PDA

View Full Version : Parking Loopholes?

El_Douglito
26-04-2007, 16:12
Hey guys,

I just nipped into town to speak to the local Peugeot dealers about a part for my mums car, but couldn’t find a space. Seeing the next door’s company car park was completely empty I left the Williams in there. On returning about 5-10 minutes later the fat, obnoxious traffic slag had slapped a ticket on.
While admitedly that I had not parked in there to use that specific company, the £100 fine is not just steep (£40 more than the council charge), but in an empty visitor’s section of a business car park, it seems completely unreasonable.
Anyway, the point is I can’t really afford this charge and was wondering if any of you chaps can think of a legally sound technicality that would allow to justice prevail?

Thanks for any advice,

Doug

(BTW, it was not a city council employed traffic warden, but an external company, giving no telephone number, website, address or appeals procedure)

darrenm1eqn
26-04-2007, 17:11
Thats a tricky one , i'd goto citizens advice and ask them ...

nyk
26-04-2007, 17:35
You have no come back, it is private land, and if there was a sign displaying patrons only, and you clearly was not a customer or employee of this company, you will have to pay it I'm afraid.

wavy
26-04-2007, 17:37
is it a council traffic warden or 1 that works for the company
because it must be private land belonging to company so council wouldnt have any right to book you would they ?

i dont know this for a fact but id be well pissed off at £100 fine and look for every loop hole i could
good luck :)

El_Douglito
26-04-2007, 18:32
The ticket was issued by a Private Parking Company and is not affiliated with the council in any way.
Basically by parking there I think I contractually agreed to their terms and conditions and violated them by not being an official visitor.
The official offence as written on the Parking Charge Notice states that I had not signed at the reception and didn’t have a permit.
I’m off now to check the signage as from memory I don’t think it explained in order for me to be classed as a visitor I needed to sign.
It’s a long shot, but according to a source Private Parking Companies have no legal validity and with a good enough argument can be beaten.

If anyone else has been caught short I’ve found a great forum that has some very valid points and cases that could save the day. http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=30

Cheers for the feedback,
Dougs

BristolSam16v
26-04-2007, 20:13
Afaik there has to be a clear notice stating the T&Cs etc if not then you might have a case.

white16valver
27-04-2007, 16:55
As above, Pepipoo is the place to ask :)