PDA

View Full Version : LCD TV help

Purple
24-06-2007, 16:29
Does anyone know of user reviews on AV forum sites for this budget-brand TV? I believe it sells under ATEC AV470DS or Eversham 1080P brand in UK. I think it was savaged by What HiFi this month, can anyone summarize that review here?

It's 1920x1080, 47 inch with 1080P compatibility. I have seen it side-by-side with other LCD TVs playing normal DVD and it does look better to my untrained eyes. BTW, we get the dual HDMI version here and I can get one for about 940 GBP delivered.

It's slightly urgent as my decade-old tube TV fried 3 days ago, and I am hoping to get a replacement soon. Not much into HT stuff nor TV gaming, just using it for watching cable/terrestrial channels and regular DVDs.

Thanks.

Andyvalver
24-06-2007, 16:40
Tbh mate. If its this one..
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-Evesham-47-1080P-HD-Ready-LCD-TV_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ190122307660

You can get a decent make lcd tv for that money.

Like this ;)

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/index~modelcode~SON-KDL46S2510U.htm

Also, bigger is not better. Imo sat a cheap brand 47" tv is going for say i dunno, 1000. Imo its better to get a 40" decent brand tv for that money cuz it will be a better tv.

My mate has a 46" sharp hdtv and i have a 32" sony hdtv and mine cost a hundred quid more than his but my picture quality id far superior.

Im slightly biased cuz i own a sony but i belive you get what you pay for. :D

Andyvalver
24-06-2007, 16:43
Oh btw. If you just want it for watching cable, id go a tad smaller cuz general tv on lcd tv's looks a little grainy. Plasma is better for digital tv but if you go to hdtv then lcd is the tits

Purple
24-06-2007, 17:06
The other TV I like was the samsung plasma PC42Q91 (42 inch, 1366x768, 1080i compat.) for about 820 GBP. Generally, I am not much of a TV watching person, so value-for-money is more important to me than very high picture quality. My budget is about 600 to 900GBP for 37 inch or bigger (my old tube TV was 34 inch, 4:3).

I had some initial trepidation about the budget-brand 47 inch LCD as well, but after comparing the same source DVD feed among several other TVs, I was quite impress with its picture quality.

It's been a tiring few days trooping all over the shops staring at big screens :) Btw, I live in singapore, so some of the prices I am quoting might be different from what you get there.

Purple
27-06-2007, 01:01
Just to close out the topic.

Bought the Samsung 42" plasma PC42Q91. It was delivered for about 750 GBP. Looks decent enough even with my analog set-up box, which I really should upgrade to digital soon.

Decided against the ATEC/Eversham as I went and checked out the picture quality at another shop and it looked orangey at default setting (unlike the first test, which had very decent quality). Might be inconsistent quality control at the factory or just lousy in-shop connection, but I am not willing to gamble on that.

Sniff, so it's goodbye to my last, and utterly reliable, CRT TV :bye: And hello, high-maintenance panel TV with many new confounding abbreviations that will take me another decade to know what they mean :)

FATBOY
27-06-2007, 09:13
ive got the 42" phillips LCD tv. had it since xmas, would definitly recommend it! plus its well dropped in price now...

Purple
27-06-2007, 15:51
ive got the 42" phillips LCD tv. had it since xmas, would definitly recommend it! plus its well dropped in price now...
Yeah, saw the Philips 42TA2800 LCD TV at the shops for about 700GBP. They are assembled here, so any warranty claim will be a cinch. But, in the end, I preferred the samsung pictures over all the 42 inch TVs that I saw. Plus they delivered in less than 24 hours of my phone order.

Andyvalver
27-06-2007, 15:53
Imo the samsungs sell on thier looks. Very nice sleek looking black tv's but they lack overall sound quality i think. I listened to a few and they didnt seem to go very loud.

Purple
27-06-2007, 16:08
Imo the samsungs sell on thier looks. Very nice sleek looking black tv's but they lack overall sound quality i think. I listened to a few and they didnt seem to go very loud.
Honestly, I did not notice how the bezel frame looked until they got delivered. I think they sounded OK, but being an ex-audiophile guy, I just dragged out my dusty old Exposure pre/power and Mission 754s to hook up to the TV. Won't get HT surround but at least should get decent stereo fidelity. I hope the old hifi still works :)