PDA

View Full Version : RE: Bank Charges

stan
24-05-2007, 22:46
Following on from that thread of last month...

tommorow the 25th will be 2 weeks since I sent the first letter off to barclays. Ive had no response of any description. What now...proceed with small claims court action, and another letter notifying them??

Im hoping this recent case of a judge throwing a claim out of court hasnt set a new trend for a banks actions :?

stan
24-05-2007, 22:47
Also, does anybody have the link to those web pages covering this topic that was in the original thread?
Cheers :D

MattyH16valver
24-05-2007, 22:59
Also, does anybody have the link to those web pages covering this topic that was in the original thread?
Cheers :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6170209.stm

nyk
25-05-2007, 08:28
Stan. check out here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/

Gives you step by step instructions and letter templates. Look at the ammount that has been reclaimed so far by people using this consumer action site :shock:

Swervin_Mervin
25-05-2007, 14:23
Have you just sent the one letter? I sent 1 giving them 14 days to respond, then another stressing that if they didn't respond within the next 14 days it was small claims time.

Then I didn't hear owt 'til after I started the small claims proceeding.

OOjoe90
25-05-2007, 15:49
i did this a while ago, i claimed from barclays for £1680 and a few pence, it took near 4 months to get the money and finally settled on £1400, which i thought was very fair due to the fact it was my stupidness getting myself in a mess with money.

you just need to be persistant,

1st letter - satement request
2nd - stating how much your claiming
3rd - chasing the ammount
4th - declining first offer and threat of small claims court action
5th - again declining 2nd offer and further threats regarding court action and say you have been to see a solicitor.

you should then get a decent settlement figure, its ery rare though they offer full ammount and now after the court throughing a recent claim out againsit Loyds TSB, if it did go to court you could face loosing, and because of that case getting thrown out, banks are now offering less pay outs.

hope this helps. :)

VIPERONE
25-05-2007, 18:31
recently one of the banks won a case it took to court..the claimant wanted paying back £2000..banks took him to court and won lol

Wobba
25-05-2007, 19:08
It took NatWest 4 months to settle my claim. I claimed £2.2k roughly and ended up with about £2k offered. It took some time for the letters to come through, and they left it to the last possible day to send me the offer, exactly 8 weeks after acknowledging my complaint. Bastards!

Still, I win :lol:

Swervin_Mervin
25-05-2007, 19:40
DO NOT SETTLE FOR ANYTHING LESS THAN THE FULL AMOUNT.

It will not go to court. And you WILL get the full amount PLUS 8% interest.

Those that have taken it to court have done so deliberately. THe guy that lost against Lloyd's fvcked up and didn't take a copy of the T&C's hence the judge had to rule against him due to lack of evidence. Besides, it's a district judgment so cannot be held as a test case in any other case.

See the consumer action group for teh best advice.

MatBrown
25-05-2007, 20:38
Again, i fail to see how all these people can have so many charges! :shock:

Mat.

stan
25-05-2007, 22:44
Yeah these claims of 2k etc is quite alot. Mines for £730...4 years of being a student and getting unpaid direct debits and a couple of cheques every few months...soon adds up.

So should i procced with small claims action NOW, or write another letter first telling them im going to, and leave it 14days THEN proceed with small claims???

Ta, Craig :D

Swervin_Mervin
25-05-2007, 23:30
I'd write another personally giving them 14 days, then go small claims. Kep your fingers crossed it goes to small claims. I think I claimed for about £750 and got about £80 in interest! 8)