PDA

View Full Version : Airports & car parts

Purple
08-05-2007, 08:32
Has anyone hand-carried or checked-in bulky car parts (say, rear exhaust box) through an airport? Do they have any reason to stop you? Or tell you to get rid of the part? The largest I have checked-in is brake discs, but I am getting ambitious :)

schakal
08-05-2007, 09:32
Has anyone hand-carried or checked-in bulky car parts (say, rear exhaust box) through an airport? Do they have any reason to stop you? Or tell you to get rid of the part? The largest I have checked-in is brake discs, but I am getting ambitious :)

they wont let you take bulky parts/metal parts
as carry on luggage but of course you can check them in .
saying that couple years back i carried a full set
of window rubbers for my chamade in the cabin :)

they cant say anything as long as your parts
are packed properly (no sharp bits sticking out )
however most airports have a max 32kg for 1 baggage policy
which you shall bare in mind .

Purple
08-05-2007, 09:52
32 kg would be a luxury, most places are only 20 kg only. It's just that I have not packed anything weird into my luggage post Sep 11. Not sure if this new paranoia would cause me any problems with things like suspension bit and foam-sealed exhaust parts into 2 bags (40kg).

northy
08-05-2007, 10:13
I would presume they would be x-rayed first anyway pal ?

Purple
08-05-2007, 10:27
AFAIK, they only X-ray hand-carry luggages, but not check-in luggages. I guess, in theory, if I box them up properly, I should be able to check them in. I just worry about over-paranoid airport staff these days. In the past, I have been stopped for hand-carrying over a dozen bottles of water-wetters ("Sir, these are highly flammable") and a big toroidal core transformer which made the the x-ray machine staff all nervous and fidgety :). But cleared them all with some hassle. That was before 9/11, I am not sure if it will be that easy now.

Anyone with any experience to share?

schakal
08-05-2007, 11:35
AFAIK, they only X-ray hand-carry luggages, but not check-in luggages. I guess, in theory, if I box them up properly, I should be able to check them in. I just worry about over-paranoid airport staff these days. In the past, I have been stopped for hand-carrying over a dozen bottles of water-wetters ("Sir, these are highly flammable") and a big toroidal core transformer which made the the x-ray machine staff all nervous and fidgety :). But cleared them all with some hassle. That was before 9/11, I am not sure if it will be that easy now.

Anyone with any experience to share?

everything that gets on a plane gets x-rayed !!! :wink:

in the worst case they will ask you to come down to the
check in desk and they will open the
bag in your presence (seen loads of vibrating bags that
ended up having dildos left with batteries in them :))

you have nothing to worry as long as your are not carrying
brake fluid ,gearbox oil etc .

the weight limit on a single bag cant go over 32 kgs due
to health and safety regulations !!!
you can take many bags as you like as long
as they are not over 32kgs and of course you
are willing to pay the excess charge.