PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had a problem with Chipwizards Remap?

cliolord
16-06-2007, 13:24
Just wondering as we hear so much good stuff about them. This has angered me slightly after spending 410quid and driving all that way. My problems;
-Will NOT idle in the morning on the Remapped ECU without your foot on throttle for around 30seconds
-When I got my car back, the washer jet was left unplugged so it sprayed screen wash over my mapped ECU
-I asked for idle to be set after throttle idle screw had been screwed in (this didnt happen)
-Limiter set too low imo (6,800 - 6,900rpm)

On my standard ECU which I used over the weekend, my car started from cold and idled without stalling once. I am quite upset about this and getting through to Wayne is a joke. Should have gone to hillpower i think :cry:

Mr.AdamB
16-06-2007, 13:29
thought u had ure ecu mapped before?

u got it done again and they scrwewed it up ? w**kers

MAXIBOY
16-06-2007, 13:29
sorry to hear that mate. never heard anything but good things about him though. hope you can get it sorted. still could be worse i have to fly henk in from holland to get mine mapped. :shock:

cliolord
16-06-2007, 13:41
thought u had ure ecu mapped before?

u got it done again and they scrwewed it up ? w**kers

this is the same map mate. Had abit of trouble with rough running a few days ago so I tried my old ECU which didnt sort out the running problem (turn out to be the dizzy cap that had burnt out on the contact for the rotor arm) Since using the old ECU its fine then the mapped ECU is cack in the morning. So anoying knowing this could have been fine if he hadnt of rushed the map

cliolord
16-06-2007, 13:42
sorry to hear that mate. never heard anything but good things about him though. hope you can get it sorted. still could be worse i have to fly henk in from holland to get mine mapped. :shock:

lol jesus, thats abit costly isn't it? Well I am making do for now. I am trying to save for a iTB kit and I will put the setting up and mapping in Stan's hands

jay s
16-06-2007, 14:02
yep should of gone to hillpower :D

Martin
16-06-2007, 15:25
When I had my old williams done it idled at 1500rpm....not really a problem tbh although it may bother some.

cliolord
16-06-2007, 15:28
yeah, 1500rpm is abit high, especially when your moving as it tries to idle abit higher due to the speed sensor in the speedo cable :P that means slow dropping revs = anoying and clutch killer

MatBrown
16-06-2007, 19:00
Glad i'm going Hillpower for mine.
At least if your not happy about something with Nick he will get you straight back in and sort it, he always answers the phone too.

Mat.

jay s
16-06-2007, 22:10
mine idles perfect at 1k at tick over and its cammed :wink:

big hp
17-06-2007, 14:31
Never had a problem with mine.

northy
18-06-2007, 07:47
Have you spoken to chipwizzards ???

big hp
18-06-2007, 08:54
He's having trouble getting hold of wayne northy.

He's a top man and would defo sort it. Once you've got hold of him though that is.

j3ned
13-07-2007, 11:47
Just seen this - this guy ****ed my clio TT up with his so called re-map. Its one of the reasons i sold the car.....i could never get it right afterwards

Clio-Girl
13-07-2007, 12:04
reading this thread has made me think i have the same problem as ive just had mine mapped and it wont idle when it first starts.
i hope you get it sorted soon!

Matt_16v
13-07-2007, 12:07
I personally would not reccomend him as he did not want my business! tried him for 2-3 weeks... Therefore in my book not worth it!

FlamingMonkey
13-07-2007, 12:41
No problems with mine, he will remap it though for you, he did for me after I had a problem with the lambda and manifold, did it for free too.

drsmith1979
13-07-2007, 13:14
I get the impression from speaking to various people that Wayne is a nice guy and knows what he is doing, however, i also get the feeling and opinion from some that he simply isnt passionate about cars. I guess this happens to a lot of people who do them everyday, as a result it becomes a job. How many people on here react so passionately and enthusiastically at work day after day?

the problem when there isnt much option for the customer, you can act how you like and know they will come to you anyway, besides i dont think he is ever stuck for work so the odd customer being pissed off isnt a big deal. Thats not to say he does it on purpose or doesnt give a shite, its just a fact thats all.

What does nick do? does he live map or use generic maps? i know he has a rolling road.

j3ned
13-07-2007, 14:40
The fact is he ****s jobs up - you carry on doing that and eventually people wont use you. Ive reffered 20 - 30 people to Ric Wood now in Manchester.....at £400 a time thats a lot of money hes lost

drsmith1979
13-07-2007, 15:15
whos ric wood?

FlamingMonkey
13-07-2007, 17:45
He is passionate about motors, just need to speak to him and you'd know that I reckon.

Mapping road cars, isn't really his business, he makes money doing race cars usually, but when I asked him why he doesnt answer his phone often, is simple, he get a lot of calls per day from ****wits ringing up about pricing for mapping etc and, his answering the phone take him away from what he is doing making the job take longer than usual, he gets lots of calls with people wanting his opinion on things, this again take him away from actual work, he could take on a secretary, but the people ringing dont wanna speak to someone who hasnt got a clue.

Its a difficult situation he's in really, could do with a partner or something.

I agree though it is a pain to get through though, if you wanna go with him you'll keep trying, if not take it somehwere else, simple as really

I agree with about Nick though, very helpful and always answers the phones. Never experienced his mapping though personally, apart from Martins, which he didnt rate.

FlamingMonkey
13-07-2007, 17:46
whos ric wood?

http://www.nndb.com/people/376/000044244/rwood03.jpg

stan
13-07-2007, 17:58
but saying things like "i dont like my job" is kinda hinting to the contrary... :lol:

MatBrown
14-07-2007, 01:38
What does nick do? does he live map or use generic maps? i know he has a rolling road.

He can offer either.

Mat.

matty
14-07-2007, 09:22
Never had a problem with my chipwizard remap.

And surely the map is based on the state of car when done so if things are faulty, the chip will map the best to the current state of the car and then if you change stuff after, the map will not be as tailored?

So if he mapped your car with a knackered dizzy, then surely that is not his fault and now settings will be different as you have changed the dizzy?

drsmith1979
14-07-2007, 10:51
sure the map will have inbuilt tolerances so it can adapt to such measures, its not simply a 'my way or the high way' kind of software program, it has to be able to adapt as after all thats the point of having a computer and all the sensors!?

j3ned
14-07-2007, 11:32
You want your car sorting out proffesionally with no bullshit

http://www.ricwood.com/

this guy can map a tefal kettle up with his hand on his cock and his other on a rubik's cube

Daz.
14-07-2007, 12:26
^^ Now thats impressive - any videos? :lol:

drsmith1979
14-07-2007, 12:51
how much does he charge?

summeh
14-07-2007, 17:11
My cup car has a chipwizards remap and you have to give it some to warm it up before letting it just idle, otherwise it'll stall sometimes. Not really a problem though as its a race car, also no ISCV, but standard cams, so wouldn't expect this.

summeh
16-07-2007, 23:39
Ok then ! 8)

midge
25-07-2007, 10:42
my chip wizards map was fine, i also got through first time, and was booked in 5 days later.

Ive not used nick at all so cant realy judge, all i know is, is that Jay has had to have his car re-mapped 4 times..

jay s
25-07-2007, 19:00
my chip wizards map was fine, i also got through first time, and was booked in 5 days later.

Ive not used nick at all so cant realy judge, all i know is, is that Jay has had to have his car re-mapped 4 times..

4 times :? where did u get that from? my car has had 2 remaps:
1st was when the 2.0ltr first got put in so it needed it, then 2nd time was when i got the supersprint and fuelpump fitted, again needed it. its ment to be running lean at the moment so it needs another but as you well know it has no problem seeing off you in your 14.1 car :wink: and when you had your chipwizard map on the old car you was'nt any quicker

drsmith1979
25-07-2007, 20:18
has someone ever tried to do a back to back comparison of the remaps? get one done on a rolling road from chipwizards, hillpower etc.. and have an independant rolling road done? im sure northy could do this with the clubs funds, that would give a good indication as to what was best and how it drives and as such have lots of customers lining up

drsmith1979
25-07-2007, 21:17
The problem seems to me that 'mapping' isnt the 'exact science' that people perceive it to be. Its more of an experience and artistic procedure rather than simply applying simple calculations, knowing what works, what doesnt etc...

secondly, if someone spends all day on a race car their personal preferences to how something idles, how it picks up are going to be influenced by the majority of his works. So a daily driver may have a few problems if its been mapped to be a complete beast and track day weapon.

I've had lots of cars mapped, BMW's, Fords etc.... and i have been happy with them all except one. It was a simple mistake, they put the wrong base map on and then modified it without really taking note of all the figures and perameters, as a result it was massively over fueling. I managed to find the problem and had all the software downloaded to show to the mapper (who had previously done 3 of my cars) and he still wouldnt admit doing it wrong.

There are always going to be people unsatisfied with their results, as some people go in with a fairly quick car and expect turbo esk performance when they drive out! realistic expectations.

as for passion for your job, how many people here go to work and love every second of it? the reason why there are so few people willing to do this particular tuning special, is there is a lot of come back should things go wrong and reputations are easily tarnished.

northy
26-07-2007, 08:06
Im sure that every tunner will have some bad feedback out there.

I waved this morning monkey when i saw in the libary http://forevergeek.com/images/gadget.jpg

big hp
26-07-2007, 16:58
has someone ever tried to do a back to back comparison of the remaps? get one done on a rolling road from chipwizards, hillpower etc.. and have an independant rolling road done? im sure northy could do this with the clubs funds, that would give a good indication as to what was best and how it drives and as such have lots of customers lining up

I got my car mapped at chipwizards on the tuesday and got 151 @ wheels then went to a club RR shootout at hillpower on the sat and got 147 @ wheels.

Figures are only that. its how it drives and i'm very happy with it considering its standard apart from breathing mods.

Lunner
26-07-2007, 18:13
Overall there are more people very happy with chipwizards than there are people unhappy, and tehre doesn't seem to be anyone very unhappy..........as northy said everyone has bad feedback, but if the majority of people are happy the rest might just be finickty gits......i'll go with the majority :D

seanofnp
27-07-2007, 01:28
comedy thread, love it.

I want a remap tbh, whos best to go to? ;)

richy
27-07-2007, 20:14
ok now cleaned up and back on...

play nicely kids :wink:

FlamingMonkey
27-07-2007, 22:29
I thought it was all banter apart from the cock comment? :solider:

Andy
28-07-2007, 12:56
that had to be the funniest post lol

pmsl at the nettle comment monkey

cliolord
29-07-2007, 13:30
Overall there are more people very happy with chipwizards than there are people unhappy, and tehre doesn't seem to be anyone very unhappy..........as northy said everyone has bad feedback, but if the majority of people are happy the rest might just be finickty gits......i'll go with the majority :D

i am very unhappy for sure. 411quid and i am getting KMR stand alone management from Craig (Stan) and his mate is mapping it. I have had enough of this shite idle....The idle with the standard ECU is much better and I have tried the standard ecu but I after spending all that cash on an ECU i feel i have to use it you know? Not good at all

richy
29-07-2007, 16:20
have you contacted wayne about this?

cliolord
30-07-2007, 18:23
No, it is over 300miles from me. There is more than meets the eye;
- Washer jet on drivers side not linked back up after removal of the scuttle panel to modify ECU so I sprayed fluid all over my newly chipped ECU when I drove along the bypass
- Asked for idle screw in throttle body to be reset before idle was smoothed (he didnt do this, said that ECU will increase idle to 1100rpm when idle screw is reset, the car idles at 750 with idle screw in and judders like its on drugs)
- The whole process took now longer than about 2hours from chipping to remapped, that works out 200quid an hour. That is good going

So basically, I dropped 411quid on the floor and at the same time have my car stall on cold start, my washer jet be unplugged, drive 600miles to burn fuel and get 2 days off work. Excellent :cry:

richy
30-07-2007, 20:47
sorry to here that pal, im sure something like the washer pipe could just be a small thing he missed/forgot to put back on... obviously it isnt going to help at all with fluid getting on the ecu, but isnt your ecu covered etc?

i can understand why you are not happy with the end results as such, esp as if you said it took only 2hours and cost u x amount.

from the ppl i have spoke to tbh 90% have said good things about him, i haven't personally met him or had any work with him done so cannot comment myself, i have no grounds to! lol

but no doubt it like any tuner/dealer etc you always get good and bad jobs it seems for whatever reason,

just hope you get it sorted without hassle whichever route you go down! :)

Matt_16v
31-07-2007, 09:31
I haven't paid much more than that for my kms ecu mate. Thats why i went for it in the first place, because by the time i got all the way upto manchester or wherever it is..... :? and back Ive done at least 2 tanks of fuel which is about £80 and than have to pay 411 for what seems like a half hearted job.

cliolord
31-07-2007, 18:38
dont worry, the clio will be screaming soon. This is a minor glitch in the Output from the powerplant, just pi55d me off wasting all that money