PDA

View Full Version : Laura's 172 Vs Wayne's 1.8 16v

J o n
27-03-2007, 08:52
Went for a dual last night, both cars 2 up and suffice to say Laura's 172 easily had the legs and pulled in every gear. The only time it struggled was from a 40mph roll where Wayne opted for 2nd instead of 3rd and pulled away, but by 6500rpm in 3rd we were passing him at quite some pace. She's deffo got a quickun though.

Will report again on the outcome when Wayne has his F7R with cams, headwork and remap in there... think it will be the other way round then tbh

2 live
27-03-2007, 09:07
tis all but out now.jus eng mounts holdin it in ;)

J o n
27-03-2007, 09:15
so Wayne should be about ready to have his converted then you reckon? oh, the cams that are in it are almost deffo Piper 270's, but apparently Nick times out the lumpy idle etc, so I'm getting hold of the correct timing figures so they can be timed in agressively. Will you be able to do that, or is it just easier to take it to Wayne and get it mapped too, as he's decided to go for more power before wide track lol

2 live
27-03-2007, 09:25
well that would explain why it feels so slow tbh.

will have to have a look see...has it got verniers on?

Taylor
27-03-2007, 09:37
I WON NER NER NER NERRRRR NER
:lol:

i got bored changing at 6k in the end giving him a head start

1st gear i pulled his pants down well n truly , i actually felt bad :(
yes he will prob beat me when hes got the 2.0 in BUT as i said im 19 so i really cant justify modding my car to end up spending 3k plus on insurance

J o n
27-03-2007, 10:32
well that would explain why it feels so slow tbh.

will have to have a look see...has it got verniers on?

yeah it's got Piper verniers on it Jon. It just wants timing up properly and a decent remap and I think it's gonna fly then!

Laura, you may still do okay with the timing on the cams as they are... after that it's deffo good night though... well, until my cat cams go in yours :)

Taylor
27-03-2007, 10:37
or untill i get the porka :P

J o n
27-03-2007, 11:02
A Boxster wont do much to a camm'd hybrid... my aunt had one and I could leave that in the Williams below 100 easily... still, I know what I'd rather have!

Taylor
27-03-2007, 11:05
well it will be a boxer S hopefully

Winston
27-03-2007, 11:24
See your fishing on clio16valver lol

Taylor
27-03-2007, 11:25
was curious to see exactly what people thought it would be as i was scared it would be alot closer

J o n
27-03-2007, 12:25
With Jean Ragnotti driving both, on a bumpy dusty back road with rocks and sheep, the valver would win. Not only would it gets where its going faster, but the driver would have a bigger smile on his face.

On a straight duel carriageway, with some undertalented forum poster driving both, the 172 would win. Purely because it has a better power to weight ratio (even if its a good valver v a bad 172). But it would be a lot closer than people on forums claim.

The steering feel on the 172 is really pretty bad. The servo assist is rediculously strong. And there is rather rubbish feedback. I never found the driver position bad, as i like to sit high up in my cars so i can see the front of the bonnet (just how i like to drive). I really cant see the appeal of these cars. Not only are they badly made, they are also rubbish to drive.

The trophyss are actually worse, as they just feel like a 172 on some crappy ebay lowering springs. The trophy bumps and crashes down the road. Just why people believe the marketing hype from one particualr magazine concerning these is beyond me. One drive and they should realise that if a car is bouncing down a B road, then its probably a bad thing. It just goes to show that ppl will believe any bullshit, if it comes from someone they deem in authority. I really dont see the Evo staff as particularly qualified to comment on how good a car handles, i managed to keep pace with one writer round bedford north circuit for lap after lap in my williams in the wet, no problem and im far from experienced (he was in a golf gti, new shape with DSG). Does that make me qualified to say the trophy is shit???

The last point i think that lets down the 172 is the rear end. Its has very poor stability and if you really push it, it makes you feel like you will die quickly in a hedge. I dont think renault ever set up the independent rear suspension properly, and they have now gone back to a torsion bar on the 197, and from my small drive of it, this has sorted out the rear end.

Well, more shite from the one who calls himself the King... Sadly Ragnotti was at Tesco's with his clone when we went out, otherwise he said he'd have driven both to test dear Robby boys theory... now, time to cut through the crap... this was not the rally course that seems to enter every Stromba post, this was as you can tell a straigh line test to test 'purely' the acceleration of each car. Now as these were rolling starts there's not much science needed, select a gear and go, sure, there may be some fractions of a second difference in who gets on the power first, but it was Wayne most of the time in any event, not only that but 40mph roll with the 172 in 3rd and the valver in 2nd. It's worth noting Laura's car will do about 70mph in 2nd too... so, handling is irrelevant, but I agree that as standard a valver handles better, but the problem is the power difference was huge, so the handling isn't enough to overcome the sheer grunt.

In Roberts 3rd paragraph he whitters on about steering feel... now this is one of two things. A) he's never driven one, or B) he's lying to himself once again to satisfy his ego about his sheds. 172 steering weight is similar to a Williams, that much is pretty obvious to anyone that's driven one, feedback is similar also, not as good but not far off... the main difference is the handling... but that's got nothing to do with this thread... as for the Trophy what a load of shit, clearly never driven one :roll: I pitty the fool

Taylor
27-03-2007, 12:36
http://www.ritilan.com/archives/images/2005/03/08/mr-t-mom.png

please i dont want this to turn into a wc vs stromba thread though

J o n
27-03-2007, 12:41
pmsl, right, now where is photoshop...

2 live
27-03-2007, 17:41
lol.......he likes to shoot himself in the foot doesnt he??

hes been going on about how right the evo team are in respect of choosing his car to test in 1 feature and had nothing but praise and adulation for them, with the ' my cars the best handling drivers car top 3'...now they dont agree with him they a shower of shit lol.

robby boy..................... :roll:

Andyvalver
27-03-2007, 18:32
One bit is actually right. In the real world in a straight line a valver vs a 172 is closer than people say. Yeah the 172 wins but but everyone ive come against only pull 4 or so cars to 100+. I think its different if each car has 3 people in cuz vavlers have feck all torque and will lose by a bigger margin. :)

DaveH
27-03-2007, 18:42
My valver is dog slow with more than me in it lol but even so it would still get whooped by a 172 (just driver).

Andyvalver
27-03-2007, 18:58
My valver is dog slow with more than me in it lol but even so it would still get whooped by a 172 (just driver).

Whooped? This is what i mean. Word like that exaggerate things. You would get whooped if you were driving a 1.2 nova. :wink:

Country lanes and a valver would in the rear veiw mirror of a 172 or type r, even if the drivers swapped round too.

DaveH
27-03-2007, 22:51
No on a country lane the gap wouldnt be great but i thought we were talking about straight line drag races? For example at pod ANY 172 runs the 1/4 a second quicker than my car and a second in distance on tarmac is a lot. I would consider that to be a whoopin not an exaggeration :D

J o n
27-03-2007, 23:49

Whooped? This is what i mean. Word like that exaggerate things. You would get whooped if you were driving a 1.2 nova. :wink:

Country lanes and a valver would in the rear veiw mirror of a 172 or type r, even if the drivers swapped round too.

this was a whoopin, Wayne's signed up here, sure he'll be able to confirm. Not on that but I have the vid of 3rd vs 2nd gear and Laura changed at 6500rpm instead of 7200rpm and was passing by the end of the gear... Not sure how fast his valver is, but it's been very well looked after in the engine department. His other one was deffo faster though, but I think Laura's 172 is pretty fast. Would like to know how it fares against a Williams or Hybrid, I think it will hold its own, but its hard to tell being in the car and not against it.

stan
28-03-2007, 01:01
I would defo expect a 172 to spank a valver tbh.

Ive driven a fair few of both, and ive yet to drive a valver which is 172 pace.

J o n
28-03-2007, 08:46
I would defo expect a 172 to spank a valver tbh.

Ive driven a fair few of both, and ive yet to drive a valver which is 172 pace.

ditto, fastest valver I have been in were Wayne's old black valver and Paul K's silver one, they were freakishly quick as Paul used to give Visceral a good run as did Wayne's

Daz.
02-04-2007, 18:05
Gotta agree with this I didn't keep up too well in my old valver against a cup - I was angry with it lol then I decided I needed an f7r