PDA

View Full Version : cams

rob-legend
18-06-2007, 18:37
hi, i'm looking at buying some uprated cams and pullies for my williams engine, the engine is standard and i think is due a rebuild (92000 miles, what do you think?) and i was wondering if you guys could give me any advice on what to do before installing cams i.e. breathing and cooling upgrades (if neccessary) and what cams are best to buy as i'm new to all of this and have no idea what i'm really buying, the car is for road use, and some track days, but mainly road for now. i have seen some kent cams and pullies on ebay complete with chip: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Clio-Williams-1-8-16v-Cams-and-Pullies_W0QQitemZ200120466420QQihZ010QQcategoryZ72 205QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem, will these fit into the williams head? any help will be much appreciated, thanks.

MAXIBOY
18-06-2007, 18:42
if the engines not poorly 92k is not a problem. speak to benr or stan on here about cat cams as they are a good opition. best breathing mods are a replacement filter element and a stainless exhaust system maybe with a decat depending on noise.

bill.
18-06-2007, 22:20
i've just knocked up 101,000 miles and going strong as ****, going to be fitting some piper cams and pulleys very soon, so i wouldn't worry about the milage fella :D

rob-legend
19-06-2007, 18:08
thanks man, but wht do the different degrees mean with cams? what are suitable for road use with petrol consumption?

Chris H
22-06-2007, 15:40
different degrees mean different cam timing and duration.

Some general rules (note GENERAL to the pedants out there)

The wilder the duration the less low rev friendly and fuel economy wise they are. However generally the better the top end is.

The higher the lift the more strain is put on the drivetrain (excessive lift firgures need checkign to make sure the valve springs don't bind), higher lift with the same original duration makes a nicer car at low revs and economy wise but doesn't give the same at the tiop end as the bigh duration one.

Theres a lot more to it but I can't be bothered that covers the basics.

rob-legend
22-06-2007, 18:05
haha, alright cool thanks for your help man.

cliolord
22-06-2007, 18:40
I would worry about mileage, i would definitly worry when its leaking into 120K+ all the extra stress of more hp is enough to send things going ka BANG! then it will be a very upsetting moment in your Clio :cry: then again it depends how far you are going