PDA

View Full Version : Motorsportworld - Avo - My Experience

arj256
12-12-2006, 15:23
As i enjoy wasitng money i thought i would share my experience..

I ordered my Avo Coilover kit for my Williams about a month and abit ago from Motorsportworld.
When i ordered the kit, i asked for the kit to be supplied with 180lbs springs instead of the normal 250lbs springs which they came with.
I had based the decision for having 180lbs springs, as at the time i had Gaz coilovers which came with 200lbs springs which where 9" in length.
And they where a nice poundage for bumpy road use.
So when i got the kit, i fitted it to the car and it was far to low, i wound the spring seats up as high as i could safely put them and it was still to low.
I was hitting the arches when i turned and i couldnt operate the standard jack under the car.
So i measured the springs which i had been supplied and they where 6" in length.
So i rang up Avo asking what length springs they normally supply the kit with.
And they said with 250lbs springs they had a 8" spring length.
So the springs that i had been supplied with where 2" to short.
According to Avo they recon that the springs are too soft anyway, but i would disagree as the Gaz have 200lbs so 20lbs difference isnt massive in the scale of things.
So i rang up Motorsportworld to complain about the springs.
And they said that as i specified spring poundages its my fault.
But when i ordered the springs, i was under the assumption that with giving the spring poundage they would supply the springs with the correct length to work on the car.
Which they didnt.
And they wont do anything about it other than offer to sell me some new springs..
So im stuck with a kit which isnt road legal and a leaking sump.
I now need to buy the correct springs which they should of supplied in the first place.
So im not happy with the aftersales from Motorsportworld.
And im not to impressed with the Avos performance.
Waste of money imo.

Foz
12-12-2006, 16:15
Sounds a bit harsh, do the springs fit standard 16v shocks?

northy
12-12-2006, 16:19
no foz - the springs are for coilovers not struts.

Foz
12-12-2006, 16:25
ok :D

Laine_16v
12-12-2006, 16:42
Should it not have been your responsibility to find out they were the same length before changing your mind to have them?

Martin
12-12-2006, 18:55
Not good service that imo

richy
12-12-2006, 19:27
have to say i never had any problems with MSW or AVO, when my avo's was leaking i contacted msw and they sorted it all out for me, got the coilovers back with new dampers fitted, so cant complain.

MattyH16valver
12-12-2006, 19:48
I've gone down the lowering route on my hybrid with coilovers and kind of wish that I did'nt with the hassel that I've had with having to grind away some of the hubs...struts rubbing on wheels and camber problems...definately won't be getting any for my williams. I've got some FK's and they don't seem very good on the customer service side of things.

Justin..
12-12-2006, 20:15
cant see how its your fault. you specified a difernet poundage spirngs not different lenghts. if they knew theyre shorter they should have told you

eternalife
12-12-2006, 22:20
ok - so you ordered something that wasnt what you wanted..

1st of all - there is a law that relates to buying on net allowing you to change your mind (this relates to net purchases)

secondly, did they inform you the springs were not road legal?
thirdly - although u specified the poundage you did not specify length as has been mentioned before...

Course of action - write to MSW - write down the problem etc - and tell them what you would like doing - also put in your letter a 10 working day reply guideline. Send your letter by recorded delivery so you have proof it has been sent and delivered.

Next if you have no reply - go to your local citizens advice bureau - sit down with one of the solicitors and get them to send a letter. Once they have sent the letter regarding cost of damages im sure things will change.

I have purchased many things from the net and have run into quite a few problems - my knowledge of the law although limited - I have recovered costs from some huge companies who I will not mention.

Anyhow, get everything in letter format (so its on paper and admissable in court - IIRC emails are not valid in a court room)

Then get some free legal advice at citizen advice bureau and take it from there.

Hope this helps...

FATBOY
12-12-2006, 23:03
go into the shop and kick off (with other customers around) and when other customers are around they hate a scene and normally rectify the situation ASAP

POWARTEK
13-12-2006, 03:11
your correct in saying the springs the length of the spring is the problem only, in which case you have a valid point. AVO are not unreasonable and im sure they can/will swap the springs over.

Zollo
13-12-2006, 10:30
Just phone them up again and tell them you'll be taking things further and contacting CAB.

If they think that the springs you ordered are faulty, surely they shouldn't have sold them to you in the first place? :?

stew
13-12-2006, 17:59
ive never had any problems with avo at all. i know many happy customers, have had excellent after sales help from them, always been very helpful to me.

maybe its because you wanted different springs that things went wrong. mine have been spot on!

J_A_R_B
18-12-2006, 09:10
arj256

How is this goin have you managed to resolve this as yet?