PDA

View Full Version : Think my starter motor has packed in. Advice please!

Imperial_16v
19-04-2007, 17:13
Hey guys n' gals. ;)

I went to start the Valver tonight and she was dead... yet again. Heard the fuel pump prime and then no clicks or anything. Battery is ok by the looks of things (it should be, it's new!). Had the Alternator replaced also a few months ago. All the electrics are working ok and the immobilier turns off fine.

I had to get my dad with me to bump start her down the road and she fired up...spluttering into life. Turned around after giving it the beans and parked on the drive again. Thought I'd try starting her up and I hear a nice screech sound as if something has died/jammed and then silence, just like before.

Does this sound like the starter motor has packed in? How hard are they to replace? (I have a Haynes).

Secondly, I believe the one currently fitted is the high output model from BB Performance. Is there a need for this? Or could I buy a standard one from GSF for £30 instead of £250!!!!

Thanks for any help! :)

(Also posted on RSC Forum).

dan-hipgrave
19-04-2007, 17:41
Yeh sounds like starter solenoid has siezed. For a cheapo fix try giving it a whack with something - might free it off..

I believe its a pain in the arse to change, i did mine while the engine was out so cant tell you how hard it is in the car mate. Not a lot of space though.

I dont see any reason why a high output one would be needed?? GSF did me one fine.

Imperial_16v
19-04-2007, 17:44
Yeh sounds like starter solenoid has siezed. For a cheapo fix try giving it a whack with something - might free it off..

I believe its a pain in the arse to change, i did mine while the engine was out so cant tell you how hard it is in the car mate. Not a lot of space though.

I dont see any reason why a high output one would be needed?? GSF did me one fine.

Thanks fella, that's what others have said about the high output version. I might just go and buy the GSF one if I have to.

Just read through the Haynes, only 2 spanners, but sounds awkward. Alot of removing of parts to get to it... doesn't help when you don't have a Garage to work in either.

MAXIBOY
19-04-2007, 21:11
high output only needed if you have a higher compression engine that need a lot of cranking

Clio_GTT
19-04-2007, 21:37
If you get the GSF item you'll more than likely get the more modern willy/megane style starter from hella. This is a good starter but won't go straight on. The starter is bolted to the gearbox casing via three bolts but also via a small bolt out of its arse onto a bracket that bolts to the block, this bracket will need to be removed if you use the willy/megane starter on the valver block.

Nice starter tho :D

bass_direct
19-04-2007, 22:46
i fitted a willy starter with no bracket on mine, it's not that hard, took around 20 mins

VIPERONE
19-04-2007, 23:05
i fitted a willy starter with no bracket on mine, it's not that hard, took around 20 mins

seconded

bass_direct
19-04-2007, 23:31
yeah only 3 bolts, power feed and solenoid wire.. to do

make sure you disconnect battery before you begin :)