyday car but i would like it to be quicker than it currently is (if thats possible without screwing up the idle).

Im guessing i'm going to need a remap if i get some better cams, but what do you lot recommend?

I don't want to spend too much money but i'm happy to spend a bit to get it running right.

Cheers for any suggestions, sorry if this seems like a hijack but i thought it was kinda relevant..

jay s
09-07-2007, 20:30

Currently i have an F7R williams engine with a head which has been modified by GDI at some point in its life.

According to the invoice, it has 'Piper 270 profile cams' in it, and it's definately faster than a standard williams.

The problem is, its very tappy and Nick @ HP suggests they may have modified the head in a way which means it taps, or it's the cams that are making it tap. I've had the tappets replaced and the noise is still there the same as before.

It turns out that my head is now shagged as it's burning a serious amount of oil, so i need to source a new head.

I could use a standard head, but this engine has been RR'd at 160BHP, so i don't want to lose 10bhp by getting a standard head.

However, i don't want to re-use the cams i have now as i believe they are causing it to tap, so, if i get another head, what cams should i put in it?

I don't want it to tap, i want it to be a smooth drive (especially in low revs) as it's an everyday car but i would like it to be quicker than it currently is (if thats possible without screwing up the idle).

Im guessing i'm going to need a remap if i get some better cams, but what do you lot recommend?

I don't want to spend too much money but i'm happy to spend a bit to get it running right.

Cheers for any suggestions, sorry if this seems like a hijack but i thought it was kinda relevant..

what makes you say its the cams that make it tap? ive got piper 270's in mine and covered 23000 miles with them in and they dont tap ( well unless its a very cold morning, once upto temp tho is quite as a mouse ) engine has also covered 108000 miles .

DaveH
09-07-2007, 20:49

Nana isnt agressivly timed though, same timing as mine, Kent spec timing, agree it does sound good though

Eye, no crazy timing here. Kent settings on mine.

Scott, I hope u know that Kent Cams are for REAL MEN???

You sure ste didnt give it a sly tweak to gain some extra horses Gaz?? Does sound rather lumpy on tickover for relatively mild cams! Will hopefully be contacting po-fo in the next couple of months to sort mine out.

stan
09-07-2007, 20:52
if they are set to factory figures, setting them more "aggressive" wont neccessarily gain anything...you may gain a couple of peak power figures, but you will loose out torque lower down. I know which i would rather have!

stan
09-07-2007, 21:01

its probably the cams mate. They are regrinds, and consequently harsher on valve train. theres been a few cases ive seen where they have been noises, and im pretty sure they have all been from gdi.

160bhp isnt that great really for a supposedly modifed head....some stock engines are making that! as Gaz said above, a decently modified head will give you good gains. The only one ive done on stock cams made 173bhp and 157lbft, so for yours to be at 160bhp with cams AND head shows theres a problem somewhere.

If you want some better cams, drop me a pm.

jay s
09-07-2007, 21:41

its probably the cams mate. They are regrinds, and consequently harsher on valve train. theres been a few cases ive seen where they have been noises, and im pretty sure they have all been from gdi.

160bhp isnt that great really for a supposedly modifed head....some stock engines are making that! as Gaz said above, a decently modified head will give you good gains. The only one ive done on stock cams made 173bhp and 157lbft, so for yours to be at 160bhp with cams AND head shows theres a problem somewhere.

If you want some better cams, drop me a pm.

stan, not all pipers are regrinds mate, piper do sell them made from blanks aswell. maybe the ones gdi sell are regrinds tho? i cant see the cams being that bad as mine are stilling holding up stong with no nasty side effects.

MAXIBOY
09-07-2007, 21:43
the way there run in can have a huge effect also

stan
09-07-2007, 21:48
aye they do the 270's from blanks, but the ones ive seen have always been reground, even from Nick.

MAXIBOY
09-07-2007, 21:57
mine where from blanks and i,m still thinking of buying new ones from stan

jay s
09-07-2007, 22:12
aye they do the 270's from blanks, but the ones ive seen have always been reground, even from Nick.

:wink: i shall ring mr hill tomorrow to ask what he used in mine as from what i remember i paid something like £750-£800 for my kit which were just cams and pulleys, for this price i would expect it to be blanks as on there own they cost £505 then pulleys £183 , then his bit ontop would seem about right but i shall phone and ask :D