PDA

View Full Version : How big????

nyk
10-05-2007, 16:42
I am seriously considering getting a bigger TV, and just wondering how big other peoples are? What is the norm and not considered OTT?

I dont wanna get something that people can watch down the street, lol, but I just dont feel my screen is that big anymore?

Opinions?
:D

nyk
10-05-2007, 16:44
also is LCD the best bet??

Swervin_Mervin
10-05-2007, 17:02
How big you got now?

There is a multiplier. Something like 5 or 6 times the distance you sit from it.

i.e. if you sat 8' away get a 42". That kind of thing. I like how since I ast looked they've plummetted in price. 8)

northy
10-05-2007, 17:03
Is yours not big enough !!

FATBOY
10-05-2007, 17:43
LCD is best! ive got an LCD tv and its been great! heard bad things about plasma tho! how big is yours at the mo?? mine is 42" and is just right. also depends on your room size! my tv has well dropped in price tho :0( i paid £999 b4 xmas and its now in currys for £699 42" philips LCD.

richy
10-05-2007, 19:02
jeez your tv is massive!!!!!!!!!!! id leave it as it is lol will need to sit in back yard to see it clearly if you get a bigger tv!!

FATBOY
10-05-2007, 19:25
whos tv richy??? mine???

nyk
10-05-2007, 19:30
Our current one is a 42", which I suppose is bigger than normal, but weve had it for over a year now and I want to upgrade. People do think it is a big tele, but you get used to it, and it doesnt seem big to you at all when you watch it every day.

I'm thinking about a wall mounted one???

I'd like to get a bigger one but I dont want a cinema in the front room, that the neighbours can watch from across the street, so unsure really of what to get. :?

Do I stick to the same size and go for an LCD or a plasma?
I hate asking in like Currys cos they always advise you to buy the item they get most commission on an shit like that.

lewis_willy2
10-05-2007, 19:40
see my playstaion 3 post

im considering a 50inch but not sure what theyre like????????????

richy
10-05-2007, 19:46
whos tv richy??? mine???

im on about nyk's fatboy, not u lol

Rich
10-05-2007, 19:51
LCD is best yes. TBH i'd advise a LG telly. they are reasonably priced and they last and last! I used to work for Comet (warehouse though not sales so i'm not too clued up on TV's) all i know is LG LCD's were the ones we had back returned faulty the least.

Oh yeah Comet dont get comission anymore either so go there and they shouldn't bullshit you. except for buying monster cable which imo is a total pile of overpirced shit!

Smudger
10-05-2007, 19:55
my mate bought a 42" Pioneer PLasma a few weeks back, bit pricey at 1299 but whoever says plama's are shite havent watched a proper one

the technology has changed allot since the first ones and allo of places now recommend going plasma for anything larger than a 40"

FATBOY
10-05-2007, 20:13
i know what ya mean nyk about getting used to it! mine doesnt seem big now... but when ya go round a friends house and they have a normal tv its a nightmare! so hard to watch a smaller screen now

nyk
10-05-2007, 20:34
i know what ya mean nyk about getting used to it! mine doesnt seem big now... but when ya go round a friends house and they have a normal tv its a nightmare! so hard to watch a smaller screen now

tell me about it!! lol

Rich
10-05-2007, 21:06
whoever says plama's are shite havent watched a proper one

the technology has changed allot since the first ones and allo of places now recommend going plasma for anything larger than a 40"

plasma is totally unservicable and a lot less reliable than LCD mate. the gas in them can distort very easily thus leaving them more prone to break. why do you think they are cheaper to buy than LCD's? i'm not saying out the box plasma aren't good tellys. just saying LCd is a better option in question of reliability

FATBOY
10-05-2007, 21:11
all ive heard is good things about LCD... and every person i know has recommended an LCD over PLASMA

Swervin_Mervin
10-05-2007, 21:35
I'm sorry but every LCD I've seen has been nowhere close to the best Plasmas. Especially on the blacks.

And they aren't that unreliable. They do have a shorter life but then it's still a way longer life than most people would ever keep one.

The Panasonics are the shizzle imo.

Coops
10-05-2007, 21:36
42" for normal TV is fine

for films etc, media projector all the way, my parents have a full on set up at home, dedicated room and the projectors is set to 10' diaganol screen size!, now thats a proper screen! :wink:

MAXIBOY
10-05-2007, 23:04
i,m with coops. we run loads of projectors and screens from 6x4 up to about 60 feet. there just so much more affordable now. there great for movies and games.

Daz.
10-05-2007, 23:21
Yours is huge Nyk but I know what you mean - its so bulky!

We've got a 42" Phillips plasma in the front room and its ok but I'd have gone lcd if it had been my money.

Getting mounted on the wall makes so much of a difference too! especially with swivel mounts you can push it flat to the wall and it creates so much space!

I've always always been a fan of Panasonics - yes I know I'm slightly biased as I used to work part time in my youth at a Panasonic retailer but they actually use a modified Panasonic tubes/internals in Bang & Olufsens - well they did anyway I can't see that changing as one of them owns the other (very very slightly modified too)

DaveH
11-05-2007, 00:40
A mate of mine who works at curry's tells me that lg are one of the best makes to buy because apparently they make loads of the parts for most other manufacturers which sell their tv's at double the money so is virtually the same tv.

Clio_GTT
11-05-2007, 09:16
LCD will never be as good as CRT, even when they all get down to 2ms CRT will still have em on response time ;)

Just a shame you have to have the titanic in your front room to get a decent size CRT.

Samsung or LG are the makes to go for as their technology is far superior, go 1080p HD ready and you can't go wrong for futureproofing.

Also check the internet for the best deals, much cheaper than comet or similar :D

Zollo
11-05-2007, 09:52
I'm sorry but every LCD I've seen has been nowhere close to the best Plasmas. Especially on the blacks.

And they aren't that unreliable. They do have a shorter life but then it's still a way longer life than most people would ever keep one.

The Panasonics are the shizzle imo.

Totally agree - I saw loads of LCDs and plasmas before buying mine, and I really didn't like the LCD picture: blacks are a lot blacker with plasma. But then, picture quality is a very subjective thing. And as Swervin said, I'll be wanting to get a bigger and better one before the picture starts to deteriorate.

Don't agree with the Panasonic bit, though - Pioneer all the way 8) :wink:

nyk
11-05-2007, 10:33
lol ^^^

I already have a new car fund.

Your mate Steve @ Portformance is having the head off the golf in the next couple of weeks :wink:

Was having a look on the internet the other day for a new one, thats what got me started, surprising how much they have come down in price.
I think I'll have to set myself a budget and get the best I can for that ammount. The one in the front room can then go in the spare bedroom for Lee to watch his crappy films and for the playstation. :D

northy
11-05-2007, 10:57
or u could give it me.... :winkey:

nyk
11-05-2007, 11:03
or u could give it me.... :winkey:

I'll swap you for one of your fleet.

:lol:

northy
11-05-2007, 11:05
deal....

nyk
11-05-2007, 11:08
I dont want the shitroen, must be capable of tripod mode :lol:

Actually you coming over later or do you want me to bring these strips over to yours?

northy
11-05-2007, 11:14
I dont want the shitroen, must be capable of tripod mode :lol:

Actually you coming over later or do you want me to bring these strips over to yours?

was coming over but will be this afty.....not having that motor...i have a nice 16v rolling shell avaliable ?

nyk
11-05-2007, 11:15
lol

OK mate.

Drop me a bell or summat before you set off. Lee should be home.

bigjim
11-05-2007, 13:15
lcd is best up to about 37" then anything bigger get a plasma, picture quality is far superiour on the bigger sizes with plasma where as on lcd it pixalates, ive got a 42" samsung hd plasma bought brand new about 8 months ago and its a superb piece of kit, also got a great deal as my brother in law is self employed satellite engineer and gets all the stuff direct from suppliers trade and he also said to get plasma over 37".

mike16valver
11-05-2007, 14:17
42" :D

nyk
11-05-2007, 14:37
I'm a greedy girl, 42" is just not big enough anymore. lol

MattyH16valver
11-05-2007, 18:38
I'm a greedy girl, 42" is just not big enough anymore. lol
:shock: Thats Very Greedy! :lol:

Clio_GTT
11-05-2007, 18:39
I'm a greedy girl, 42" is just not big enough anymore. lol :shocked blue: your fella must faint everytime he's on the job

DaveH
11-05-2007, 18:56
Crappy films? The mans got taste, the last dragon- legend :lol:

nyk
11-05-2007, 19:12
Crappy films? The mans got taste, the last dragon- legend :lol:

the last dragon and that naked gun shite lol

MrAtego
12-05-2007, 11:01
Couple of sites for you to check out, personally wouldn't touch an LG as heard only bad things, Sony all the way for me!!!

http://www.avforums.com/forums/index.php

http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/readnews.asp?shownews=yes&uan=1086

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/

nyk
12-05-2007, 12:47
Thanks Simon

DaveH
12-05-2007, 14:15
You forgot wallace and gromit :wink:

lewis_willy2
13-05-2007, 13:20
your never too old 4 wallace and gromit :D

Dan_mk1
14-05-2007, 14:59
As above, 37 and over go for plasma, 37 and under go for LCD. All the stuff about plasma's being unreliable is bullshit, its just chinese whispers, lol. I have a 37" LCD Sharp full HD 1080p that I bought a few months back and its awesome, my dad has a 42" Hitachi Plasma that he's had for the past 4-5 years and its been faultless!

Caz 755
14-05-2007, 23:11
I had a 50" LG plasma..... (Until the ex took it home :( )..... but while it was here it was awesome, couldnt fault it one bit, did a lot of shopping around before buying it considered both plasma and LCD, and all the top brands too.

Mate had samsung 42" LCD same week and had to send it back faulty the next week.

Secret is having the settings lower on the plasma's to almost break them in for about 100 hours of being on. Then you can whack it all back up and really enjoy the experience.