PDA

View Full Version : Cam Re-profiling

mikeymikewakey
22-06-2007, 14:07
Hey Guys,

Im investing in some cams but was just wondering (seen as I have 2 spare standard 16V cams) if there is anything negative about re-profiling my old cams as it seems a cheaper option?

Mike

Chris H
22-06-2007, 15:36
they machine the base circle down to increase the lift, so the tappets extend further increasing rock on them.

If its done properly and your not trying to get an extra 3mm of lift or something else daft should be fine - for a good while anyway.

cliolord
22-06-2007, 18:50
they machine the base circle down to increase the lift, so the tappets extend further increasing rock on them.

If its done properly and your not trying to get an extra 3mm of lift or something else daft should be fine - for a good while anyway.

The part of the cam which sits in the cam carriers? Sounds simple, far from it in reality

Chris H
22-06-2007, 19:05
no the opposite side from the lobe, thats the base circle, or heel if you prefer.

cliolord
22-06-2007, 19:28
ah ha, i was trying to figure out how changing the profile of the carrier seat on teh camshaft would help as it would drop the cam lower and squirt oil out the cam seals and dizzy cap :lol: